Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL pauses regular season because of coronavirus

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: NHL pauses regular season because of coronavirus

It's comical how some of these league reps are posturing as if they expect games to resume shortly after this temporary "pause". I really wonder what planet they're living on...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Well I was being a bit hyperbolic about financial compensation from China, which you would never realistically expect on a global scale (maybe I should have made that clearer - I'm a bit upset about potentially losing my job).

How about this angle:

Say your neighbour's septic tank were to spring a leak due to the owner's negligence and lack of care, and the neighbour failed to inform you (say you were at work) while it got worse and started leaking into your yard. If it caused an illness to run through your household and grandma actually died, you would be suing that neighbour for a hell of a lot more than lost wages.

What I was trying to say is that they were negligent, it caused a biological disaster. They lied and tried to cover it up while precious time was lost. I don't have to tell you what that has led to, and god knows where it will go (a week ago could you have seen us here? What will we be talking about next Friday?).

Also, we are clearly talking about the Chinese government here, not the people of China or ethnically Chinese people. They have been the biggest victims of this so far, does that not register with anyone? It's not racist or xenophobic any more than blaming an oil company for a tanker spill.
    This exactly. The government needs to better control the quality of food safety. The State Food and Drug Administration of China needs to be more diligent when viruses are discovered and not try to cover it up as they did in this case. It can happen anywhere. When Mad Cow Disease was discovered here in Canada, there was immediate action and no cover up. Time is of the essence. In China, it didn't seem to be. The whistleblower was quickly silenced, eventually contracted the virus and died.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Jesus Christ all people can do is blame Trump for everything. How about the Chinese response? How many doctors has Trump imprisoned? If the US can beat this and maintain it's strong footing they can help out their allies - so I'm hoping they do.

Put aside the partisanship, there's a chance the US election could even be delayed. We can all go back to the tribal warfare garbage afterwards, but right now everyone's house is on fire so shouldn't we be dealing with that? My god I wish Canada had a leader with even 10% of the balls that Trump has.

Our own government really needs to step it up. When Trudeau's wife got it, he actually finally did something but it's so half-hearted and weak. Our nation has been left exposed for fear of looking xenophobic and maintaining the insane, suicidal open-borders policy. Now countries around the world are slamming their borders shut and Trudeau is still more concerned with political correctness and not upsetting China by doing very much to protect us (that would be admitting that a virus originating in China exists and might be a problem).
    This is the biggest problem with Trump. All balls and greed and zero brains. Yet he thinks he's smarter than anyone. As President, he was looking for a way to profit from this crisis and it backfired, as pretty much everything else he does. He desperately tried to buy the rights to a possible Coronavirus vaccine from a German Pharmacutical company after refusing test kits developed there. He has also tried to steal away scientists from them. This is where the balls to dissmantle the countries Centre for Disease Control gets you.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    This is the biggest problem with Trump. All balls and greed and zero brains. Yet he thinks he's smarter than anyone. As President, he was looking for a way to profit from this crisis and it backfired, as pretty much everything else he does. He desperately tried to buy the rights to a possible Coronavirus vaccine from a German Pharmacutical company after refusing test kits developed there. He has also tried to steal away scientists from them. This is where the balls to dissmantle the countries Centre for Disease Control gets you.
    OK, and what has Blackface done?

Seems like the only answer to that question is "Trump is bad".

Dobber Sports Ninja

OK, and what has Blackface done?

Seems like the only answer to that question is "Trump is bad".
    He stepped out of the way and let the experts make the decisions. Exactly what he should have done.

The truth is there was nothing he could have done to please people like you who call him Blackface. He could have literally found the cure to the disease and you would have complained that he gave it away for free instead of charging money for it and fixing Canada's national deficit.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It's comical how some of these league reps are posturing as if they expect games to resume shortly after this temporary "pause". I really wonder what planet they're living on...
    yeah it went from possibly opening up workouts at league facility within 10-14 days and requiring players to stay in their nhl team city to seeya in may

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    He stepped out of the way and let the experts make the decisions. Exactly what he should have done.

The truth is there was nothing he could have done to please people like you who call him Blackface. He could have literally found the cure to the disease and you would have complained that he gave it away for free instead of charging money for it and fixing Canada's national deficit.
    Pot calling the kettle black? It’s okay to talk like that about Trump. But not Trudeau. All politics are a cult and it’s a joke.

