Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 10

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 2020 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 10

Much like Kofax, I didn't do much prep. I also found a list I liked as far as their early player rankings and pre-ranked my top 100 in Yahoo right off their sheet. I omitted a couple of players that I just didn't like but that was mainly my prep.

1.3 - Ezekiel Elliott. The easiest choice I had to make at 3rd overall. I actually had them pre-ranked at CMC, Zeke and Barkley so I was more than happy to have Zeke at 3rd overall.

2.26 - Lamar Jackson I said I wanted to stick to my pre-draft rankings as much as possible but would drift up and down a spot or two if it fit my roster better. I was hoping to snag my 2nd RB with this pick and the guy I was looking at as the draft was rolling was Chris Carson. Unfortunately he went two picks before mine. I normally never take a QB this early, but there's so very few guys I consider to be elite (I hate that word) at each position and Lamar definitely fits that, and I love running QBs so I said screw it and took the next guy on my list.

3.31 - Leonard Founette - He was next on my ranking and I won't like and say I am a big Fournette pick, but as I say, he was next and it was nice to get my 2nd starting RB. Is it sad that this early in the draft, no one really excited me to draft?

4.54 - Stefan Diggs - As per Yahoo's draft grades, I was the last GM to draft a WR at this point, which I had no idea of. That played nothing into my choice to draft Diggs. I actually think Buffalo is going to have a solid offense and Diggs will be a huge part of it. I was quite happy to see him at this point. My hope was to get Mark Andrews but again, went two picks before mine.

5.59 - Zack Ertz - After missing out on Andrews, I was happy to see Ertz roll down to me. In my rankings, the first tier of TEs ended with Ertz so his being in my drift range worked good enough for me. I did look at Montgomery and Singletary for a backup RB at this point as well, but both had question marks around them that scared me off.

6.82 - Deebo Samuel - Samuel was next on my rankings and as a Niners fan, I was happy to see him there. He might miss the first week due to foot surgery but he might be back in time too. Either way, I was happy to see Samuel and think once he's back, he can be huge.

7.87 - Brandin Cooks - Wasn't looking for another WR but again, trying to stick to my rankings, there wasn't much around here for RBs without reaching too far. I am hoping Cooks can have a bounceback season after his trade to Houston. Hopkins left a big hole and I am hoping Cooks can fill it.

8.110 - Sony Michel I generally tend to avoid NE RBs because they are always such a damn crapshoot as to whos getting the rock but Michel was next in my queue from my rankings and was there for quite a few picks. I had him pretty much right after Cooks. I assume his injury kept some from taking him prior to this, seeing as he's one of the few incumbent starters still left anywhere in this range. That and he's battling Damien Harris for snaps too maybe. Stand by for more on that.

9.115 - Mike Williams - I actually had Williams down as one of my "sleepers" for this draft and hoped he would slide due to his injury to his shoulder. At this point, I am drafting backups anyway so I can afford to wait on his return. I hope this one pays off later in the season.

10.138 - Mecole Hardman - This was probably the one pick that hurt the most. I was waiting for Zeke's handcuff, Pollard, to drop down to me. I guess I waited one round too long on taking him as he went three picks before me, again to rataylor. Hardman was next up in my queue so I grabbed another backup WR.

11.143- Damien Harris - I figured at this point I might as well grab the NE handcuff to Michel. Both right now are bench guys but both could turn out to be smart picks if both start producing.

12.166 - KC Defense - Only a few rounds left so I snagged my 7th ranked team D. There was a bit of a run on D in this round and didnt want to get left behind so I reached off my draft rankings here but at this point, does it really matter.

13.171 - Robby Anderson - At this point, its just scrubs/WW fodder but Yahoo liked my Anderson pick as my "biggest steal" in my draft recap. We'll see I guess.

14.194 - Zane Gonzalez - I figured I'd do something different and not wait until the last round to get my kicker, so I did it one round earlier.

15.199 - Teddy Bridgewater - Last pick and I wanted to grab a backup QB or TE here just to have for bye week. I didnt see much for TE, or QB for that matter, but I do like Teddy so I said screw it. We'll see if he's even still on my roster come Lamar's bye week but who knows. There wasnt much for either TE or QB left at this point.

