Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Offensive sports team names

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Offensive sports team names

So with the #BLM movement gaining huge strides, one has to wonder if this is what is finally going to help change offensive sports team names. There's a lot that have been changed over the years, but a lot of them are still out there, especially those towards Native Americans. I know metaldude has said for quite some time that he finds the name Redskin offensive for the Washington Redskins.

Then there's the Blackhawks, the Chiefs, The Braves, the Indians, and those are just the main ones from the Major Leagues. There are colleges with names that some find offensive. The Central State Chippewas, the Utah Utes and the Florida State Seminoles are some of the major college names that reference Native Americans.

What's your thoughts now on these sports team names? You think they get changed?

Yes, this is the political section of the forum but that still means forum rules apply so keep it respectful in your discussions.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Offensive sports team names

People are flipping out over the name change of Aunt Jemima syrup, so the fight over changing pro sports names should be interesting if it becomes more serious. I have no idea about if they should/could/would. I'm just a white guy from Canada, so any opinion I give would be criticized into the ground anyways.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    People are flipping out over the name change of Aunt Jemima syrup, so the fight over changing pro sports names should be interesting if it becomes more serious. I have no idea about if they should/could/would. I'm just a white guy from Canada, so any opinion I give would be criticized into the ground anyways.
    Sad but true LOL

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Honestly, the only 2 team names I find have grounds for legit change are the Redskins and Cleveland Indians.

Redskins won't change their team name with the current ownership, and the Indians likely won't either. Sad truth is native americans will still be a second thought on systemic racism in NA, so the racist team names of Native Americans likely won't change any time soon.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm not from North America, but I think with all this the deciding factor is whether the people that are described by a term are offended by it or not.

If e.g. "Seminoles" is simply the common name for these people and they call themselves this way too, I can't see a problem at all. They might even take pride in a local team flying their flag. If "Seminole" has a contemptuous connotation though, if it implies some kind of colonialistic arrogance that is still felt by these people nowadays (like e.g. the n-word), it should go without saying that such a team name is not ok.

For most of these names, I simply don't know which is true (I imagine "Redskins" doesn't go down all too well though), so this is just my perspective from the outside.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Zaitsev, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    I'm not from North America, but I think with all this the deciding factor is whether the people that are described by a term are offended by it or not.

If e.g. "Seminoles" is simply the common name for these people and they call themselves this way too, I can't see a problem at all. They might even take pride in a local team flying their flag. If "Seminole" has a contemptuous connotation though, if it implies some kind of colonialistic arrogance that is still felt by these people nowadays (like e.g. the n-word), it should go without saying that such a team name is not ok.

For most of these names, I simply don't know which is true (I imagine "Redskins" doesn't go down all too well though), so this is just my perspective from the outside.
    Ya, safe to say Redskins is probably the most offensive one on that list but as you say, it depends on how you take each name too.

Dobber Sports Titan

There's a Wiki page on the Redskins name controversy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...me_controversy
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Right now would be the best time to change the Redskins name if they are going to change. Start from the basement up haha.

Dobber Sports Sage

I have no idea about if they should/could/would. I'm just a white guy from Canada, so any opinion I give would be criticized into the ground anyways.
    As white folks we don't get to say what is offensive or not to minority groups. If a group is arguing against the name, it should be changed. And it doesn't have to be a particularly large group arguing against the name.

There was a big article in the Athletic yesterday about the Blackhawks name and logo. You can imagine some of the responses. (on Twitter since they turned off comments on the article). Anyone want to predict who from this forum will argue against changing names? Let me go to the Coronavirus thread....
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Guru

I think the Indians are working their way towards the change--they dropped the terrible logo. Wouldn't be surprised if the name changed after a while too.
    Redskins owner is so stubborn--it'll take an ownership change or an NFL intervention before that one goes.

I'm always surprised at the pushback. Nobody will stop cheering for the team if they change the name. They'll sell all new merchandise (and old merchandise will sell out since it's suddenly retro/collectable) and fans that have pushed against it will be embraced. It's so dumb. Records and history can stay the same. Easy decision IMO.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I think the Indians are working their way towards the change--they dropped the terrible logo. Wouldn't be surprised if the name changed after a while too.
    Redskins owner is so stubborn--it'll take an ownership change or an NFL intervention before that one goes.

I'm always surprised at the pushback. Nobody will stop cheering for the team if they change the name. They'll sell all new merchandise (and old merchandise will sell out since it's suddenly retro/collectable) and fans that have pushed against it will be embraced. It's so dumb. Records and history can stay the same. Easy decision IMO.
    I think in theory it is very easy to do... but I think practically it might be a bit harder.

For example.. I read that the delay in Seattle choosing there name is because the one they want to use is already being used as a fictional team name in some book and the author had it trademarked when they announced an NHL team coming to Seattle.

