Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Investment Opportunities?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Investment Opportunities?

Looking to invest into a stock, somewhat high risk. ~$1000 CAD, any suggestions/ideas?

Dobber Sports Monster

How much % of your net worth do you guys put into the stock market? I got about 40% tied up.

40% Vangaurd Growth ETF
    30% Meta Platforms Inc.
    30% Docebo Inc.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Looking to invest into a stock, somewhat high risk. ~$1000 CAD, any suggestions/ideas?
    Not sure if "somewhat high risk" is an ideal requirement - probably better off to go for something stable but with high upside.

Think about industries that are booming and think about companies that are growing quickly in that area. For example - biopharmaceuticals is always a huge moneymaker with little risk. Abbvie is a good example of a pharma stock that a lot of investors/advisors are extremely high on. Definitely not high risk though. If you really want high risk just go with crpyto.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Not sure if "somewhat high risk" is an ideal requirement - probably better off to go for something stable but with high upside.

Think about industries that are booming and think about companies that are growing quickly in that area. For example - biopharmaceuticals is always a huge moneymaker with little risk. Abbvie is a good example of a pharma stock that a lot of investors/advisors are extremely high on. Definitely not high risk though. If you really want high risk just go with crpyto.
    I thought about going high risk but changed direction and go with a little more stable approach if that's a better term for it. Bought into a growth etf 40%, 30% docebo, 30% meta platform ord. I will see how it goes. Been over a year since trying out the stock market. Thought about doing Air Canada but really unsure how it will play out with the uncertainty re: covid and how it relates to travel. I got 65 shares of OCGN which is a pharmaceutical.

Dobber Sports Veteran

How much % of your net worth do you guys put into the stock market? I got about 40% tied up.

40% Vangaurd Growth ETF
    30% Meta Platforms Inc.
    30% Docebo Inc.
    I put in what i can and have no expectations of keeping any of it. (i have half cash and half stocks - my house is by far most of my net worth). Still considering buying some bitcoin or ETH, i have XRP as a lesson learned.

I suggest you invest in things that interest you and you are familiar with. Risk can be found everywhere. It is important to learn about the company you are investing in, and the sector its in, so it helps to have a personal interest in it because you will be reading and trying to understand the lingo they use (this is why i dont invest in pharma - too boring and drawn out with trial after trial). Although I have some $IZO shares.

I love weed so I spent much of my time in that sector, but found that so far it doesn't matter how good a company is internally, its about the hype around them which is unfortunate.
    I like $VFF, they are starting to separate themselves from the blob of overpriced failures who live off their great marketing. VFF just removed themselves from the TSX and you have to buy them on NASDAQ, they are my risky pick (well one of many but the one I actually can say I believe in as I have researched them heavily), and i dont expect the share price to go down much more than a 85c from todays close of 6.03 USD. upside is 10-30$.

If i had to do it all again, I would just buy BIP.UN, VGRO and EIT.UN and not have to think about it. Or QQQ.

GL Stuntman, the market is a big scam!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I put in what i can and have no expectations of keeping any of it. (i have half cash and half stocks - my house is by far most of my net worth). Still considering buying some bitcoin or ETH, i have XRP as a lesson learned.

I suggest you invest in things that interest you and you are familiar with. Risk can be found everywhere. It is important to learn about the company you are investing in, and the sector its in, so it helps to have a personal interest in it because you will be reading and trying to understand the lingo they use (this is why i dont invest in pharma - too boring and drawn out with trial after trial). Although I have some $IZO shares.

I love weed so I spent much of my time in that sector, but found that so far it doesn't matter how good a company is internally, its about the hype around them which is unfortunate.
    I like $VFF, they are starting to separate themselves from the blob of overpriced failures who live off their great marketing. VFF just removed themselves from the TSX and you have to buy them on NASDAQ, they are my risky pick (well one of many but the one I actually can say I believe in as I have researched them heavily), and i dont expect the share price to go down much more than a 85c from todays close of 6.03 USD. upside is 10-30$.

If i had to do it all again, I would just buy BIP.UN, VGRO and EIT.UN and not have to think about it. Or QQQ.

GL Stuntman, the market is a big scam!
    Good luck to you as well my friend. You are 100% on what you are familiar with. Things that interest you. Those are what will make you more passionate!

Dobber Sports Monster

Going to be buying shares into OTLY, HNST, TTFC. Does BreadManPanarin post on here anymore? I see he posts on HF all the time. He seems very high on Crypto.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I bought $50k of BIP.UN during the first pandemic dip and got cold feet so I quickly sold for a small profit. One of my biggest regrets... been waiting ever since for an opportunity to get back in.

That fund is as worry free an investment as there is with a nice juicy divvy.

Dobber Sports Monster

Do any of you guys invest in US stocks? I noticed if I transfer 5000 CAD into my USD trader account, I'm basically losing out on $80 CAD just for them to do the transfer.

For example:

(Hypothetically speaking), if I transfer 5000.00 CAD to my USD trading account, that is 3920.03 USD. I just checked the current conversion rate online and the real CAD to USD amount is 3985.05.

Let's say I want to buy Tattoed Chef Inc for 13.89 USD

That would get you 282.21 worth of shares. And because you need to pay a commission fee to the bank which is usually 10 usd.

281 shares at 13.89 + 10.00 fee = 3913.09 USD invested

So right off the bat you have to make up 65.02 USD = 0.23 per share. I am unsure if you have to pay that conversion fee again once you transfer it back to your Chequings account. PLUS applicable taxes that will be applied to your capital gain ect. I suppose not too big of a price to pay if you think SAID stock will 5-10x long term. But just something to keep in mind when investing. Also, the USD - CAD is always fluctuating. I believe other platforms let you transfer funds for free and the commission fees are 0 from my understanding (I could be wrong). But for me I would rather just have to right connected to my bank account for security reasons.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Do any of you guys invest in US stocks? I noticed if I transfer 5000 CAD into my USD trader account, I'm basically losing out on $80 CAD just for them to do the transfer.

For example:

(Hypothetically speaking), if I transfer 5000.00 CAD to my USD trading account, that is 3920.03 USD. I just checked the current conversion rate online and the real CAD to USD amount is 3985.05.

Let's say I want to buy Tattoed Chef Inc for 13.89 USD

That would get you 282.21 worth of shares. And because you need to pay a commission fee to the bank which is usually 10 usd.

281 shares at 13.89 + 10.00 fee = 3913.09 USD invested

So right off the bat you have to make up 65.02 USD = 0.23 per share. I am unsure if you have to pay that conversion fee again once you transfer it back to your Chequings account. PLUS applicable taxes that will be applied to your capital gain ect. I suppose not too big of a price to pay if you think SAID stock will 5-10x long term. But just something to keep in mind when investing. Also, the USD - CAD is always fluctuating. I believe other platforms let you transfer funds for free and the commission fees are 0 from my understanding (I could be wrong). But for me I would rather just have to right connected to my bank account for security reasons.
    That's normal. You'll always pay the spread (both ways). If you want to invest in USD it's best to stockpile USD when the FX is favourable.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    That's normal. You'll always pay the spread (both ways). If you want to invest in USD it's best to stockpile USD when the FX is favourable.
    Lets say I invest 10k, bring it up to 30k, want to put the USD back in my chequings account, I wonder if i would have to pay that same spread again that seems expensive lol.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Lets say I invest 10k, bring it up to 30k, want to put the USD back in my chequings account, I wonder if i would have to pay that same spread again that seems expensive lol.
    You're paying the spread everytime you exchange currency.

The smart thing to do would be to keep the 30k in USD and reinvest it. That way you'll always have USD to play with.

Convert as few times as possible.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    You're paying the spread everytime you exchange currency.

The smart thing to do would be to keep the 30k in USD and reinvest it. That way you'll always have USD to play with.

Convert as few times as possible.
    Holy moly so if u cash out 30k you basically pay roughly $400 premium. Taxes on top of that. There are some Canadian stocks I am eyeing up but interested in putting a chunk into The Tattoed Chef company.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Holy moly so if u cash out 30k you basically pay roughly $400 premium. Taxes on top of that. There are some Canadian stocks I am eyeing up but interested in putting a chunk into The Tattoed Chef company.
    Use your TFSA first so you dont pay tax. You can do some trading, but not frequently like multiple trades per day on the same stock. You can have US dollar investments in your TFSA. You can also have RRSP stocks and will also not pay tax on those investments until you withdraw.

Dobber Sports Monster

Use your TFSA first so you dont pay tax. You can do some trading, but not frequently like multiple trades per day on the same stock. You can have US dollar investments in your TFSA. You can also have RRSP stocks and will also not pay tax on those investments until you withdraw.
    I have roughly 10k invested so far and I just used a scotia momentum savings account. I don't have a TFSA. I wanted to invest some more, so wonder if I should wait until I open a TSFA? Or am I already screwed.