Thread: Real Life NHL Rules Question

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Real Life NHL Rules Question

I have a real life NHL rules question for the following scenario.

Let's say an RFA contract is up for a player, and he is in the AHL curently. They have played a handful of NHL games(under 11). They signed their ELC 5 years ago. If/when they sign a new contract, must they then pass through waivers and any one can claim them correct? Just wondering this for fantasy purposes, as this could affect some keeper decisions.

The Great One

Default Re: Real Life NHL Rules Question

Go to https://www.capfriendly.com. Type in your player. Then click the "waivers exempt" button - and you'll get a customized answer re: waivers for that player.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Go to https://www.capfriendly.com. Type in your player. Then click the "waivers exempt" button - and you'll get a customized answer re: waivers for that player.
    Wow. Nice feature. Thank you. Said player has 1 year remaining. Estimated waivers beginning 2020-21, so after the playoffs end he must go through waivers.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Do NHL players have to go through waivers to be called up the the NHL team? Or is it only when they are sent down to the NHL team?

The Great One

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

- When a player is reassigned from the NHL to the AHL, they must pass through waivers (unless exempt). Waivers allow any of the other teams to claim the rights of the player.
    - In the previous CBA, waivers were required when a player was recalled to the NHL (Re-entry waivers), these no longer exist under the 2012 CBA.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

- When a player is reassigned from the NHL to the AHL, they must pass through waivers (unless exempt). Waivers allow any of the other teams to claim the rights of the player.
    - In the previous CBA, waivers were required when a player was recalled to the NHL (Re-entry waivers), these no longer exist under the 2012 CBA.
    Thank you.

So if I am understanding the rules correctly and the opening question, this will only become an issue when said player starts playing in the NHL and then the NHL team decides to send him down to the AHL?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Thank you.

So if I am understanding the rules correctly and the opening question, this will only become an issue when said player starts playing in the NHL and then the NHL team decides to send him down to the AHL?
    I think this is wrong (but am not 100% certain). I do know that the wavier period starts 12 days before the season and ends 1 day after the club finishes play. My belief is that if a player if not exempt from waivers, then they would need to clear waivers at the beginning of the season to be assigned to the NHL. So waivers, I believe, is applicable even if the player hasn't starting playing in the NHL. (I think this is why you'll see youngish players as healthy scratches at the beginning of the season. I think it's a waivers thing).

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Thank you.

Not exactly. You can stop being exempt from waivers based purely on time, without any NHL games played.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thank you.

All players with NHL contracts start each season in the NHL. They need to be sent down to the AHL to play there. If they are not waiver exempt, they need to clear waivers to make it down to the AHL.