Page 17 of 132 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: The Trump Presidency is Over/The Coronavirus Debacle

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Trudeau has definitely handled this better than Trump, but he too was too slow in emphasizing the severity of the situation and getting ahead of preventative measures. Trump on the other hand was not only way too slow, but was also sending the WRONG message altogether. It's not just about closing borders. It's about the messaging to the public so that they take it seriously. Things like social distancing and getting ahead of preparing stimulus and aid packages.

The US is ****ed because their leader, up until 1.5 weeks ago, despite all the clear warnings happening globally, was sending the message that Covid was not a serious threat. Then last week he does a complete 180 once he realizes how ****ed they are - and rather than take immediate responsibility, completely shifts the blame to the Chinese.

The majority of Americans are not very bright (these are the same folks who voted in him after all), so now they're in the situation they're in and hopefully they don't turn into the next Italy or we're all ****ed.
    There is much truth to this. I fault Trump for cutting funding for the CDC, dissolving the NSC directorate in 2018 whose main job was to prepare for future pandemics, and his downplaying the seriousness of the virus and even calling it a overhyped hoax. His ignorant Tweets and sound bites which were then repeated by the Fox News sycophants caused large segments of the population to disregard safety precautions and social distancing measures. We’ll never know how much damage and how many lives will be unnecessarily lost because of Trump’s incompetence and mishandling of this pandemic.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Interesting story I saw yesterday on Facebook shows discussions about the virus and a need for a vaccine on the front page of USA Today on the same day as Kobe Bryant dying.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...s-cure-bryant/
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    It's doing the same in Canada, but definitely growing at a lesser rate. Still going up every day. That's what the virus does until it eventually reaches a peak. All we can do is hope the measures being taken in every location are enough to slow it down. The sooner it peaks, the sooner hockey comes back (among other things).

I'm not playing favorites here. My eye is on the other side of the virus. I hope we all get there soon.
    This chart shows it quite well. It's going up everywhere... but if you look (and it's now a couple days out of date) The US's bar around day 12 shoots up more vertically where other high rate countries - Italy/China - continue on a their existing trajectory.

Most countries 10-14 days in stuck close to or just below a 33% increase in cases each day during the time period. The US jumped closer to a 40% increase. I'd like to find an updated chart to know whether this trend has continued.

With this chart... there's not enough data (days) to properly chart Canada's trajectory. An updated one would shed more light.

Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

I've been getting charts/info here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I am aware of the concerning escalation of numbers in the US. My mindset is what's done is done, unfortunately. All we can do is hope the protective measures taken more recently will start bearing fruit soon. That's all we have. If we focus too much on the negatives we get sad and depressed. That's not me.

I'm very encouraged with the numbers in my area (Sudbury). We had our first case around 10 days ago and our university immediately shut down. We're up to three cases, but at least it's not shooting up exponentially. We don't have a problem of one person infecting a dozen. Our location helps a lot. There's the main Sudbury area, a few suburbs and then millions of trees with no humans. Nearest outside town is about an hour away.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    This chart shows it quite well. It's going up everywhere... but if you look (and it's now a couple days out of date) The US's bar around day 12 shoots up more vertically where other high rate countries - Italy/China - continue on a their existing trajectory.

Most countries 10-14 days in stuck close to or just below a 33% increase in cases each day during the time period. The US jumped closer to a 40% increase. I'd like to find an updated chart to know whether this trend has continued.

With this chart... there's not enough data (days) to properly chart Canada's trajectory. An updated one would shed more light.

It's pretty much due to a huge increase in testing isn't it? The US had done nearly no testing for a very long time and now they are ramping it up to a huge degree, so they are going to have a big jump.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    It's pretty much due to a huge increase in testing isn't it? The US had done nearly no testing for a very long time and now they are ramping it up to a huge degree, so they are going to have a big jump.
    I'm not sure we'll ever have a clear idea of the actual number of cases in the US. As per Anthony Fauci and healthcare workers on the ground there is a severe shortage of PPE in the US, which is required for testing. What we do know is the situation is very bad there. Like trajectory to be among the worst hit in the world.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    I'm not sure we'll ever have a clear idea of the actual number of cases in the US. As per Anthony Fauci and healthcare workers on the ground there is a severe shortage of PPE in the US, which is required for testing. What we do know is the situation is very bad there. Like trajectory to be among the worst hit in the world.
    Yeah not good at all.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Can someone change the title of this thread to "The Coronavirus Debacle"? Seems like the trolls have left, and the adults are having a reasonable discussion. Getting weary of seeing "Trump" in my news feeds. Especially my fantasy hockey news feeds
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Ninja

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

This is the best global tracker online - John Hopkins. Updates every hour.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Can someone change the title of this thread to "The Coronavirus Debacle"? Seems like the trolls have left, and the adults are having a reasonable discussion. Getting weary of seeing "Trump" in my news feeds. Especially my fantasy hockey news feeds
    Excellent idea. Sadly this is a world debacle.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: The Coronavirus Debacle

Shopping for groceries the other day really displayed for me how these kinds of crazy events really bring out everyone’s true colours. I saw a couple of really ugly displays of humanity, and some beautiful examples of helping.

In this one grocery visit, I saw an elderly woman reaching a high shelf to get the last box of canned tomato soup. She couldn’t reach it, and some young taller woman came by and said “here, let me get that”. The older women smiled and stepped aside for the younger woman to reach up and take the Soup, and of course she kept it for herself. Several people called this woman a bitch while she smugly smiled and started to walk away. She needed to walk past me, and when she did, I grabbed the soup out of her cart which she was sort of protecting with her hand as I was not the only one who was considering this. She was significantly smaller than I am, and she actually slapped me in the face more than once. I finally said to her “listen, I pretty firmly believe that I shouldn’t hit women, but I assure you, if you hit me one more time, I will make an exception. F**king walk away...” She did. I handed the soup to the older woman while a couple of people thanked me, and the older woman, who introduced herself to me as Louise, thanked me sincerely. I ran into her outside of the supermarket an hour later, and she told me that after this all happened, she ran into that woman again and she grabbed the soup out of her cart and ended with it...

At the cash register where we all had been waiting in line about 45 minutes, the woman a couple of places ahead of me went to pay for her items which came to $110, however she only had cash. Well because of Corvid-19, the store has adopted a no-cash policy. This woman was dejected and looked to leave without her groceries, when the man behind her said he would put her groceries on his visa if she gave him the cash. She said she only had 20s and he said he didn’t have change, but if she gave him $100, that would be fine. She ended up thanking him so much and handed him some cash. After she had left and he was paying for his groceries, he had a closer look at the money she had given him, laughs and says to me “wouldn’t you know it, she gave me $120”

This shit brings out the best and worst in people. Be the best...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    This is kind of funny, considering the original title itself was obvious trolling. Pretty sure the original creator is still around.
    But whatever. Horse to water, as they say.

Dobber Sports Immortal

So by Ontario shutdown....he means basically nothing has changed and everything is open. So frustrating to see.

https://torontosun.com/news/provinci...ial-businesses

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    So by Ontario shutdown....he means basically nothing has changed and everything is open. So frustrating to see.

https://torontosun.com/news/provinci...ial-businesses
    Jesus. Pretty much everything stays open. What a farce.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's tough because many of those seem reasonable when you drill down into it. Like, having a Staples or something open might seem silly until you realize how many other essential businesses might need access to the supplies contained within them. It's the downside to having such an interconnected economy I suppose.