Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Outbreak

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Coronavirus Outbreak

This pandemic has, unfortunately, affirmed my cynicism.
    It's obvious the virus was spreading out of China as early as late January. Smart thing to do is not to travel for a few months. What do people do? Travel to infected countries and come back to bring the virus to the rest of us. The government says don't travel. Sunwing advertises dirt cheap vacations to cajole people into travelling. A bunch of people are still going on cruises.

People hoard food like WW3 is coming. I"ve never seen my local grocery store out of milk, meat and many other basic foods.
    Experts say distance yourself from others. People flock to Costco and are in a crowded environment for hours in order to stock up on toilet paper and food.
    Experts say you must self-isolate if you have travelled in the past 14 days. Well, that clearly isn't happening since we are seeing a huge spike in infections.

Yeah, people suck.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's hard, but try not to turn cynical. I think we will see the good of humanity rise to the occasion here... it's already happening

Administrator

I'll say this a lot: Focus on what you can control. Be good, be good to others. Be safe. Encourage others by setting the example. They may or may not do the right thing. That's out of your control. It'll happen regardless.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm no cynic without a good reason. Yes, there are many good and responsible people but there are enough how aren't to screw it up for everyone else.

Some noteworthy bits of news from around the world:

Greece is implementing a mandatory 14-day quarantine period for anyone entering the country. What is Canada doing? Just politely asking people to self-quarantine. Not gonna work.
    India is banning entry into the country for anyone coming from the high-danger places, including its own citizens. Harsh, I know. I think Greece's mandatory quarantine is better, although the strain on resources needed to see it obeyed must be enormous. What is Canada doing? Asking all Canadians from highly-infected regions to come home and ONLY asking them to self-quarantine. If anyone is coming into Canada now, a mandatory quarantine is the only measure that will work. Otherwise, social distancing will be for nothing, if new infections are allowed to enter the country.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I'm no cynic without a good reason. Yes, there are many good and responsible people but there are enough how aren't to screw it up for everyone else.

Some noteworthy bits of news from around the world:

Greece is implementing a mandatory 14-day quarantine period for anyone entering the country. What is Canada doing? Just politely asking people to self-quarantine. Not gonna work.
    India is banning entry into the country for anyone coming from the high-danger places, including its own citizens. Harsh, I know. I think Greece's mandatory quarantine is better, although the strain on resources needed to see it obeyed must be enormous. What is Canada doing? Asking all Canadians from highly-infected regions to come home and ONLY asking them to self-quarantine. If anyone is coming into Canada now, a mandatory quarantine is the only measure that will work. Otherwise, social distancing will be for nothing, if new infections are allowed to enter the country.
    Sad to say you are right, and so is Greece. Canadians coming back from X are being asked to self isolate, while tourists on the same flight/boat are not required to. Why we are getting tourists now is beyond me anyway, everything is closed or closing. Unfortunately all this does is undermine the request to Canadians, and further confirm my lack of confidence in humanity to be less selfish during times of crisis.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Enforcement of a mandatory quarantine is likely the issue. Just not possible unless you want to take measures that a democratic nation would consider unconscionable. Sure, China can do it, but they also seem to have no problem with Uyghur concentration camps and a nationwide social credit system. Take your pick I guess.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Enforcement of a mandatory quarantine is likely the issue. Just not possible unless you want to take measures that a democratic nation would consider unconscionable. Sure, China can do it, but they also seem to have no problem with Uyghur concentration camps and a nationwide social credit system. Take your pick I guess.
    Canada can do it under the Quarantine Act which was updated after the SARS outbreak and gives the federal government a bunch of tools to force people into quarantine. This author thinks it's unlikely it will be used https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/qua...irus-1.5499071

It is the only measure that will work as long as you keep allowing people to enter Canada from abroad.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Canada can do it under the Quarantine Act which was updated after the SARS outbreak and gives the federal government a bunch of tools to force people into quarantine. This author thinks it's unlikely it will be used https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/qua...irus-1.5499071

It is the only measure that will work as long as you keep allowing people to enter Canada from abroad.
    Yeah makes sense. Enforcement would be a real problem in that case. The article brings up good reasons why it wont happen.

Dobber Sports Veteran

They are considering using the Emergencies Act by the sounds of it.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...d-19-1.4857005

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    They are considering using the Emergencies Act by the sounds of it.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...d-19-1.4857005
    This bring some hope that the government is finally coming to their senses. They can't be blind to what is happening in Europe. It is coming to Canada if no extreme actions, including enforcement, take place, asap.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Enforcing that is going to be a shit show, particularly in rural areas.

Administrator

So would the personnel enforcing the rules be immune to the virus? Or could they possibly become part of spreading?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

For a bit of levity to break the mood:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1239998209755357185
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

USA/Canada border shut down for non-essential travel. Trade not effected.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    So would the personnel enforcing the rules be immune to the virus? Or could they possibly become part of spreading?
    One would think they'll wear PPE.(Personal Protection Equipment) like masks, gowns and gloves.