Thread: Best N/A stashes for points-based one year league?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Best N/A stashes for points-based one year league?

I have an N/A spot I’m not making use of. Any suggestions on who to stash there?

Yahoo league, heavy on points with some points for plus/minus and PIMs. Goalies are only scored based on wins and shutouts.

I’m thinking Williams is the guy. Is there a goalie on the verge of jumping out of the AHL to be a #1?

The Great One

Default Re: Best N/A stashes for points-based one year league?

Without knowing the NA guys already rostered in your league, it's very hard to say. We'll probably just list guys that aren't available.

I think Williams is done. Even if he comes back, he'll likely be terrible given the layoff. (Look at Nylander last year...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The best stash is probably a young prospect that might get his NINE-game at end of season (often with an out-of-playoff team).
    9gp is max where a team can play a kid and not have it count towards a year of his ELC.
    This is somewhat common, but finding the right player can be tough.

Moritz Seider-D (DET) with Detroit's AHL could get a 9gp audition at end of year, if you need D scoring.
    Dylan Cozens-F (BUF), once his WHL season is done, could get 9gp with Buffalo. I could see them putting him on a top two line wing (even though he should be a center long-term).
    Bowen Byram-D (COL), ditto.

Bad NCAA hockey teams should be out of the picture by mid-March.
    The Michigan Wolverines are currently 5-9-2... not showing much chance to be a contender.
    They could be done their season by March 8th. (link here)
    A guy like Cam York (D-PHI) could get 9gp with PHI.
    Cole Caufield (MON-F) and Alex Turcotte (LA-F) could also get some time... as Wisconsin Badgers are only a .500 team in NCAA right now.
    (Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar both got games last year after their seasons ended with Michigan & UMass).

My stash would probably be Moritz Seider (D-DET).
    The AHL is great training grounds... Detroit is a lock to miss playoffs... the team will probably deal Mike Green to clear a spot... and the other vets have a lot of injuries.
    Plus - Yzerman will want to put his first, first-round choice on display for fans.

Detroit starts their final 9gp on March 16, vs.Florida. (then ARI, VGK, BOS, PHI, WAS, STL, TOR, TB... that's actually a pretty brutal schedule, now that I type it out... 7 of those 8 teams will make playoffs)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Without knowing the NA guys already rostered in your league, it's very hard to say. We'll probably just list guys that aren't available.

I think Williams is done. Even if he comes back, he'll likely be terrible given the layoff. (Look at Nylander last year...)
    Virtually nobody is using their N/A spot.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    The best stash is probably a young prospect that might get his NINE-game at end of season (often with an out-of-playoff team).
    9gp is max where a team can play a kid and not have it count towards a year of his ELC.
    This is somewhat common, but finding the right player can be tough.

Moritz Seider-D (DET) with Detroit's AHL could get a 9gp audition at end of year, if you need D scoring.
    Dylan Cozens-F (BUF), once his WHL season is done, could get 9gp with Buffalo. I could see them putting him on a top two line wing (even though he should be a center long-term).
    Bowen Byram-D (COL), ditto.

Bad NCAA hockey teams should be out of the picture by mid-March.
    The Michigan Wolverines are currently 5-9-2... not showing much chance to be a contender.
    They could be done their season by March 8th. (link here)
    A guy like Cam York (D-PHI) could get 9gp with PHI.
    Cole Caufield (MON-F) and Alex Turcotte (LA-F) could also get some time... as Wisconsin Badgers are only a .500 team in NCAA right now.
    (Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar both got games last year after their seasons ended with Michigan & UMass).

My stash would probably be Moritz Seider (D-DET).
    The AHL is great training grounds... Detroit is a lock to miss playoffs... the team will probably deal Mike Green to clear a spot... and the other vets have a lot of injuries.
    Plus - Yzerman will want to put his first, first-round choice on display for fans.

Detroit starts their final 9gp on March 16, vs.Florida. (then ARI, VGK, BOS, PHI, WAS, STL, TOR, TB... that's actually a pretty brutal schedule, now that I type it out... 7 of those 8 teams will make playoffs)
    Thanks for this! Exactly the kind of info I'm after. My ideal situation would be to have a goaltender in the spot, but this is great!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    My ideal situation would be to have a goaltender in the spot, but this is great!
    It is super rare for a team to call up a (inexperienced at NHL-level) goalie at end of year.
    There's not much that will do for confidence/long-term.

Players I like:
    Igor Shesterkin (NYR). He's currently one of the top goalies in AHL... but one of Georgiev or Lundqvist will have to go down... and even then, the other of those two will take most starts.
    Kaapo Kahkonen (MIN). You wouldn't be able to add Kaapo right now because he's up with the Wild. But once Dubnyk is back with MIN, Kaapo will be sent down. MIN might move Dubnyk... if they can find a taker... and that would free up starts for Kaapo.
    Alex Nedeljkovic (CAR). Keep an eye on this one. Carolina's Mrazek has been OK... Reimer OK... but Carolina is good enough to make a run. I personally think they'll trade for a veteran goalie, but they could also try Ned.

There's a ton of skaters you can switch to (as noted above), so I'd personally put Shesterkin there for now.
    If NYR is out of playoff hunt and one of Lund/George goes down, then Shesterkin will get 2-3 starts in April.