Thread: I'm in a miserable position please help me dig myself out of this

Dobber Sports Novice

Default I'm in a miserable position please help me dig myself out of this

First and foremost

12 team league

Was 4 skater 1 goalie going into this year 5 skaters 1 goalie going into next year and 6 and 1 after that

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, Util, Util, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR, IR, IR, IR+, IR+, IR+
    G A +- PPP SHP GWG SOG HIT BLK

W L GA GAA SV SHO

So i came into this year in an unexpected but amazing spot (sort of)

I came in with Mcdavid Mackinnon Matthews and Brady Tkachuk as well as David Rittich(the sort of) but I also came in with the 2nd overall pick due to injuries goalie issues and lottery luck and the last pick of the 1st rd to go with it as well as the knowledge that Matt Tkachuk wasn't being kept and then I took Kaapo at the last second thinking that adding a unicorn to those keepers would make me unstoppable I followed that up with Brock Boeser(sigh) and to compound it I ended up stuck with Martin Jones as my G2

I did manage to aggressively target amazing talent deeper(heiskanen in rd2 quinn hughes and makar in rd3 Hintz in rd7)

By midseason I had righted the ship a bit and made some moves(got my hands on Samsonov and later Elvis and Joonas as well as Saros to secure my Goal-tending for the playoffs and future) I also made a big move to trade from what was depth and overpayed by trading Kaako Hughes a 1st and a 4th for Giroux.

I rounded things out by making strong waiver moves including getting Palat and Rust and the crown jewel of my moves Dom Kubalik. I was cruising toward the championship round and then Covid happened so who knows but I think I was favored with how my goal-tending was compared to the other potential finalists

So fast forward to now

5 skaters
    1 goalie

a player pool of
    Giroux
    Makar
    Heiskanen
    Kubalik
    Mcdavid
    Matthews
    Hintz
    Tkachuk
    Mackinnon

as well as
    Elvis
    Joonas
    Samsonov
    Saros

My trade market is currently this

Giroux (a 4th for sure mayyyyybe a 3rd)
    Makar(3rd)
    Kubalik (4th)
    and that is it sadly

so without trading my picks are 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

My initial thoughts are

Keep Elvis and use rd 3/4 to secure Joonas and Samsonov

Obvious keeps Mcdavid Matthews and Mackinnon

After that I'm flummoxed. I'm leaning toward Tkachuk remaining my 4th because the SOG and hits are impossible to replace leaving the guys on the market to duke it out for the last slot

What would you guys do with this as I try to meet the dynasty expectations the top trio of keepers is deserving of.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: I'm in a miserable position please help me dig myself out of this

Welcome to the forums!
    If I'm understanding it all correctly I would keep Makar and move the others for whatever I can get.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

How long can you wait? Locking up the CLB goalies sounds like a decent plan, but if Holtby is moved, Samsonov could be a nice play. I just think then they sign a vet backup like Greiss and that could mess you up. As I write this, I think I am convincing myself to go with Saros!

So, Mic, Mack, Mathews, Makar & Matt Tkachuk and Saros
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    How long can you wait? Locking up the CLB goalies sounds like a decent plan, but if Holtby is moved, Samsonov could be a nice play. I just think then they sign a vet backup like Greiss and that could mess you up. As I write this, I think I am convincing myself to go with Saros!

So, Mic, Mack, Mathews, Makar & Matt Tkachuk and Saros
    i just dont trust them to give Saros the keys to the castle anytime soon also criminally under utilized in our league (i added him march 2nd and that was his only time rostered all year) so I think I can sit on Saros and potentially get him as a fallback option

Agree with the concept behind Samsonov but I actually think it will be Holtby returning on a 1 yr deal to rehab his value and cash in after things rebound post covid rather than bringing someone in same issue though
    also it is Brady not Matt

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by caochad View Post
    i just dont trust them to give Saros the keys to the castle anytime soon also criminally under utilized in our league (i added him march 2nd and that was his only time rostered all year) so I think I can sit on Saros and potentially get him as a fallback option

Agree with the concept behind Samsonov but I actually think it will be Holtby returning on a 1 yr deal to rehab his value and cash in after things rebound post covid rather than bringing someone in same issue though
    also it is Brady not Matt
    Even better Brady!

I'm pretty sure that unless NSH decides to really blow it up, Rinne is done getting more than 30-35 starts in a season. As far as Holby goes. I've owned him for years now, and I am VERY much looking forward to not owning him finally beginning next season. Good riddens. If WSH is smart they look for another smart PK Dman and roll Vrana on more PP and let Holtby go. Ride with rookie Samsonov and a veteran backup in a 60/40.
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Welcome to the forums, and any situation with McDavid/MacKinnon/Matthews/Makar/BTkachuk isn't miserable, unless you really like the letter M, and wish Brady's last name was Mtkachuk. If it was Matthew, you'd have the M there.

I agree that McDavid/MacKinnon/Matthews/Makar/BTkachuk makes a great keeper core, even without D required. Do you think there's any chance that your league will break out D in the near future? If so, I'd keep Makar as #5.

I think I'd prefer to run with Saros. The issue with keeping Elvis is that right now, it looks like Korpisalo is getting more run in the playoffs.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Welcome to the forums, and any situation with McDavid/MacKinnon/Matthews/Makar/BTkachuk isn't miserable, unless you really like the letter M, and wish Brady's last name was Mtkachuk. If it was Matthew, you'd have the M there.

I agree that McDavid/MacKinnon/Matthews/Makar/BTkachuk makes a great keeper core, even without D required. Do you think there's any chance that your league will break out D in the near future? If so, I'd keep Makar as #5.

I think I'd prefer to run with Saros. The issue with keeping Elvis is that right now, it looks like Korpisalo is getting more run in the playoffs.
    i concur on the Korp thing but also think because of age Elvis would be more likely to go before my 2nd rd pick comes up hence the leaning there

not sure what you mean on the D thing? As a required keeper?

Also the miserable situation refers to the excess keepers and how to not waste value in moving them after the steep overpay trying to win

Dobber Sports Superstar

Hard to keep Elvis if he not the starter. Other option is to try and trade for Korpisalo. Keep B Tkachuk as well. When do you need to declare keepers?
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Hard to keep Elvis if he not the starter. Other option is to try and trade for Korpisalo. Keep B Tkachuk as well. When do you need to declare keepers?
    Unless I'm crazy he has Korpisalo as well, just called him "Joonas", keeping it on a first name basis in Columbus.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Unless I'm crazy he has Korpisalo as well, just called him "Joonas", keeping it on a first name basis in Columbus.

Listen you try to spell both those last names after being up 31 hrs and working 2 10 hr shifts lol

Dobber Sports Ace

That the OP has both Elvis and Joonas makes me lean toward Juuse. I think we are trying to help choose which one goalie to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by caochad View Post
    Listen you try to spell both those last names after being up 31 hrs and working 2 10 hr shifts lol
    I didn't denigrate you in any way. I call him Elvis, because.... he's named Elvis. How can you not just call him Elvis. I did have to make sure Joonas was Korpisalo, though.