Thread: having minors in a fantrax league

Dobber Sports Master

Default having minors in a fantrax league

I've been on the fence in regards to starting fresh with a new dynasty format . Some days I'm full of piss and vinegar and start working on an outline of a new league then in the afternoon I'm happy that I didnt post a recruiting message because I'm that uncertain of the commit level required .

I'm in a keeper league that allows unlimited useage of minors streaming in and out of the regular lineup provided said prospect remains under the gp max threshold . I'm not about to propose a change in said league since I'll just practice what the rules allow and stream minors into regular spots like most others but I'm not really a fan of it .

If I was to start a new league I would have the pro team totally seperate from whatever farm team system the league employed so that the true sportmanship spirit of a farm team could be practiced . Think back to before fantrax had minors system available . Your league probably had a very small farm team and likely kept it on a seperate spreadhseet while you just played and were mainly concerned with pro part of team . I'm not suggesting that you go to that extreme but you could still make use of fantrax tools to create a seperation .

I'd create two divisions . One housing your pro team and the other division housing your farm team and limit call ups and send downs to a weekly limit which gm's would have to submit manually on the league board and wait for it to be processed by commish on a pre-determined day / time .

Gm's wouldnt be able to stream in and out freely / daily which would slowly turn the farm system into what it should really be in the first place .

Am I alone with my opinion that freely streaming in and out of minors to pro kinda takes the true spirit of a farm system away ?

like I say above , I'll milk the crap out of it if I'm in a league that allows it but wouldnt argue with any commish if he decided to implement what I suggest .

an example of the minor to pro streaming I did in this one keeper league in order to get more points .
    I'd pick up a guy like mario ferraro and k . mcdermid (good points in said league for hits/blocks) and stream in and out when possible using a minors spot / pro spot .

if streaming from minors to pro wasnt available I doubt either of these players would be on someones farm team in said league . Those spots would likely be utilized by half decent prospects a few years away from contributing

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: having minors in a fantrax league

I think it's dependent on what you want the farm to be.

I'm in a league which works more like the NHL, in that the minors is essentially like an AHL roster. There are veterans there who aren't good enough to be full-timers on the main roster, but you can call them up & send them down, but if they aren't waiver-exempt, then they need to clear to get sent down. Waiver exemption is salary dependent, so if they are cheap enough, there's no waivers. If someone makes claim, they have to go on the new team's active roster, and they would have to go through waivers on the new team if demoted. No waivers during off-season, so you can rejigger things then. There is a caveat that relates to callup to replace an injured player.

If you want it to be more like a juniors roster, then you have it be a pretty strict farm all the way to one with games played limits and maybe even no moves up & down.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

One league I used to be in allowed X amount of transactions for the season. Transactions included signing a free agent and calling a guy up from the minors. This prevented teams from using the minors as extra roster spots. It worked fairly well.

The Great One

In our fantrax league once a minors player gets called up from the minors he cannot get sent down again.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    One league I used to be in allowed X amount of transactions for the season. Transactions included signing a free agent and calling a guy up from the minors. This prevented teams from using the minors as extra roster spots. It worked fairly well.
    I was thinking a hybrid between your idea and my idea would work well . Adding your idea would add an extra layer of deterrant .

The Great One

Have you ever considered making a yahoo league instead of fantrax? There are tons of leagues over there with no minor systems at all (or extremely limited).

I suppose what I'm asking is: have you considered why you even want a minor league system in the first place? Or whether it's really worth it to you to craft a bunch of rules to limit how it's used?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Have you ever considered making a yahoo league instead of fantrax? There are tons of leagues over there with no minor systems at all (or extremely limited).

I suppose what I'm asking is: have you considered why you even want a minor league system in the first place? Or whether it's really worth it to you to craft a bunch of rules to limit how it's used?
    Someone would probably ensure they could handle the once a week processing of a handful of minors to pro call-ups and send downs before committing to such a process and recruit gm's that lean towards it being an acceptable part of the format .

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Someone would probably ensure they could handle the once a week processing of a handful of minors to pro call-ups and send downs before committing to such a process and recruit gm's that lean towards it being an acceptable part of the format .
    Perhaps my message didn't come across the way it was intended. I'm not saying your system wouldn't work. I was just curious if the minor league component was important to you. It was an honest question.

One thing you could consider is contacting Fantrax and requesting the ability to count minor-to-pro movement as a transaction. It would be so easy for them to implement, and I know there are a lot of leagues that would use this. I've been in a league where you've had to post these transactions, and there always seemed to be managers who'd fail to do it. My sense/experience is that most people support minor streaming simply because there is no easy way in fantrax to prevent it, and most people are lazy and want the most simple process as possible.