Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

  1. #31
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    MLB hides cheating until the media gets a hold of it. The amount of pitchers coming out saying their thoughts on this now, makes me think pitchers went to the league secretly and nothing was done.

    MLB has a history of hiding scandals until it's too late.

    Mendoza is an idiot on this.
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C),
    D: Carlson, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Makar, Barrie
    G: Andersen,Hellebuyck, Halak
    IR: Dubnyk

  2. #32
    LawMan's Avatar
    LawMan is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,045
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    My theory is the only reason MLB actually cares about sign stealing is that it will slow the game down. Baseball games have become too slow and MLB knows it, every rule implemented and considered has been about speeding up the game.

    If pitchers think their signs are being stolen they will start to use multiple sign sequences, even with no runners on (this takes longer obviously). This has started happening in few games I saw over the last several seasons and commentators are usually quite baffled by it. Further, pitchers and catchers have started making sign decoding charts, lamenting them and taking them out to the mound, catcher relays which sequence is in use, then flashes multiple signs. Again, slow, again bad.

    MLB wants to game to be faster which can only happen if pitchers are confident that their signs are not being stolen.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: L. Draisaitl (LW), S. Aho (LW), , J. Pageau, K. Fiala (RW, LW) , L. Eller
    LW: E. Kane, V. Arvidsson, I. Kovalchuk (RW), T. Konecky (RW)
    RW: B. Wheeler, T. Wilson, P. Buchnevich (LW)
    D: K. Letang, M. Giordano, D. Nurse, J. Petry
    G: J. Gibson, P. Mrazek, D. Kuemper, M. Smith

  3. #33
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    There's multiple instants where Gary Sanchez (NYY Catcher) in 2017 throws a sign, pitcher agrees, then Sanchez runs out to the mound to talk things over. Initially, I thought it was maybe a language barrier and to just make sure they were on the same page, but he might have known sign stealing was happening to an illegal point.

    Then in 2018 they implemented the "only 5 mound visits".

    Like LawMan said, the league instead of wondering why mound visits rose to such a ridiculously degree, they just went "ok you can't mound visit anymore". Or instead of stopping what caused the mound visits is probably the better way to say it. They would have known, they just didn't care as home runs create fans.
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C),
    D: Carlson, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Makar, Barrie
    G: Andersen,Hellebuyck, Halak
    IR: Dubnyk

  4. #34
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    There's now rumours that the Astro's pitchers were adding a foreign substance to the ball to increase spin rates and Altuve was apart of the cheating since 2014.

    If the Altuve/2014 rumour is true, Altuve is a total sham. Like his whole career is fake, he's a fraud. The short guy beating all odds to be an MLBer is ruined.

    I'm really curious how this team does in 2020.
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C),
    D: Carlson, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Makar, Barrie
    G: Andersen,Hellebuyck, Halak
    IR: Dubnyk

  5. #35
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Jedi

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    There's now rumours that the Astro's pitchers were adding a foreign substance to the ball to increase spin rates and Altuve was apart of the cheating since 2014.

    If the Altuve/2014 rumour is true, Altuve is a total sham. Like his whole career is fake, he's a fraud. The short guy beating all odds to be an MLBer is ruined.

    I'm really curious how this team does in 2020.
    Hmmmmm. Is this classic smack talking so that we all undervalue them in the Dobber League this year??? I'm on to you....

  6. #36
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Hmmmmm. Is this classic smack talking so that we all undervalue them in the Dobber League this year??? I'm on to you....
    It's a serious question really. How much has the sign stealing inflated Altuve to a top 5 2B in fantasy?
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C),
    D: Carlson, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Makar, Barrie
    G: Andersen,Hellebuyck, Halak
    IR: Dubnyk

  7. #37
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    The Astro's apologies are terrible:
    Jim Crane, "Our opinion is this didn't impact the game. We had a good team. We won the World Series"
    Jim Crane, "We're apologizing because we broke the rules" He won't concede breaking the rules gave the Astros and advantage.
    Jim Crane, "I don't feel it's necessary to reach out specifically to the Dodgers"

    Bregman and Altuve's apologies were under a minute each.

    Bregman, "I am really sorry about the choices that were made by the team, by the organization and by me. I've learned from this and I hope to regain the trust of baseball fans"

    Altuve, "Whole Astros organization feels bad about what happened in 2017"

    This whole presser just shows how out-of-touch the owner is, and that the players are instructed not to mention how large of an impact this had on the game. Not one has mentioned how it could have ended careers, stole moments from players memories (WS, ASG), took money out of players/teams pockets, and stuffed theirs (WS bonuses).

