Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: US election thread?

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Stick tap for the Avatar Change.

Just say'n.
    Cheers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

at the risk of AW and I going off again... it won't happen, at least not here, not now...

but

AW, if you had the option of making Trump a silent advisor to another face of the republican party where Trump could "work his perceived magic" with the economy and let a different personality be the actual "Face" and "Voice" of the party, would you want that? Or, are do you support Trump in more aspects than just his "Economic Strengths" (independent of Covid?).

Serious question. I wonder how many Republican supporters actually are "happy/proud/100% in support of all he says" of Trump as a leader vs what Trump's contribution can do for the party and...American people.

I ask this because of the self identified "trump supporters", north of the Border who seem to support him as if he were also Canada's Prime Minister. Most of which (that I know) are Business people and entrepreneurs.

Does the average Republican support "All Things Trump" or "Trump's perceived business savvy" in spite of the controversy drummed up over what actually comes out of his mouth that is considered "offensive" but relatively unrelated to economics? I hope I said that ok. Honestly looking for perspective and not to fire up extreme remarks on either side.
    Last edited by havanablast21; November 3, 2020 at 4:27 PM. Reason: Seriously, just interested and I have no follow up to whatever the answer is.

Dobber Sports Deity

I wonder, should Trump lose, how many Republicans will openly come out and say how they really feel about Trump and his presidency. I can't wait to see them jumping off the bandwagon in droves.

Wait for it. You know it's coming, should he lose.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Pretty sure the way it's structured now was based off of when slaves were allowed to vote, but their vote counted as 3/5th a vote. It's something weird like that where the system doesn't quite make sense anymore because it was based off of slaves getting a vote. I can't remember the full reason, but it's something that had to do with slaves counting as 3/5ths a vote.
    Slaves could never vote.
    What you are referring to known as the 3/5th compromise. It did not have directly to do with the electoral college but did indirectly effect it...
    The 3/5ths compromise came about when slave owing states and non-slave owing states (generally South/North) were arguing over how to count slaves in the US census
    The 3/5ths compromise stated that when completing the US census slaves would be counted as 3/5s of a person.

The US Census is conducted every 10 years and used to apportion representatives in the US House of Representatives. Thus, the higher a states population the more Representatives it receives.
    A State wants to have more Representatives because that gives it more votes, and power, in the House (of Representatives).
    Further, a State's electoral college total is House Seats + Senate Seats (always 2)

So the 3/5th compromise set a state's population for purposes of the Census, which determined number of Representatives, where Reps + 2 = electoral college votes.

The Electoral Vote was also drafted into the original US Constitution.

There were a few valid reasons for the EC at the time it was drafted including:

-practicality, each state only had to send a small number of voters to Washington;
    - some argue it was designed/allowed for EC voters to ignore/over rule "the mob" were they to elect a person unworthy of the Office. Known as a "faithless elector" it is still theoretically legal for an EC voter to vote different then his state. some states have fines for such an act but the vote would, to my knowledge, be counted.
    -it in theory acknowledges that the USA is a "loose collection of States" with a weak central government.

The EC's original intent has been thwarted by a bunch of factors which now make it out-dated:

- the internet and information age, allowing all citizens to know how states voted
    - states passing laws to limit faithless electors, and the winning party getting to pick the electors.
    - the Cap on the House of Representatives at 435. This is the single biggest issue as this cap, combined with the massive population disparity between California and Wyoming, means a voter in Wyoming has 57x more say in the President then California.
    - Winner Take all States. Tall but 2 states are "winner take all" get 50%+1 vote and you get every electoral college vote. This leads to zero campaigning in the the "safe states" which gives 35+ states basically zero access to the candidates. This could be dampened if more states went to the split model used by Nebraska and NE (each district gets 1 EC vote and the state wide winner gets the 2 senate votes). However this leads to the other big problem, gerrymandering

Anyways, EC had some reasonable intentions given the political ideals, size of country and weak federal government of 1787. Now it is totally outdated and means the middle 10% of voters in the middle 15 states (politically) decide the entire Presidency.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Immortal

Goodluck humanity!!!!

Dobber Sports Ace

This only get's ugly once Biden losses which will be shortly and by a "LANDSLIDE" … Then will see the usual suspects wake up from their parents basements and come out from the cracks to once again begin burnin and a lootin in "peaceful Protest" … George Soro's BLM and ANTQUUiFA ...
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

Dobber Sports Stud

^^^ Good i need a new pair of kicks

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 5hole View Post
    This only get's ugly once Biden losses which will be shortly and by a "LANDSLIDE" … Then will see the usual suspects wake up from their parents basements and come out from the cracks to once again begin burnin and a lootin in "peaceful Protest" … George Soro's BLM and ANTQUUiFA ...
    What’s your definition of “Landslide”?I think I’ve seen others state 400 or more EC votes?

Dobber Sports Star

Florida looks like Trump’s. North Carolina and Ohio will be huge.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well finally fired up the interwebs and looks like it will be really close and a long night. Not sure I have much good to say about society right now.

Dobber Sports Padawan

President Trump -300 now on betting sites.

He's gone from dog to favourite.
    NC is crazy close.
    PA will be huge, as everyone knew going in.

Still too early.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Looks like it's going to be a Trump victory with non-majority of votes
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Star

How ironic would it be if Trump wins the popular vote and loses the electoral College?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

Curious the amount of votes that get counted between 11:59pm Tuesday and 11:59pm Wednesday.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Looking like the remaining ballots will be key. They better count them or no wall is going to protect Trump.