Trudeau should leave all his decisions to the experts, the real experts. Than our country wouldn’t be as bad. But the only experts he listens to are the ones that are telling him how he can win the next election rather than serve Canadians during his current term. And just to clarify. I realize this is what all politicians do and it makes governments a joke.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Pot calling the kettle black? It’s okay to talk like that about Trump. But not Trudeau. All politics are a cult and it’s a joke.

Trudeau should leave all his decisions to the experts, the real experts. Than our country wouldn’t be as bad. But the only experts he listens to are the ones that are telling him how he can win the next election rather than serve Canadians during his current term.
    What are you even talking about lol?

Politicians are more concerned about the next election that they fail miserably to serve the current term.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

My apologies, I forgot we aren't supposed to be criticising world leaders or calling them names on this forum. That would be bad form and just small and petty.

Actually it would have pleased me if he had taken action in early February when it was clear to some guy like me that he should. And gee, why would I call him Blackface, his racism is progressive, right? Progressive racism is fine and saying anything about it just hurts peoples' feelings, I forgot that as well (btw, you are talking to a "coloured person" and telling him he is not allowed to be offended by the leader of his country who mocks him for the colour of his skin, do you see that? But Trump is the racist and so am I if I am not in line with your opinion of what constitutes racism and how I should feel about it.)

There are a lot of things he could have done that would have pleased me a great deal. He didn't do any of them.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Politicians are more concerned about the next election that they fail miserably to serve the current term.
    Look, you guys hate Trudeau and you're foaming at the mouth at his every action. It's the same thing with many of us and the way we view Donald Trump.

But here is the difference.

I cannot stand Jason Kenney. At all. I think the politics of the UCP are based on completely failed logic and they hurt people in very real and tangible ways. I am opposed to most of what they stand for. I also find some of the things that he has done in his life (such as his treatment of the gay community in 2000) to be really at odds with my own beliefs.

That being said, he has managed to stand back and let the experts take the lead in Alberta and I commend him for that. I can see through my disgust for his politics and acknowledge that this is an incredibly trying time for all politicians, that responses will never be perfect, but that he has largely done what is best for the province not by trying to impose his own screwed up politics on this situation but has let the experts do what the do best.

In the same way, while I do not care for Justin Trudeau and the Liberal party (I absolutely did not vote for them last election), I can see that he has largely done the same thing. Stepped out of the way and allowed the experts to make the decisions. I don't always agree with the decisions, or even understand them, but I'm not a health expert and if I was in charge we'd be totally screwed. That's why we let the people who know better take charge. And that's precisely what Trudeau has done as well. All of us in this thread have o clue what we are talking about when it comes to this situation. Neither does Justin Trudeau. That's why the Health experts have been given the power.

Then we take a look at Trump. This is a guy who has inundated every decision with his own selfishness and arrogance. While I thoroughly disagree with the politics and corruption of the Republican party in the USA, I also think that Donald Trump is completely devoid of any sense of humanity, morality, and respectability. He is incapable of telling the truth, he is a pure narcicist, he is totally anti-science, and he has shown that he is only interested in whatever benefits himself, everyone else on the planet be damned. If you were to take the most reprehensible and ANTI-logical (probably not a real word) bits of pieces of all of the people I dislike in the world, and combine them into one sludge of a person, you would get Donald Trump. He is a symbol of the utter rot in the USA and I am convinced, that while there are many good people down in that country who are still trying to salvage that country, it has become clear that the USA ARE the bad guys. They are no better than China in my mind, but simply evil of a different nature. They worship the market while pissing on the poor, they lift up profit while bankrupting the sick with private health care, and they have made Capitalism a god that cannot be questioned. Even a guy like Joe Biden represents pretty much the same thing in the end. I am sad for those who are going to suffer and die in the USA in the next few months. Many good people who don't deserve it. But also many people who practically begged to be killed by a system that hates their guts and actively works against their own interests.

I don't know what the next world superpower is going to look like, or when it will come along. But the USA leadership has failed the world and it's time is coming to an end - though how many years that will take I don't know. I am sad. The potential for so much more from such wealth and such good people is still there, but those who can really make a difference appear to be too few in number in the USA now.

I don't believe that this will bring down Donald Trump, and even if it did, I don't believe Joe Biden represents enough of a chance to really matter. It's heartbreaking to see, and I can only hope that Canada is able to ride out the massive changes that are sure to happen as the USA power void slowly gets filled by someone else as the years go on.

Dobber Sports Ninja

My apologies, I forgot we aren't supposed to be criticising world leaders or calling them names on this forum. That would be bad form and just small and petty.

Actually it would have pleased me if he had taken action in early February when it was clear to some guy like me that he should. And gee, why would I call him Blackface, his racism is progressive, right? Progressive racism is fine and saying anything about it just hurts peoples' feelings, I forgot that as well (btw, you are talking to a "coloured person" and telling him he is not allowed to be offended by the leader of his country who mocks him for the colour of his skin, do you see that? But Trump is the racist and so am I if I am not in line with your opinion of what constitutes racism and how I should feel about it.)

There are a lot of things he could have done that would have pleased me a great deal. He didn't do any of them.
    I mean you're obviously a tremendous health expert who knew all along what needed to happen right?! Way smarter than those dummies Trudeau was getting advice from I am sure!

​​

Look, you guys hate Trudeau and you're foaming at the mouth at his every action. It's the same thing with many of us and the way we view Donald Trump.

But here is the difference.

I cannot stand Jason Kenney. At all. I think the politics of the UCP are based on completely failed logic and they hurt people in very real and tangible ways. I am opposed to most of what they stand for. I also find some of the things that he has done in his life (such as his treatment of the gay community in 2000) to be really at odds with my own beliefs.

That being said, he has managed to stand back and let the experts take the lead in Alberta and I commend him for that. I can see through my disgust for his politics and acknowledge that this is an incredibly trying time for all politicians, that responses will never be perfect, but that he has largely done what is best for the province not by trying to impose his own screwed up politics on this situation but has let the experts do what the do best.

In the same way, while I do not care for Justin Trudeau and the Liberal party (I absolutely did not vote for them last election), I can see that he has largely done the same thing. Stepped out of the way and allowed the experts to make the decisions. I don't always agree with the decisions, or even understand them, but I'm not a health expert and if I was in charge we'd be totally screwed. That's why we let the people who know better take charge. And that's precisely what Trudeau has done as well. All of us in this thread have o clue what we are talking about when it comes to this situation. Neither does Justin Trudeau. That's why the Health experts have been given the power.

Then we take a look at Trump. This is a guy who has inundated every decision with his own selfishness and arrogance. While I thoroughly disagree with the politics and corruption of the Republican party in the USA, I also think that Donald Trump is completely devoid of any sense of humanity, morality, and respectability. He is incapable of telling the truth, he is a pure narcicist, he is totally anti-science, and he has shown that he is only interested in whatever benefits himself, everyone else on the planet be damned. If you were to take the most reprehensible and ANTI-logical (probably not a real word) bits of pieces of all of the people I dislike in the world, and combine them into one sludge of a person, you would get Donald Trump. He is a symbol of the utter rot in the USA and I am convinced, that while there are many good people down in that country who are still trying to salvage that country, it has become clear that the USA ARE the bad guys. They are no better than China in my mind, but simply evil of a different nature. They worship the market while pissing on the poor, they lift up profit while bankrupting the sick with private health care, and they have made Capitalism a god that cannot be questioned. Even a guy like Joe Biden represents pretty much the same thing in the end. I am sad for those who are going to suffer and die in the USA in the next few months. Many good people who don't deserve it. But also many people who practically begged to be killed by a system that hates their guts and actively works against their own interests.

I don't know what the next world superpower is going to look like, or when it will come along. But the USA leadership has failed the world and it's time is coming to an end - though how many years that will take I don't know. I am sad. The potential for so much more from such wealth and such good people is still there, but those who can really make a difference appear to be too few in number in the USA now.

I don't believe that this will bring down Donald Trump, and even if it did, I don't believe Joe Biden represents enough of a chance to really matter. It's heartbreaking to see, and I can only hope that Canada is able to ride out the massive changes that are sure to happen as the USA power void slowly gets filled by someone else as the years go on.
    so you were privy to all the conversations that Trudeau had with all the health experts? How can you be so sure that he didn’t listen to them several times before actually listening to them? It seems likes you may be making assumptions about how he listened to the experts right from the start? Or is it just because he states that he listened to the expert?

Does the NHL and NBA have better experts that the government? How were they able to make the appropriate decisions in a more timely manner? They are businesses that stand to lose significantly. They had more at stake from shutting down, yet they still shut down things before the governments did.

I think it should have been the government taking action prior to all the sports leagues did.

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

I mean you're obviously a tremendous health expert who knew all along what needed to happen right?! Way smarter than those dummies Trudeau was getting advice from I am sure!
    Way to completely dodge everything I said. Just ad hominem and you win. Weak.

And clearly I did know more than him. He ignored the experts, that's the problem.