Page 44 of 132 FirstFirst ... 34 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 54 94 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: The Coronavirus Debacle

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Bottom line, however, there is absolutely evidence that doctors think it helps. It's being used all over the world.
    Do you know where? "All over the world" is a little vague. And is it being used, or used to treat this particular virus?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Because if I try to dispute this statement by citing the examples of people who claim it saved their lives, you would correctly claim that a) they aren't doctors and b) there's no way to prove they wouldn't have lived anyway, in the absence of their hydroxychloroquine treatment. Very true.

Bottom line, however, there is absolutely evidence that doctors think it helps. It's being used all over the world.

"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things."
    - The Shawshank Redemption

Maybe cherry pick my response to the article
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    so your argument would be the same if there was a different political party in place and there was more deaths?
    No, because the number of deaths is not the point. The lifting up of the economy over human life is the point.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    No, because the number of deaths is not the point. The lifting up of the economy over human life is the point.
    So it’s not a direct correlation? The deaths are the result of COVID 19 not the political party in power.

so your comment about reaping what you sow is like something the American media does.. it tries to make everything political.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Do you know where? "All over the world" is a little vague. And is it being used, or used to treat this particular virus?
    read the article he posted. It has been used in multiple countries with 'anecdotal' results some good.. some bad.. some ------

Dobber Sports Ninja

So it’s not a direct correlation? The deaths are the result of COVID 19 not the political party in power.

so your comment about reaping what you sow is like something the American media does.. it tries to make everything political.
    I am sorry that you cannot understand the point and I am not smart enough to make it clear to you. Perhaps someone else with more patience and skill can help you understand the point.

Dobber Sports Star

You are missing the point entirely.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Correct. There is absolutely evidence there are doctors in some places who think it could help. There is not evidence it does help. Very, very different statements. It's not "being used all over the world", some places in the world are using it. Again, very different statements.

Example: https://twitter.com/hemantmehta/stat...44119545208834

There is evidence that this guy thinks this helps. There is not evidence that it does help.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Correct. There is absolutely evidence there are doctors in some places who think it could help. There is not evidence it does help. Very, very different statements.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. "Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, in Small Study"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/h...s-malaria.html

I think doctors are prescribing it because there is some evidence that it helps, albeit anecdotal. And the risks of trying it are relatively low. And there aren't any better alternatives to try.

Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.

Anecdotally, in the 1800s people were witches.

Anecdotally, vaccines cause autism.

Interestingly, the whole vaccines/autism thing came from a single small clinic trial with suspect sampling and inconclusive results. Kinda like what we have now.

Dobber Sports Sage

But 3 Novembers ago... they did not vote for Trump because they wanted death... come on.
    No, but they voted for an unqualified, irrational man. All the signs were there that he would be incompetent at the job and now we are seeing the results. We'll never know how many lives could have been saved if he started preparing for this pandemic in January like advisers recommended. Plus, his denial and flat-out wrong assessment of the situation in early day compounded by his lapdog Fox News repeating his talking points caused behavior by his base which resulted in a faster spread of the disease and thus more lives to be lost.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.
    Again, true. But not the point.
    They don't have time to wait for scientific evidence, which will take months. They're doing the best they can, given the restraints they're under.
    And the existing evidence, non-scientific, is apparently enough for some doctors to be hopeful. They're hopeful, so I'm hopeful.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I am sorry that you cannot understand the point and I am not smart enough to make it clear to you. Perhaps someone else with more patience and skill can help you understand the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    You are missing the point entirely.
    No, I am afraid I understand the point that is trying to be made. That is that people voted for death. And that all the deaths are a direct result of the political parties in power... because people voted for that political party.

I think the real point that needs to be understood is that... COVID 19 is not political... bot Republicans and Democrats can catch it...we only have the information we have and we do not know how many deaths would have been prevented or how many more deaths there would have been if there was a different party in power.

So to blame the deaths on the people that voted and saying 'they reap what they sow' is more about politics than it is about COVID 19.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Jedi

We'll have to agree to disagree. "Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, in Small Study"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/h...s-malaria.html

I think doctors are prescribing it because there is some evidence that it helps, albeit anecdotal. And the risks of trying it are relatively low. And there aren't any better alternatives to try.
    There are some significant risks if they aren't mitigated properly or dosage controlled appropriately --

"patients with existing heart problems or taking certain drugs, such as anti-depressants that affect heart rhythm, can die of heart attacks or lethal drug interactions."

Anecdotal Evidence (meaning) - evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. The term is sometimes used in a legal context to describe certain kinds of testimony which are uncorroborated by objective, independent evidence such as notarized documentation, photographs, audio-visual recordings, etc.

Like I said in my initial response - which it seems you read, but didn't respond to -
    This drug is a single bullet within a larger ammo belt the medical community is drastically trying to fill.

Holding one's breath this is a game changing treatment will result in one dying of asphyxiation.