Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL 1 Per Team Draft - Discussion

The Great One

Default Re: NHL 1 Per Team Draft - Discussion

As for strategy - I have a list of players by team, with some cross over. I don't have any of superstars who only played a year or two in places, so I will be out drafted on that stuff.

I'm also trying, for fun, to get a balance of C's, LW's, and RWs. (Otherwise I'd probably end up with 16 wingers).

And if I've counted correctly, Detriot and LA Kings have 5 drafted, so I'm ignoring them. For Detroit, I'll have Datsyuk (great two way centre), but I also have a winger and D just in case those positions line up. But I can't name them, since they've played games for other teams, I suppose they could get snagged. For Kings, same thing with Kopitar. I have a few others, but can't name them.

A lot more strategy than I realized, I wish I built my list at the beginning instead of mid way through!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

While I'm not in this draft, I can say, that I stumbled upon it, and have enjoyed seeing the picks there have been some things I thought were genius, and some things I thought were ... not genius. However, I understand people have favorite players who may have played on the teams they don't root for.

The strategy of going elite versus scarce is real. I did a draft sort of like this on another website, but it was a bit more wide-ranging (Americans with categories) and it was pretty deep: 16 "teams". There's a great falloff in some scarce categories - like president, not a lot of options.

Hope you don't mind the comment from a non-participant.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    While I'm not in this draft, I can say, that I stumbled upon it, and have enjoyed seeing the picks there have been some things I thought were genius, and some things I thought were ... not genius. However, I understand people have favorite players who may have played on the teams they don't root for.

The strategy of going elite versus scarce is real. I did a draft sort of like this on another website, but it was a bit more wide-ranging (Americans with categories) and it was pretty deep: 16 "teams". There's a great falloff in some scarce categories - like president, not a lot of options.

Hope you don't mind the comment from a non-participant.
    Please chime in. You could probably start drafting now and out-wit me. lol

I both love and hated the Belfour pick. I thought about him a few times, but I just can't get past the foot in the crease. I hate everything about Dallas.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah, absolutely. The superstar vs super-scarce issue started about round 5. For example, I decided early that Canadiens had enough stars that I could wait awhile and not be burned out. Vegas, Florida, Arizona, SJS ... the drop-off is real.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post

I both love and hated the Belfour pick. I thought about him a few times, but I just can't get past the foot in the crease. I hate everything about Dallas.
    A friend of mine is a die hard Sabres fan and I recently sent him some snail mail of the foot in the crease photo along with a picture of Belfour hoisting the Cup. Just some friendly banter during these shitty times.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post

I've been in fantasy hockey for 25 years or so. If I had to make an all-overrated team, Belfour is my starting goalie.

I think one thing that you guys will find interesting is not only to look at your teams, but also who got picked for what team in what round. I'm shaking my head at the Flyers picks, for example.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I've been in fantasy hockey for 25 years or so. If I had to make an all-overrated team, Belfour is my starting goalie.

I think one thing that you guys will find interesting is not only to look at your teams, but also who got picked for what team in what round. I'm shaking my head at the Flyers picks, for example.
    Lindros was great value as he was the most dominant player when he was at his peak in Philly.. I still like the pick!! HaHa
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Yes the Bobby Clarke pick was the best pick of the draft so far right?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Nice pick Dr. Brad.. But I wanted Ted Lindsay(Detroit) over Datsyuk!! The other Red Wings taken so far are Howe, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Fedorov, and Lindsay.. I would definitely rank them all over Datsyuk, even though he was very special in his own right!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

Draft - Discussion

Nice pick Dr. Brad.. But I wanted Ted Lindsay(Detroit) over Datsyuk!! The other Red Wings taken so far are Howe, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Fedorov, and Lindsay.. I would definitely rank them all over Datsyuk, even though he was very special in his own right!!

sooo..... My plan was to pick either Lindsay (who I had in our all-time draft) or Datsyuk - was waiting for one to be chosen, then choose the other. And I agree - only one of them has an award named for him
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Monster

Wait was drafting Roenick as a Coyote controversial? I see him as a foundational Coyote kinda like Fleury is in Vegas: yes, he had a reputation before, but he became an icon in the new market as well. Plus he played there 6 years and is still 2nd in scoring. My earliest memories of Roenick are in that ugly/beautiful first Coyotes jersey. Roenick was a journeyman who you could associate with Chicago, Phoenix or Philadelphia. But he was arguably the face of the Coyotes when they became a franchise.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Big Daddy

So what’s the next draft PH? How about a nations draft where you assemble a team with national lines?

Draft a line of Canadians, Americans, Russians, Swedes and then the same on defence and goaltending. Of course we’d have to come up with a way to include Fins, Czechs and rest of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    So what’s the next draft PH? How about a nations draft where you assemble a team with national lines?

Draft a line of Canadians, Americans, Russians, Swedes and then the same on defence and goaltending. Of course we’d have to come up with a way to include Fins, Czechs and rest of Europe.
    Thats a good idea.

Another good idea that was suggest to me was one player from each draft Class from say 1999 to present day (or some range).

My thoughts for the next one is that someone else sets up the draft thread... so that two of us can be updating it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Big Daddy

Unfortunately I use my phone for all this stuff so editing threads isn’t ideal. If your stuck however, I can do my best.

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Unfortunately I use my phone for all this stuff so editing threads isn’t ideal. If your stuck however, I can do my best.
    Thanks for the offer! pmorrow has also offered... so I won't ask you to go through all that on the phone!

​​