    Jim Crane sounds like a rich old man that's used to having people eat up what he says and agree with everything without raising any questions.


    Jim Crane was asked if the Astros cheated. He replied "We broke the rules and you can phrase that however your want"

    Jim Crane was asked if he knew. "MLB report cleary states that I didn't know anything about Astros sign stealing. No, I don't think I should be held accountable"
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C),
    D: Carlson, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Makar, Barrie
    G: Andersen,Hellebuyck, Halak
    IR: Dubnyk

  8. #38
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    A good rule of thumb is if you're reading your apology off a piece of paper (which pretty much everyone who apologized did), I don't think you're sorry, I don't think you wrote it, and I do think you're open to doing it again.
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C),
    D: Carlson, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Makar, Barrie
    G: Andersen,Hellebuyck, Halak
    IR: Dubnyk

  9. #39
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C),
    D: Carlson, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Makar, Barrie
    G: Andersen,Hellebuyck, Halak
    IR: Dubnyk

  10. #40
    LawMan's Avatar
    LawMan is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,045
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The Astro's apologies are terrible:
    Jim Crane, "Our opinion is this didn't impact the game. We had a good team. We won the World Series"
    Jim Crane, "We're apologizing because we broke the rules" He won't concede breaking the rules gave the Astros and advantage.
    Jim Crane, "I don't feel it's necessary to reach out specifically to the Dodgers"

    Bregman and Altuve's apologies were under a minute each.

    Bregman, "I am really sorry about the choices that were made by the team, by the organization and by me. I've learned from this and I hope to regain the trust of baseball fans"

    Altuve, "Whole Astros organization feels bad about what happened in 2017"

    This whole presser just shows how out-of-touch the owner is, and that the players are instructed not to mention how large of an impact this had on the game. Not one has mentioned how it could have ended careers, stole moments from players memories (WS, ASG), took money out of players/teams pockets, and stuffed theirs (WS bonuses).

    Jim Crane sounds like a rich old man that's used to having people eat up what he says and agree with everything without raising any questions.


    Jim Crane was asked if the Astros cheated. He replied "We broke the rules and you can phrase that however your want"

    Jim Crane was asked if he knew. "MLB report cleary states that I didn't know anything about Astros sign stealing. No, I don't think I should be held accountable"
    Totally agree. The crazy part is that Jim Crane actually had a chance to get out of this relatively unscathed, as the report said he personally knew nothing and he was able to fire the GM and Manager as scape goats. All he had to say was:

    "I would like to apologize to the fans of the Houston Astros, LA Dodgers and all of MLB for the actions of the Houston Astros.

    Although knew nothing about the sign stealing personally, as confirmed by the MLB report, that is no excuse. I am the proud owner of the Houston Astros Organization and the buck stops with me. Once I was made aware of the allegations the organization took immediate steps to address the issue. Both our GM and Manager have been terminated, further I have ordered a full investigation and review of our electronic media processes to ensure that nothing like this ever happens and to ensure that the Astros follow all rules enforced by MLB. The Astros organization is prepared to accept any punishment handed down by Major League Baseball.

    Once again I apologize to all fans who were hurt by the actions of the Astros, we can and will be better. Thank-you"
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: L. Draisaitl (LW), S. Aho (LW), , J. Pageau, K. Fiala (RW, LW) , L. Eller
    LW: E. Kane, V. Arvidsson, I. Kovalchuk (RW), T. Konecky (RW)
    RW: B. Wheeler, T. Wilson, P. Buchnevich (LW)
    D: K. Letang, M. Giordano, D. Nurse, J. Petry
    G: J. Gibson, P. Mrazek, D. Kuemper, M. Smith

  11. #41
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Houston Astros GM & manager suspended next season

    Now there's rumours that the Astros scouting system was messing with prospects spin-rates numbers to raise their trade value (their own prospects) and lower others trade values (prospects they want).

    That's ridiculous. Just more and more info coming out, and if this isn't just the MLB level of cheating it would be impossible to argue the owner didn't know.
    12 team, H2H, 6 keeper league (Keepers in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW
    W, GAA, S%, Saves
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G

    C: Eichel, Pettersson, Kopitar,
    LW: Marchand, Marchessault (C), Tatar (LW)
    RW: Marner, Wilson, Strome (C),
    D: Carlson, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Makar, Barrie
    G: Andersen,Hellebuyck, Halak
    IR: Dubnyk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •