Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL pauses regular season because of coronavirus

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: NHL pauses regular season because of coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I work in a restaurant and my manager told me last night to get ready for no income as they expect us to have to close down soon (within the next week or two). I am 100% positive they will not compensate us for any lost time. I am looking for a second job today.

I think China should be compensating anyone who loses work. Obviously that would never happen, but it would be appropriate. But that would be taking responsibility for something. Not their style.
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck. In Canada rules have changed for Employment insurance. No waiting period. China did do a good job of buying the rest of the world time. We wasted it.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Superstar

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nba-...3BlxgnMy2nc2sA

A few positive stories of NHL and NBA teams and players who have committed to paying wages of those who work in the arenas.

Players include Zion, Giannis, Bobrovsky, Kevin Love.

NHL teams include: New Jersey Devils, Washington Capitals, Anaheim Ducks, and Nashville Predators
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by renello View Post
    China did do a good job of buying the rest of the world time. We wasted it.
    That's a joke, right?

Dobber Sports Immortal

The only positive of this thing so far has been that Tim and Sid played the entire 7th Inning from the Jays magical playoff game vs Texas. Aka the Bat Flip.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I think China should be compensating anyone who loses work. Obviously that would never happen, but it would be appropriate. But that would be taking responsibility for something. Not their style.
    What a deluded stance to take, thinking that China owes YOU financial compensation for a natural disaster that could have originated anywhere on the planet and very much was guaranteed to reach pandemic scale no matter what. Many will people suffer financially (and health wise) world wide until this resolves itself, so get over your sense of entitlement that someone or some country needs to compensate your potential financial losses.

The priority of maintaining the general public's health supersedes the need for someone to make a buck right now.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    What a deluded stance to take, thinking that China owes YOU financial compensation for a natural disaster that could have originated anywhere on the planet and very much was guaranteed to reach pandemic scale no matter what. Many will people suffer financially (and health wise) world wide until this resolves itself, so get over your sense of entitlement that someone or some country needs to compensate your potential financial losses.

The priority of maintaining the general public's health supersedes the need for someone to make a buck right now.
    This is not a natural disaster, and China was misleading and unaccountable and secretive about the entire situation for weeks. That's an undeniable fact.

I do agree it's ridiculous to say China owes individuals money. There are worse things happening than missed paychecks. But ultimately China handled this poorly and continues to do so.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Anyone see the news on the memo that the NHL supposedly released.

- players to self quarantine for 1 week
    - then training facilities could reopen for players.
    - then a one week mini camp before getting back to games.

It almost seems to optimistic! I would rather they not have released this memo cause I fear all it will do is get everyone’s hopes up!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

It almost seems to optimistic! I would rather they not have released this memo cause I fear all it will do is get everyone’s hopes up!
    But......but.....what about the 6000 rolls of toilet paper people bought!?!?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

Sounds to good to be true but you got me optimistic now damn you
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    This is not a natural disaster, and China was misleading and unaccountable and secretive about the entire situation for weeks. That's an undeniable fact.
    Coronovirus is a disease outbreak probably originating from animal to human contact that is now a highly contagious, fast moving, human disaster of natural origins. Blame China for the misinformation and cover-up all you want , but they didn't plan to maliciously unleash this problem on the rest of the world. I'm not going to buy into the blame game that people want to play right now.

Dobber Sports Ninja

China may or may not have handled it poorly from a transparency perspective. At this point it's hard to really know how forthcoming they've been. However they deserve credit for taking drastic measures to stop the outbreak from spreading further. Had the virus originated in the US or Canada, I can promise you we would have moved WAY slower as a result of all the human rights activists who'd be crying over a lock down (until they all end up dead from the virus). As someone pointed out above, even with the massive head start we had in North America, we are still in bad shape today.

In terms of who's to blame for this happening - I don't think you can blame anyone. Is it China's fault that they have a lot of bats who could have transmitted it to humans? Not really. Did they intentionally develop this virus in their labs to use maliciously one day? No. They owe us nothing. This is a freak of nature incident that happened to originate on their soil.

The Great One

It isn’t a “freak” incident. It’s because there’s so damn many people there and they eat and interact closely with so many more and different animals than in the west. High incidents of, from a western viewpoint, atypical contact with animal species is where he got SARS and now this crap. Yes it’s unlikely but the odds of this weird shit are higher when the chances for it are higher. We don’t eat bats or goose intestines. They do. And there are a lot more of them doing it. And on top of it they have an authoritarian government who is more worried about not being “that guy” again on a world stage than in admitting they have some screwed up shit going on. That’s why we are where we are.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

Well I was being a bit hyperbolic about financial compensation from China, which you would never realistically expect on a global scale (maybe I should have made that clearer - I'm a bit upset about potentially losing my job).

How about this angle:

Say your neighbour's septic tank were to spring a leak due to the owner's negligence and lack of care, and the neighbour failed to inform you (say you were at work) while it got worse and started leaking into your yard. If it caused an illness to run through your household and grandma actually died, you would be suing that neighbour for a hell of a lot more than lost wages.

What I was trying to say is that they were negligent, it caused a biological disaster. They lied and tried to cover it up while precious time was lost. I don't have to tell you what that has led to, and god knows where it will go (a week ago could you have seen us here? What will we be talking about next Friday?).

Also, we are clearly talking about the Chinese government here, not the people of China or ethnically Chinese people. They have been the biggest victims of this so far, does that not register with anyone? It's not racist or xenophobic any more than blaming an oil company for a tanker spill.

Dobber Sports Pro

Coronovirus is a disease outbreak probably originating from animal to human contact that is now a highly contagious, fast moving, human disaster of natural origins. Blame China for the misinformation and cover-up all you want , but they didn't plan to maliciously unleash this problem on the rest of the world. I'm not going to buy into the blame game that people want to play right now.
    All fair points and true- but not a natural disaster. Infectious diseases are not natural disasters, even if they start from animals. It's an important distinction to make, because municipal groups and public health agencies have specific protocols for "natural disasters" that change how they can respond and react.

I'm certainly not blaming China in an attempt to imply that this was some act of biological warfare. That's quite a leap you made there. I'm blaming the Chinese government for blatant lies that will cost human beings their lives.

China made significant errors early on, and now they continue to spread nonsensical, baseless propaganda to deflect any accountability. It's ridiculous and not what the world needs. It's not a blame game, it's an observation of our current state of affairs. China's actions impact everyone in the world and the international supply chain for countless commodities and critical medications.

Just pointing out some inconsistencies in your comment that are indisputable. Sorry if you don't see that.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Just pointing out some inconsistencies in your comment that are indisputable. Sorry if you don't see that.
    You know what? We can revisit that comment in a few weeks/months because when it comes to the high level political blame/posturing of many governments right now the Chinese government won't be the only ones looking like the villain. There is still a lot more to transpire before this crisis passes.