Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

Administrator

Default Re: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

So basically I am down to whichever approach is best for me overall. The Patreon project is a long-term investment that offers next to nothing now. I can punt the project to later if it closes doors to help me get through the virus. Like I said I am not paid until May 1st so it would be easy to refund everyone and start again later.

Depending on how each benefit is taxed, CERB and EI will give me roughly the same amount. EI might be a bit more. A review process isn't much of an issue. I am living fine here. I have time to get this right.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    So basically I am down to whichever approach is best for me overall. The Patreon project is a long-term investment that offers next to nothing now. I can punt the project to later if it closes doors to help me get through the virus. Like I said I am not paid until May 1st so it would be easy to refund everyone and start again later.

Depending on how each benefit is taxed, CERB and EI will give me roughly the same amount. EI might be a bit more. A review process isn't much of an issue. I am living fine here. I have time to get this right.
    Neither is taxed. $500/wk in full
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    All issues are being deferred. Everything is just being finalized
    IF it's finalized as a CERB claim.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    IF it's finalized as a CERB claim.

Rylant
    his last day was march 27th...

Dobber Sports Star

Neither is taxed. $500/wk in full
    Well EI claims are still taxed federally and provincially. CERB claims are not taxed at this time, however, keep in mind that at tax time, CERB earnings is considered taxable income and they will expect you to pay taxes on them at that time.

Rylant

- - - Updated - - -

his last day was march 27th...
    Yep, then he doesn't even have a choice. It will be finalized as a CERB claim and they won't take your Patreon income into consideration.

Rylant

Administrator

Seems like the first 4-week period ending Apr 11 will go through CRA/CERB for the reasons listed here. The next one will get tricky and I want to get an official word from Service Canada. When I call their statement message is if I haven't yet applied for EI then do it through CRA/CERB. I have yet to speak to a human besides Rylant though. Their phone system doesn't put me on hold, just ends the call. The website is also down. I'll keep trying.

So many contradictions in all of the information...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Seems like the first 4-week period ending Apr 11 will go through CRA/CERB for the reasons listed here. The next one will get tricky and I want to get an official word from Service Canada. When I call their statement message is if I haven't yet applied for EI then do it through CRA/CERB. I have yet to speak to a human besides Rylant though. Their phone system doesn't put me on hold, just ends the call. The website is also down. I'll keep trying.
    There aren't enough lines for the volume of callers.
    They can only place X number of people on hold in a queue to speak to a call centre agent.
    The website is down due to volume of traffic. It's overloaded due to CERB.
    It's going to be the norm for the next couple of weeks...
    Today will be the worst day as CERB was launched today.

By the way.. I'm human too.

Administrator

Yes thank you. Two humans.

I have no issue with the downtime. It happens. My issue is with the contradicting info. I've had tons of info today about applying for CERB through Service Canada for the first four-week period (including the quick questionnaire you posted). OK. Then when I called Service Canada's 1-800 number their message says if I have not applied for EI yet then hang up and contact CRA. Does it even matter where I do the first CERB application?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Yes thank you. Two humans.

I have no issue with the downtime. It happens. My issue is with the contradicting info. I've had tons of info today about applying for CERB through Service Canada for the first four-week period (including the quick questionnaire you posted). OK. Then when I called Service Canada's 1-800 number their message says if I have not applied for EI yet then hang up and contact CRA. Does it even matter where I do the first CERB application?
    From everything I've been able to read... you should be applying for EI. You won't see a difference in your first 4 weeks. But with a job/income EI is the logical application.

Just the fact you can apply for CERB via Service Canada and CRA will confuse thousands of Canadians.

The language being used is poor. One of my long standing pet-peeves

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Hey Bud. Ya that is right. Like I said, this is new legislation and a new benefit, so I don't know any more about it than most. I know that they are fleshing out the details and I will post them here as I see them. At work, I am getting daily updates on the benefit, but it is just the info that was posted in that previous post so far. Details will come in soon about the exact qualifying criteria and how to apply. I will let you know as I see it.

Rylant
    Looks like I don't qualify for CERB because I have to work one or two days a week. There is no Work Sharing Program at my place of employment either so I'm better off not working at all. Hopefully the government will come up with something for us that work a bit but not enough to pay all the bills.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by sLeePickeR View Post
    Looks like I don't qualify for CERB because I have to work one or two days a week. There is no Work Sharing Program at my place of employment either so I'm better off not working at all. Hopefully the government will come up with something for us that work a bit but not enough to pay all the bills.
    If you have gone 7 consecutive days without work - EI defines that as an interruption of earnings. Which is what EI requires to apply there.

You can ask for an ROE from your employer - shortage of work on it. Be clear with them you are not quitting - some ER's don't think they can issue an ROE to someone still employed - They CAN.

On EI you can report your weekly earnings - they'll be deducted from your benefit rate.

If you haven't gone 7 consecutive days without work - perhaps you could ask your employer to schedule that type of break into a two week schedule for you (Work Mon-Tues one week - Thurs/Fri the next) to give you that Interruption

THEN you can submit an EI claim.

Administrator

My brother is in a similar situation as a self-employed guitar teacher. He lost all his income due to working in schools. We set him up so he can do lessons over Skype. But now according to the rules if he makes any money he is ineligible for CERB. It's weird because doing nothing makes him lose his connections and discourages him from trying something new that could pay off later. People should be encouraged to try something new and make a bit of money or work a couple days per week if possible. There's a way to work that in and also avoid the potential for abusing the system.

The traditional EI rules make sense. You get your benefit and lose 50% of your other income.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you have gone 7 consecutive days without work - EI defines that as an interruption of earnings. Which is what EI requires to apply there.

You can ask for an ROE from your employer - shortage of work on it. Be clear with them you are not quitting - some ER's don't think they can issue an ROE to someone still employed - They CAN.

On EI you can report your weekly earnings - they'll be deducted from your benefit rate.

If you haven't gone 7 consecutive days without work - perhaps you could ask your employer to schedule that type of break into a two week schedule for you (Work Mon-Tues one week - Thurs/Fri the next) to give you that Interruption

THEN you can submit an EI claim.
    I did not know this. I can probably work something out with my employer to stagger out my work days. Thanks for the info.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I did not know this. I can probably work something out with my employer to stagger out my work days. Thanks for the info.
    Just for your comfort sake:
    https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/eligibility.html

The following information is a guideline. We encourage you to apply for benefits so our processing agents can determine if you are eligible.
    You may be entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) regular benefits if you:

• were employed in insurable employment;
    • lost your job through no fault of your own;
    • have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
    • have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
    • are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
    • are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).

So you can look back through the previous months as well. Did you shut down for 7+ days at Christmas?
    Two weeks off for vacation does not count.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My brother is in a similar situation as a self-employed guitar teacher. He lost all his income due to working in schools. We set him up so he can do lessons over Skype. But now according to the rules if he makes any money he is ineligible for CERB. It's weird because doing nothing makes him lose his connections and discourages him from trying something new that could pay off later. People should be encouraged to try something new and make a bit of money or work a couple days per week if possible. There's a way to work that in and also avoid the potential for abusing the system.

The traditional EI rules make sense. You get your benefit and lose 50% of your other income.
    I completely agree. I understand the CERB is an emergency benefit for those with dire needs (no income) but maybe they can adjust it so it's not all or nothing. Maybe if you work 1-2 days you get half instead of the full amount.