As a wrap up, I was happy with my draft. Got a B- from yahoo but who cares about that. I filled my starters with the guys I wanted for the most part and the backups are just there for injury replacements and bye weeks. I think my starters will compete with most but I've thought that in years past too LOL! I got one of the best QBs and RBs so those positions are my main focus.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Usually my strategy is to get at least 2RBs in the first three rounds, round out with five total RBs and WRs by round 5, then grab a TE and QB in round six and seven. RBs and WRs from there, with team D in about round 12 to get ahead of the curve a little, and then kicker in round 14, again to get ahead of the curve.

I did almost no research for this, and didn't even have a top 10 set for my first pick.

Got MaHomee's Gurley:

1.10 - Mixon was probably the pick here, but I don't trust Cincy and I didn't like his injury history. A first round pick can't lose the year for you, like it did with Bell for me last year. Mahomes won't lose me the year anyways, so that was my logic taking the top QB in my mind, and seeing who slipped to 19.

2.19 - Really wanted a RB here, and Jones was the best available. Debated a TE too but going QB/TE with the first two pick probably would have set me too far back elsewhere.
    Doing things again I probably would have grabbed Drake in round one and then one of the QBs in round 2, but I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

3.38 - Basically going to my normal draft strategy with early RBs but a round late. Gurley was the next best option and he was at the top of my list from the start of the round.

4.47 - Needed my first WR and it came down to the Seattle pair. I love Metcalf and he makes some huge plays, but Lockett has similar upside and is a little safer. Metcalf went three picks later.

5.66 - Debated between Swift and Landry, but felt I needed the WR more. Owned Landry last year and he was pretty solid. I like hearing about the rebound year from Mayfield too and that should help the offence.

After round five, between Mahomes, Gurley, Landry, and Lockett, I had some good names to come up with a team name too. Wanted something with my star player Mahomes, and I liked the fit of the sound of Mahomees with Gurley. Couldn't come up with much better than what I have now, but I'll keep thinking on it. Tough to follow up the all timer name from last year.
    Updated the name mid-draft too just for some added spice.

6.75 - Dobbins went right before me, so I took the best RB still on the floor in Howard. Hopefully he at least gets some volume in Mia. Didn't know Breida was also there or I may have tried to grab him next.

7.94 - Needed my TE, and I owned Gronk last year. Might as well roll the dice again this year when he's actually playing. Not much to lose at this point in the draft and a lot to gain. Sounds like he's looking good, and still has Brady feeding him the ball.

8.103 - Surprised to see no one jumped on the upside of Hockenson yet, so I took him for a second high-upside TE option. We'll see how that plays out, but I like having options there as TE is always a mess for me.
    Breida went three picks later.

9.122 - Sammy Watkins has some nice upside to pair with Mahomes. He'll be hurt at some point, but so is just about everyone else in the NFL.

10.145 - Tevin Coleman was the guy I wanted and he got sniped right before my pick. Decided to get my second QB in Mayfield. Can cover the bye week and means that if Mahomes goes down I have a decent filler. Pairs with Landry too.

11.164 - AJ Dillon was the first of the RB handcuffs I wanted to shore up my top two. Sounds like there were one or two guys also eyeing him soon after.

12.173 - I thought I could wait on Freeman and/Ito Smith, and really I had no idea which would be in line for the workload if Gurley went down, so I decided to get my round 12 defence. They don't have Brady this year on offence to minimize the number of plays against them, but I'm hoping for a little more TD magic from my D.

13.192 - Well, Freeman went, so I grabbed Smith. Also was looking at Zuerlein here but he went the pick before me as well.

14.201 - Got my kicker - Matt Gay. I usually try to go for guys that have more projected 40+ yard FGs, as I find they tend to have bigger games. It's worked surprisingly well for me the last few years.

15.220 - DeSean Jackson. Drafted him late last year and he got 30 points in week 1 before I flipped him for a RB. Why not hope for the same?