Or another example... Lady Antebellum decided to change their name to Lady A... but found out later that someone else already used that name and there was controversy there.

Another thing I heard recently is that there are companies out there that create the '.com' website of any popular '.ca', '.org' and so on websites. Then when the company expands and wants to purchase the '.com' domain they charge a significant amount for that company to get the .com website if the want it.

I am guessing there are people that have trademarked any names that go well with Washington in hopes that Washington is forced to change their name. And when they do they are getting a quick pay day out of it.

But yes, these I would assume should only be minor obstacles to an ownership group that can afford an NFL team.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    As white folks we don't get to say what is offensive or not to minority groups. If a group is arguing against the name, it should be changed. And it doesn't have to be a particularly large group arguing against the name.

There was a big article in the Athletic yesterday about the Blackhawks name and logo. You can imagine some of the responses. (on Twitter since they turned off comments on the article). Anyone want to predict who from this forum will argue against changing names? Let me go to the Coronavirus thread....

Exactly. My opinion does not matter. It probably shouldn't. I live in one of the wealthiest nations in the world, with a skin colour that grants me extreme privilege, have no disabilities, own a home, come from two parent working family, and have two happy kids. Nearly everything about me and my life is out of touch with people who experience life on the margins, racism, sexism etc. I've worked in the social work field in the past for many years and so I have a passing idea of some of the struggles people go through, but if I'm honest, I live a laughably easy life compared to so many people even in my own neighbourhood. I quietly do what I can to support those in my little sphere of influence (for example the school my youngest attends is probably 80% visible minority children, with a large number of them who came to Canada as refugees), but as if someone who experiences systemic racism or discrimination is going to take my thoughts on these issues seriously. Why should they?

Dobber Sports Sage

Exactly. My opinion does not matter. It probably shouldn't. I live in one of the wealthiest nations in the world, with a skin colour that grants me extreme privilege, have no disabilities, own a home, come from two parent working family, and have two happy kids. Nearly everything about me and my life is out of touch with people who experience life on the margins, racism, sexism etc. I've worked in the social work field in the past for many years and so I have a passing idea of some of the struggles people go through, but if I'm honest, I live a laughably easy life compared to so many people even in my own neighbourhood. I quietly do what I can to support those in my little sphere of influence (for example the school my youngest attends is probably 80% visible minority children, with a large number of them who came to Canada as refugees), but as if someone who experiences systemic racism or discrimination is going to take my thoughts on these issues seriously. Why should they?
    I love your response.

A friend and colleague of mine retired this past year. He is a right-wing, Fox News watcher and he would complain about racial issues all the time. He'd complain about taxes and basically everything done by the Democratic-led government in our state. One time I said to him "What are you complaining about? You are 60 years old and very well paid for being a suburban HS teacher and are about to receive a very nice pension for the rest of your life. You have greatly benefited from all the taxes you complain about. All 3 of your kids have graduated college and are successful. You have lived a very easy life compared to people around the world. You travel, have a cottage on a lake, and have a very nice social life. You won! Why do you constantly play games of whataboutisms? Why do you concern yourself so much with racial issues? You and your family have an excellent life and have absolutely benefited from white privilege. Be grateful" I am paraphrasing but that is the gist of what I said to him. He just kind of shrugged and acknowledged I was right. But he was complaining about something else soon thereafter.
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; June 26, 2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typos
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I love your response.

A friend and colleague of mine retired this past year. He is a right-wing, Fox News watcher and he would complain about racial issues all the time. He'd complain about taxes and basically everything done by the Democratic-led government in our state. One time I said to him "What are you complaining about? You are 60 years old and very well paid for being a suburban HS teacher and are about to receive a very nice pension for the rest of your life. You have greatly benefited from all the taxes you complain about. All 3 of your kids have graduated college and are successful. You have lived a very easy life compared to people around the world. You travel, have a cottage on a lake, and have a very nice social life. You won! Why do you constantly play games of whataboutisms? Why do you concern yourself so much with racial issues? You and your family have an excellent life and have absolutely benefited from white privilege. Be grateful" I am paraphrasing but that is the gist of what I said to him. He just kind of shrugged and acknowledged I was right. But he was complaining about something else soon thereafter.
    I have a father-in-law who behaves exactly the same way and the complaining never stops.

Back to the original topic about offensive team names, my local Edmonton Eskimos are going through the same consultations with various groups about changing their name that they have had since 1949. It has been mostly civil and constructive but you can figure out what the some the knee-jerk backlash has been like.

Dobber Sports Ace

Even the names that aren't essentially racial slurs are cultural appropriation at best. It's embarrassing that there is a subset of fans that would oppose changing them.