Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

Administrator

Default Re: 2020 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

If Flames and Leafs can both make Conference Finals I stand a good chance, but in the more likely scenario that neither of them makes it to the real round 2, I'll be sunk. Not much different from how last year's draft went when I went Lightning/Flames and was effectively out of it a week into the playoffs.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The results are all uploaded on onlinepools.com (see the website in the initial post in the discussion thread)

Results will be uploaded to fantrax as well.

Please check your teams and ensure I didn't give you Brady Tkachuk instead of Matthew.

Thanks,
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

My squad is correct, although I am not averse to adding Brady Tkachuk.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

With a middle pick, my strategy was real simple. First, take a round-robin team early that others might shy away from. I knew if selected Pittsburgh, probably another two or three Penguins would be selected before my next pick. So while everyone was focusing on Pittsburgh, Edmonton and Tampa, I went with Vegas (got their top three point-getters and their goalies). This was very fluid. If someone had taken Vegas before my pick, I probably would have started with Dallas or Washington (although Ovi was already taken).

Then, try to be the first to select from another team that no one had chosen from. I tried with Carolina, but didn't realize someone had drafted them yet. So I switched to the Rangers. My theory was once you take the top one or two players from a lesser team, other GMs might shy away, which is what happened.

That was the same strategy with Chicago. Instead of grabbing third or fourth liners from Vegas, I was better off taking upset picks and hoping for the best.

No one else took Chicago or Rangers, so if I can get an upset or two from those teams, I should be in really good shape. Especially since so many Oilers were taken, although mostly by DusterDave (who drafted eight Oilers).

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    With a middle pick, my strategy was real simple. First, take a round-robin team early that others might shy away from. I knew if selected Pittsburgh, probably another two or three Penguins would be selected before my next pick. So while everyone was focusing on Pittsburgh, Edmonton and Tampa, I went with Vegas (got their top three point-getters and their goalies). This was very fluid. If someone had taken Vegas before my pick, I probably would have started with Dallas or Washington (although Ovi was already taken).

Then, try to be the first to select from another team that no one had chosen from. I tried with Carolina, but didn't realize someone had drafted them yet. So I switched to the Rangers. My theory was once you take the top one or two players from a lesser team, other GMs might shy away, which is what happened.

That was the same strategy with Chicago. Instead of grabbing third or fourth liners from Vegas, I was better off taking upset picks and hoping for the best.

No one else took Chicago or Rangers, so if I can get an upset or two from those teams, I should be in really good shape. Especially since so many Oilers were taken, although mostly by DusterDave (who drafted eight Oilers).
    This was almost my exact strategy except I wanted three upset (play-in team) picks instead of two. I ended up with Philly as the last solid team of the eight bye teams that didn't have someone selected from them, and targeted some of the teams that I feel have depth, talent, and coaching to make a run (VAN, CLB, NSH).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Picking 2nd made it impossible to know if my RR team would be left alone. But that was also my strategy. Guaranteed RR games plus round 1. Washington ended up being my "Vegas"

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

My Strategy is this:

- I was keying in on players from one of the 5th place teams (Pittsburgh or Edmonton)
    - 5th place teams get to play the 12th place teams and I think both of them will handle those teams easily.
    - Then the 5th place team gets to play the 'worst' team from the round robin.
    - So ultimately they will be playing the team that has the least momentum out of the round robin teams
    - Playoffs is a lot about momentum, So i figured a healthy Pittsburgh was a good option when I had the option of Malkin or Draisaitl at pick #12.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

Really enjoyed seeing my army of goalies on Fantrax

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    - 5th place teams get to play the 12th place teams and I think both of them will handle those teams easily.
    I remember last year when Tampa easily handled the Blue Jackets in the first round.

Fun facts: Montreal had a 1-1-1 record against Pittsburgh this year, while Chicago was 2-1 against Edmonton. Just sayin'.

I was surprised that only one player from the Wild was taken. The next fewest was Montreal with 3.

The Great One

Go Habs Go!!!!
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

I already forget who I took, so hopefully whomever I picked has some success and I can laugh all the way to the bank!!
    Goodluck guys!!

Not joking, I forget who my first few picks were..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I already forget who I took, so hopefully whomever I picked has some success and I can laugh all the way to the bank!!
    Goodluck guys!!

Not joking, I forget who my first few picks were..
    Considering this is a free pool I think the bank will be laughing at you!

The Great One

Who had Kubalik?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Who had Kubalik?
    That would be me. I also have Kane, Toews, Keith and DeBrincat.