Page 18 of 132 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: The Coronavirus Debacle

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Jesus. Pretty much everything stays open. What a farce.
    Great word for it. It's really frustrating because the majority of people I talk to are already staying home and most are wanting and pleading for more guidance and restrictions. But they're just not coming.

Dobber Sports Titan

I mean at least his list doesn't include salons. I agree with Doulos that it seems like a lot, but most of it makes sense when you look into it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

The announcement pretty much shutdown my neighbours kids Lemonade stand. So there's that.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The announcement pretty much shutdown my neighbours kids Lemonade stand. So there's that.
    Doesn't that qualify as drive-thru essential service? People need to stay hydrated!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

That list is even broader than what I originally thought was allowed to be open BEFORE the lockdown! Defeats the whole purpose..

I guess their strategy was more about messaging to the public than the actual practical implementation. It probably also grants legal enforcement powers if the situation deteriorates further.

Let's hope the feds chop that list down about 80%?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Shopping for groceries the other day really displayed for me how these kinds of crazy events really bring out everyone’s true colours. I saw a couple of really ugly displays of humanity, and some beautiful examples of helping.

In this one grocery visit, I saw an elderly woman reaching a high shelf to get the last box of canned tomato soup. She couldn’t reach it, and some young taller woman came by and said “here, let me get that”. The older women smiled and stepped aside for the younger woman to reach up and take the Soup, and of course she kept it for herself. Several people called this woman a bitch while she smugly smiled and started to walk away. She needed to walk past me, and when she did, I grabbed the soup out of her cart which she was sort of protecting with her hand as I was not the only one who was considering this. She was significantly smaller than I am, and she actually slapped me in the face more than once. I finally said to her “listen, I pretty firmly believe that I shouldn’t hit women, but I assure you, if you hit me one more time, I will make an exception. F**king walk away...” She did. I handed the soup to the older woman while a couple of people thanked me, and the older woman, who introduced herself to me as Louise, thanked me sincerely. I ran into her outside of the supermarket an hour later, and she told me that after this all happened, she ran into that woman again and she grabbed the soup out of her cart and ended with it...

At the cash register where we all had been waiting in line about 45 minutes, the woman a couple of places ahead of me went to pay for her items which came to $110, however she only had cash. Well because of Corvid-19, the store has adopted a no-cash policy. This woman was dejected and looked to leave without her groceries, when the man behind her said he would put her groceries on his visa if she gave him the cash. She said she only had 20s and he said he didn’t have change, but if she gave him $100, that would be fine. She ended up thanking him so much and handed him some cash. After she had left and he was paying for his groceries, he had a closer look at the money she had given him, laughs and says to me “wouldn’t you know it, she gave me $120”

This shit brings out the best and worst in people. Be the best...

Rylant
    Good for you. I would have done the same (minus the threat to punch her out haha).

Some people are really rotten to the core and deserve what's coming.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    It's tough because many of those seem reasonable when you drill down into it. Like, having a Staples or something open might seem silly until you realize how many other essential businesses might need access to the supplies contained within them. It's the downside to having such an interconnected economy I suppose.
    It's very frustrating. I haven't walked in to Staples other than to pick up documents in two years. I order everything for my office online. So, like keep that part open but close down the walk-in stores.

I work for a landscape supply company. I won't name the company but it's an American company (I live and work in Canada). The list of essential services has four or five points that our legal team has decided applies to us, but it's complete BS. We don't need to be open and we shouldn't be open. Green grass is not essential. We've modified our services and I'm working from home so that if my staff goes down me and a couple sales guys can go in but it seems very unnecessary and frankly, greedy.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    It's very frustrating. I haven't walked in to Staples other than to pick up documents in two years. I order everything for my office online. So, like keep that part open but close down the walk-in stores.

I work for a landscape supply company. I won't name the company but it's an American company (I live and work in Canada). The list of essential services has four or five points that our legal team has decided applies to us, but it's complete BS. We don't need to be open and we shouldn't be open. Green grass is not essential. We've modified our services and I'm working from home so that if my staff goes down me and a couple sales guys can go in but it seems very unnecessary and frankly, greedy.
    Just because you don't use that service doesn't mean it doesn't get used by lots of other services that are really important.

The problem is that our whole society is so interconnected now. So many places rely on other places and when you start removing some of those you cause issues all the way up the line.

None of this is to suggest that I have any idea on what is best here, but just that it's never quite as simple as we might think.

Dobber Sports Sage

I found this article encouraging. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ted&yptr=yahoo
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post

Sounds like your company is only in it for the green They'll soon find out that the grass isn't always greener on the...........I'll stop now.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Sounds like your company is only in it for the green They'll soon find out that the grass isn't always greener on the...........I'll stop now.
    Your jokes are way more on target than shots from storm troopers...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

My company supplies The Big 3 and other Auto-plants. They are shutdown, we are open. We can't ship anything to customers because there is no one to unload the material. We have to find warehouse space, but no one is willing to take on customers, so we have to rent flatbed transport trailers to store out material on.

If our customers are shutting down, I think we should at least be looking at it and have the head guys discuss it with the employees. We have our suppliers shutting down because their customer base is only at like 15%. So ya, the list of "essentials" is so broad any company that wants to stay open will.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

I have finally just accepted that there are large numbers of people in the United States who are completely fine with a million lives lost as long as it means a better economy and letting Trump/Republicans be "right". Listening to the tone of conversation turn the last few days has been truly horrifying. I feel sick to my stomach.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I have finally just accepted that there are large numbers of people in the United States who are completely fine with a million lives lost as long as it means a better economy and letting Trump/Republicans be "right". Listening to the tone of conversation turn the last few days has been truly horrifying. I feel sick to my stomach.
    I am not so sure about that. You have your cult of Trumpers but there are enough logical Republicans that value human life over the economy. Gonna be fascinating/horrifying to watch.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov