Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2020 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I like the idea as well.

I don't prefer it over the original playoff draft where if I pick the right combination of players from the right team then I can win. Stacking up on the Bruins last year helped me win... I like that concept better.

But I like this one per team idea as an additional draft done as well.
    Yeah, if there was going to be a second draft I would be fine with something like that, but not as the primary playoff draft.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Yeah, if there was going to be a second draft I would be fine with something like that, but not as the primary playoff draft.
    I love a playoff draft where I can go all in on a couple teams.

Often I am out of it after the second round... but I love the feeling when I pick the right players from the right teams!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

I love a playoff draft where I can go all in on a couple teams.

Often I am out of it after the second round... but I love the feeling when I pick the right players from the right teams!!
    I agree. I usually go that route when its for cash!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Alright... so it doesn't sound like anyone is opposed to the 5 Round Playoff Draft.

How soon do we need to start the draft? How deep can we go with rosters?

We have 17 that have expressed interest at one time or another.

17*12=204 players. There are 24 teams available. That works out to an average of 8.5 players per team NHL team.

There is also the option that people drop out or new people come interested.

So I think we should start from the bottom and work our way up.

How many players do we want to be available for the draft?

24 teams total - but 12 of those teams will play only 3-5 games.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

I think 204 would be about the highest number that we would want to go with. I'm okay with 17 contestants and 10 players per team if we feel that makes more sense. Somewhere in that range feels right though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

I think 204 would be about the highest number that we would want to go with. I'm okay with 17 contestants and 10 players per team if we feel that makes more sense. Somewhere in that range feels right though.
    And how many picks do you think we can get done in a day? Average of 10? So we need to give ourselves about 20 days to complete the draft? So from the timing we almost need to start the draft around the same time as training camps open?

Last year we took 11 days to get through 156 picks. And that was in April when its not as nice outside....

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

And how many picks do you think we can get done in a day? Average of 10? So we need to give ourselves about 20 days to complete the draft? So from the timing we almost need to start the draft around the same time as training camps open?

Last year we took 11 days to get through 156 picks. And that was in April when its not as nice outside....
    Yeah anywhere from 10-15 picks per day is reasonable. I'm fine with starting the same day training camps open. Gives us a firm date to work with.

Yeah anywhere from 10-15 picks per day is reasonable. I'm fine with starting the same day training camps open. Gives us a firm date to work with.
    Sounds good. We will start then.

On July 1 I will start getting confirmations from everyone.

And anyone new is still welcome to participate!

​​

Administrator

Alright... so it doesn't sound like anyone is opposed to the 5 Round Playoff Draft.

How soon do we need to start the draft? How deep can we go with rosters?

We have 17 that have expressed interest at one time or another.

17*12=204 players. There are 24 teams available. That works out to an average of 8.5 players per team NHL team.

There is also the option that people drop out or new people come interested.

So I think we should start from the bottom and work our way up.

How many players do we want to be available for the draft?

24 teams total - but 12 of those teams will play only 3-5 games.
    Need some time if we're doing the Evil Twin rule.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

I think I've mentioned this option before, but just in case I didn't:

Another option is to split the 17 people into two different groups for two different drafts (say, each team chooses 16 players each). Then, after the drafts, all the teams are put into one pool to crown the ultimate winner.

There would be two different threads, one for each draft.

So for example, in draft A, I can choose Connor McDavid. No one else in draft A can choose him, but he can still be chosen in draft B.

This way, you're not limiting someone late in a draft trying to decide between Ryan Reaves or Brendan Lemieux.

A buddy of mine did this years ago for an in-person draft. They had way too many people, and they needed a way so that the person choosing 17th wasn't at too much of a disadvantage and to make it easier for everyone if they wanted to load up on specific teams. So they split the room into two drafts going on concurrently. He said it worked really well, and they had a lot of fun afterwards in terms of keeping track of the standings. As we get to the finals, you might find yourself in the top three for points, but while you have Alex Ovechkin, so does one of the other two teams. And the other team also has Lars Eller, the same as you.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

Another option is to split the 17 people into two different groups for two different drafts (say, each team chooses 16 players each). Then, after the drafts, all the teams are put into one pool to crown the ultimate winner.

So for example, in draft A, I can choose Connor McDavid. No one else in draft A can choose him, but he can still be chosen in draft B.

This way, you're not limiting someone late in a draft trying to decide between Ryan Reaves or Brendan Lemieux.

A buddy of mine did this years ago for an in-person draft. They had way too many people, and they needed a way so that the person choosing 17th wasn't at too much of a disadvantage and to make it easier for everyone if they wanted to load up on specific teams. So they split the room into two drafts going on concurrently. He said it worked really well, and they had a lot of fun afterwards in terms of keeping track of the standings. As we get to the finals, you might find yourself in the top three for points, but while you have Alex Ovechkin, so does one of the other two teams. And the other team also has Lars Eller, the same as you.
    I am all in for splitting into two groups. This works best if we have an equal number on each group. And I would love if we could get two groups of 10.

right now we are at 18. So two groups of 9 works as well. But I think two groups of 10 would be ideal.

​​

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    I know I’m a new player here, but I wonder if it works to have two 8-people draft, and then score it as a single league?
    Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

Any one strongly opposed to splitting into two groups.

The most valid point that I see is being stuck with the 18th overall pick.

​​

Big Daddy

I’m fine with whatever is decided for this draft.

The Wolverine

Maybe worth contacting people to find out if still interested. Your decision could be made if you only have 10-12.

Administrator

There's a sweet spot for playoff drafts that determine the participation you want. Too few people and everyone just silos off and drafts from one or two teams and "owns" those teams. Too many and you wind up scraping the bottom of the barrel for NHL talent.

Basically, you need more participants than half the number of NHL teams playing. So for this year, we need at least 13 or else everyone will silo off. You can then determine the number of picks to make by how many relevant players off each squad, say an average of 2 defensemen and 6 forwards per team, so 8 per NHL club. 8 x 24 = 192, and then divide by the number of participants and that gives you the number of picks/rounds you could do.

With 13 participants, we could do 14-15 rounds and still have decent talent to chose from.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg