Poll: Offended Yes or No?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I do hope that you realize that just because you are generous and caring, it does not mean that itÂ’s not possible for you to be a racist as well.

Rylant
    I do hope you realize that is a quote from Mr. Orr. I didn't say it. So if you don't like his wording, take it up with him.
    However, I would humbly suggest that perhaps he meant them as completely independent sentences. Think of them as bullet points instead of one sentence after another.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Oh the irony.

This thread about censorship/cancel culture isn't to my liking. Shut it down.
    Yep a thread letting those wanting to defend racist/bigot tendencies needs to be out in its place. But keep digging yourself in deeper.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I do hope you realize that is a quote from Mr. Orr. I didn't say it. So if you don't like his wording, take it up with him.
    However, I would humbly suggest that perhaps he meant them as completely independent sentences. Think of them as bullet points instead of one sentence after another.
    Lol. Yes, I do realize that it was a quote from Bobby Orr. Sorry, you will have to excuse me. I never realized that you were going to post something on this forum opening it up for discussion, and then run and hide behind a “hey, it’s not my quote” excuse when somebody questions it; that is pretty silly.

My point is, whether or not Cherry is caring or generous is not relevant to the conversation. He wasn’t fired because he isn’t caring or generous. Whether or not you agree with it, there is ample evidence over the years to support the argument that Don Cherry might be racist. If you don’t agree with that, well that Is the argument. It is at the very least, debatable. I thought that was an important point to make, which is why I brought it up.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    If you read past the first sentence, you'll see I'm making a bigger point (that this issue falls within).
    I read it all. I completely disagree with nearly everything in it. Just pointing out that it starts out by completely missing the point. But that's a theme I guess.

Anyhow, neither side is going to convince the other here, so it is what it is.

Dobber Sports Star

My point is, whether or not Cherry is caring or generous is not relevant to the conversation. He wasn’t fired because he isn’t caring or generous. Whether or not you agree with it, there is ample evidence over the years to support the argument that Don Cherry might be racist. If you don’t agree with that, well that Is the argument. It is at the very least, debatable. I thought that was an important point to make, which is why I brought it up.

Rylant
    Careful with the "racist" label. I completely agree with what you're saying, but I don't think Don's said anything racist (has he?), so it's best to just leave that term out of it.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Lol. Yes, I do realize that it was a quote from Bobby Orr. Sorry, you will have to excuse me. I never realized that you were going to post something on this forum opening it up for discussion, and then run and hide behind a “hey, it’s not my quote” excuse when somebody questions it; that is pretty silly.

Rylant
    As I already explained, they are probably independent sentences. That is how I interpreted it so perhaps that is how he meant it.
    You asked a silly question, and I made the mistake of trying to answer it. My bad.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Careful with the "racist" label. I completely agree with what you're saying, but I don't think Don's said anything racist (has he?), so it's best to just leave that term out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    What's racist is the remarks Jess Allen made.
    Racist doesn't really mean anything anymore anyway. It's just a term that's been diluted through overuse and misuse. The Liberals won the last election by successfully painting Scheer as a racist. Ironic, given Justin's love for you know what. ��

Dobber Sports Star

What's racist is the remarks Jess Allen made.
    Racist doesn't really mean anything anymore anyway. It's just a term that's been diluted through overuse and misuse. The Liberals won the last election by successfully painting Scheer as a racist. Ironic, given Justin's love for you know what. ��
    Also not racist in my opinion (though clearly you're right, the definition has been entirely muddied). I don't know who she is and I don't really care what her opinion is, but I didn't see anything racist in her rant that people are freaking out about.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Pretty funny to see a 31 Thoughts podcast come out and have zero mention of all this stuff.

Dobber Sports Star

As I already explained, they are probably independent sentences. That is how I interpreted it so perhaps that is how he meant it.
    You asked a silly question, and I made the mistake of trying to answer it. My bad.
    Pretty dramatic, considering I never asked you a question at all. Nicely distorted. Nobody is surprised.

Rylant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Pretty funny to see a 31 Thoughts podcast come out and have zero mention of all this stuff.
    At this point I'd say it's the right choice. Not everyone has to go on a soapbox and tell the world what they think about every issue.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Similarly no mention of it in the ramblings (possible I missed it?). Can't say I blame any journalist for not touching it, there's just too much controversy.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Similarly no mention of it in the ramblings (possible I missed it?). Can't say I blame any journalist for not touching it, there's just too much controversy.
    Does every single journalist and writer owe the world their opinion about this? At some point people have to move on...

It's not just a matter of avoiding controversy.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Friedman covered it at the bottom his 31 thoughts on sportsnet.ca. I can't blame him for not wanting to go too much into it.

This weekend could be awkward; do we have any idea what the first intermission will be like yet (sorry if someones already said)

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Does every single journalist and writer owe the world their opinion about this? At some point people have to move on...

It's not just a matter of avoiding controversy.
    No they don't.. And I agree about moving on. My dobber enjoyment would go up if both these threads were locked.

They are like a forum train wreck that I can't help clicking on.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):