All in all, I feel like I'm average across RB, and WR. TE I like the upside, QB I love my duo. DEF and K are crapshoots but I'm comfortable with them.
    Yahoo loved my draft and has me with an A- grade, an 11-2 record, and the weakest quality of competition through the season. So that means I'm going to finish last and this will be my last ever year in tier 1. It was nice knowing you guys!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My prep consisted of two speed mocks on ffpros.
    So... honestly, my research was between 10-15min... with some IN-DRAFT quick internet searches in mid-to-late rounds on "value picks" and "sleepers".
    I use that to replicate my draft position (#5) in a league of non-standard size such as ours (14-teams)...
    and see what players fall to me.

RB was a lock at #5, I think everybody agrees.
    For me, it's Dalvin Cook over Henry in 0.5ppr.
    I just have more faith in Cook's floor over Henry... and I'm trying not to get relegated with my minimal effort level here!!!

On the return, I'm not really fond of Chris Carson at #24... but I'm even less fond of what was left on the table: D.Johnson/Fournette/Taylor.
    I was prepared for the heart-break of watching exactly the five I was hoping slip... three RBs (A.Jones/Ekeler/Connor) and two TEs (Kittle/Kelce).
    Meh, that's fantasy football with keeners... the guys get picked.
    As much as it was nice to pick at #5... it felt like the talent drop off was in round 2 from pick #23 to #24 (mine).

I was pretty sure that if I take a RB, there's still a good WR left on the table for my 3rd rounder at #33 - which there was - in Mike Evans.
    I don't see a shitload of difference if I would've picked Golladay or A-Rob or Godwin or Thielen... though I did want to own Thielen for a season.

I kind of would've liked Mostert - but he was pegged in that big 18 pick range between my 3rd rounder (33) and my 4th rounder (52).

After having RB-RB-WR... I basically wanted a solid WR/TE/QB to fill the starters.
    4th - DeVante Parker (meh, solid)
    5th - Kyler Murray (excited at that potential)
    6th - Evan Engram (I think there are big things, I reached)

Then solid back-ups
    7th - Julius Edelman (He runs easy routes, so whoever is NE QB1 should be able to feather the ball in there)
    8th - James White (Doubling down on easy-throw NE targets)
    9th - Adrian Peterson... I needed a Week 6 bye RB after having two.

After round 9, I went with high-upside players... not caring if I was reaching:
    10th - Jerry Jeudy (WR-DEN)
    11th - Alan Lazard (WR-GB)
    12th - Gardner Minshew (QB-JAX)

13th - Eric Ebron (TE-PIT)
    14th - Jam.Williams (RB-GB)
    15th - got internet booted... I think I auto-drafted the PHI-D

I don't have a kicker yet... but I'll pick one up the morning of first Sunday.
    One or two or five of my picks will be duds by then!!!
    Ebron and Jam probably gonna hit the wire sooner than later!

Now... just gotta pick a team name!
    How 'bout... Kyler Yamamurray!?
    Nah... got some thinking to do.

Dukes of Lazard... nah.
    Judge Jeudy... nah.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Might as well recap my picks. Wasn't sure what to expect, especially being at the turn.

1. (14) Kenyan Drake (Ari - RB) - Knew I wanted at least one RB out of my first two picks. Had Drake ranked higher so happy he was available.
    2. (15) Josh Jacobs (LV - RB) - Thought about Sanders but was hesitant with his injury. Tempted by J. Jones as well but figured better for me to secure two top RB to start.
    3. (42) Robert Woods (LAR - WR) - Mentioned during the chat that I had AJ Brown and Ridley ready to pick before they went immediately before me. It threw me a bit so decided to at least get Woods as I didn't think he'd fall to pick 70.
    4. (43) Raheem Mostert (SF - RB) - Thought about another WR but couldn't decide which I preferred so probably reached a bit for Mostert as my flex. If he breaks out it could work out for me.
    5. (70) Marquise Brown (Bal - WR) - Need another WR so Brown on a solid team should be productive as my WR2.
    6. (71) A.J. Green (Cin - WR) - Thought I could wait for a QB and TE so taking a chance that Green stays healthy. Little risk as my WR3.
    7. (98) Tom Brady (TB - QB) - If Gronk was available I would have gone old school with both Brady and him but alas I could only grab one. We'll see if he can have a late career productive season on a new team.
    8. (99) Marlon Mack (Ind - RB) - Holding off on the TEs so decided on Mack who is projected to start. We'll see how long he can hold off Taylor. On my bench to start so willing to wait and see.
    9. (126) Chase Edmonds (Ari - RB) - Drake's handcuff just in case.
    10. (127) Blake Jarwin (Dal - TE) - Should get looks on a top offensive team.
    11. (154) Buffalo (Buf - DEF) - Nice schedule to start the season so hopefully they can perform as expected.
    12. (155) Brandon Aiyuk (SF - WR) - Late round flyer.
    13. (182) Tyler Eifert (Jax - TE) - Gives me another option in case Jarwin doesn't pan out.
    14. (183) Chris Thompson (Jax - RB) - Just for depth - not sure if he's Fournette's handcuff but no harm this late.
    15. (210) Joey Slye (Car - K) - A kicker.

Generally ok with my team as I was able to adjust without too much last-second panic and give myself decent balance throughout. Let's see what happens when the games are played.

Now I just need to decide on a horror-themed team name...
    How 'bout "Eifert Brown in the Woods"
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I got Fournette, but I have no clue who is backup was going to be so I left that one alone. Pollard went a lot earlier than I expected so I missed out on Zeke's handcuff.
    Now you really have to let me know!!!!!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    How 'bout "Eifert Brown in the Woods"
    I don't even know what film you're referring to!

I have an idea I'm tinkering with but want to make sure it's within 20 characters.

Dobber Sports Immortal

1.13 - Tyreek - went Hill here because he was my 3rd WR and didn't expect HF to go 2 RBs!!
    2.16 - Sanders - I would have went Jacobs but if Sanders is healthy I like him much more
    3. 41 - Ridley - Love him as a breakout
    4.44 - Kupp - Elite when he plays. Hated the RBs at this point. Makes me wonder if I should have went 2 RB to start here?
    5.69 - Ronald - Hunt went right before me so I needed a RB big time. Hoping for big things.
    6.72 - Higbee - Gah. Don't love this now. I thought someone like Dobbins would last longer but he went with the next pick.
    7.97 - Cohen - Took early season play in hopes Montgomery is out.
    8.100 - Ben - QBs were flying so had to take one. Pittsburgh should be really good this year.
    9.125 - Kirk - Love the upside in this offense
    10.128 - John Brown - Just took best player IMO. Hoping Allen throws more.
    11.153 - Gio - my first injury replacement. Mixon always has issues so hoping this pays off.
    12.156 - Snell - my second injury replacement. Conner always has issues so hoping this pays off
    13.181 - Armstead!!!! Woohoo. Bye bye Fournette
    14.184 - Howard - my third injury replacement. Gronk always has issues so hoping this pays off.
    15.209 - Boykin - Late round flyer for year 2 breakout.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Gotta love yahoo. Worst draft grade, draft day projection of 10th, now projected to win the regular season and tops in the power rankings less than a week later. Good times. That being said, still means nothing until the games get going!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Are Covid players not IR eligible in football??

Dobber Sports Immortal

Oh wow we don't have IR spots???

I'm not aware of any re-draft leagues having IR spots. There may be, idk.
    @SmittysRant

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Oh wow we don't have IR spots???
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I'm not aware of any re-draft leagues having IR spots. There may be, idk.
    Could it be that, historically, if a player has been put on IR they are essentially out of the season?

With COVID, not sure whether we need a slot or two? Or are people not bothered? Or is it too late to decide? As I haven't really been active in this league I can't remember if this has been an issue before, or discussed previously.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Could it be that, historically, if a player has been put on IR they are essentially out of the season?

With COVID, not sure whether we need a slot or two? Or are people not bothered? Or is it too late to decide? As I haven't really been active in this league I can't remember if this has been an issue before, or discussed previously.
    Correct... IR in a normal season likely meant done for the year.

I definitely think it's a good thing to have this season because positive Covid players are going on the IR for 3 weeks.

But ya.... Im the new guy here so it's not up to me to decide if it's too late to add haha.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Beauty teams guys!!

My strategy was to not know about this draft until yesterday and see that the draft was almost a week ago..
    I'm gonna see how that goes!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Beauty teams guys!!

My strategy was to not know about this draft until yesterday and see that the draft was almost a week ago..
    I'm gonna see how that goes!!
    Yikes, lol! Don't forget to set your line-ups each week and pray for selective positive tests from your opponents rosters.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket