Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

I guess Kevin Bieksa is secretly Russian now?!?!?!
    You people are hilarious!

And Luongo - what the heck was he doing playing for Team Canada?! Clearly another Russian, since Cherry refused to pronounce his name right.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    As mentioned above... everyone who overlooks what we all know he was trying to point out needs to give their head a shake. We all know he is not an English Teacher... and neither is my 82 year old grandpa... I am sure you all have an 'old' relative that isn't as well-spoken as they used to be... I am sure we don't pick through everything they say with a fine-toothed comb... I am pretty sure we are always analyzing and trying to read between the lines with the elderly in our lives... So why do we try to find the negative when someone public says something... but when 90 year old Granny says something rude we brush it off and try to find the positive in it?
    Is 90 year old Granny the best person to put on Coach's Corner in prime time on Saturday night? Actually, Granny is probably an upgrade. Vote for Granny!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

As mentioned above... everyone who overlooks what we all know he was trying to point out needs to give their head a shake. We all know he is not an English Teacher... and neither is my 82 year old grandpa... I am sure you all have an 'old' relative that isn't as well-spoken as they used to be... I am sure we don't pick through everything they say with a fine-toothed comb... I am pretty sure we are always analyzing and trying to read between the lines with the elderly in our lives... So why do we try to find the negative when someone public says something... but when 90 year old Granny says something rude we brush it off and try to find the positive in it?
    What an awful take. Thanks for one of the worst posts I've read on this site. Looks like Don is not the only old codger who needs to shut his mouth and walk away from broadcasting outdated and wrong opinions.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Titan

This 1:38 video actually made me laugh at how bad he was back in the 90's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIyj8_Pw87g

I am on board to say the stuff in the 90s shouldn't really be held against him if he's changed his views on the stuff. I haven't ever talked to him personally, but he sounds like a guy who has his view, and won't change it for any reason. So he's fired, won't be back on coaches corner. He'll do his podcast still probably. He'll be out there, just not on TV. What sponsor will allow him on TV again really?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Is 90 year old Granny the best person to put on Coach's Corner in prime time on Saturday night? Actually, Granny is probably an upgrade. Vote for Granny!
    I am not saying Cherry is still the best man for the job. I am saying that people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. People are searching for the negative in everything people say. People are clearly overlooking what Cherry meant. I don't care if he is on Coach's Corner or not... what I care about is that people actually don't form a conclusion based on their biased perceptions. We all know he was trying to defend and promote our troops... he wasn't trying to be intentionally negative... glass half full people!

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    What an awful take. Thanks for one of the worst posts I've read on this site. Looks like Don is not the only old codger who needs to shut his mouth and walk away from broadcasting outdated and wrong opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Padawan

HAHAHA - now THAT is almost worth a mic drop. Well done, sir.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I agree that was his intent. But that's also the problem. He's so completely unaware of how offensive his views are that he can't even see it. His view of 'the other' is so tied into his worldview that it doesn't even come across as a blip on his radar. The world has largely moved on from letting casual comments like this pass, and Cherry is too steeped in it to even realize that it's an issue. Hence why his days are done.
    The world has moved on to being pretty damn soft too, and wrapped in bubbles.

Sportsnet knew exactly what they had with Don Cherry. They continued to sign him to new contracts because he is (was) their cash cow (as I've already said). They dont keep him around for his hockey views. That's not why he keeps getting new contracts. It's not like Don Cherry says anything hockey related that is new to anyone who watches us. People tune into Don because he's entertainment more than a sports commentator and the big sponsors continue to give Sportsnet money to promote him.

All "you people" already know all this but hey, you're all happy he's gone now. Congrats, you win!

Now who are all you pinkos going to complain about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I agree that was his intent. But that's also the problem. He's so completely unaware of how offensive his views are that he can't even see it. His view of 'the other' is so tied into his worldview that it doesn't even come across as a blip on his radar. The world has largely moved on from letting casual comments like this pass, and Cherry is too steeped in it to even realize that it's an issue. Hence why his days are done.

Sportsnet knew exactly what they had with Don Cherry. They continued to sign him to new contracts because he is (was) their cash cow (as I've already said). They dont keep him around for his hockey views. That's not why he keeps getting new contracts. It's not like Don Cherry says anything hockey related that is new to anyone who watches us. People tune into Don because he's entertainment more than a sports commentator and the big sponsors continue to give Sportsnet money to promote him.

All "you people" already know all this but hey, you're all happy he's gone now. Congrats, you win!

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

As for who they are going to complain about next.... it will be whoever the mainstream media tells them they should complain about!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Now I'm a communist because I find xenophobic comments to be past their due date. Ooookay then.

Dobber Sports Pro

Sportsnet was already bleeding money and they just fired the only true cash cow they had.

Good luck Sportsnet!
    Is there any data to back up the claim that from 4:00pm ET to 4:05pm ET saw a massive rating spike that increased sportsnets revenue? Or that the first game on Saturday was the most watched of all games for the week?

If anything Sportsnet probably saved money on his contract opposed to the money they lose. The game passed him by after 2004 when it became more about speed than "clutch and grab and tough guy" hockey of the 70's and 80's that people still cling on to for dear life now-a-days
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Is there any data to back up the claim that from 4:00pm ET to 4:05pm ET saw a massive rating spike that increased sportsnets revenue? Or that the first game on Saturday was the most watched of all games for the week?

If anything Sportsnet probably saved money on his contract opposed to the money they lose. The game passed him by after 2004 when it became more about speed than "clutch and grab and tough guy" hockey of the 70's and 80's that people still cling on to for dear life now-a-days
    How many on-air employees did Rogers Sportsnet let go in the past year from their hockey broadcast? I know one of them wasn't Don Cherry, until yesterday, and for a totally different reason. If they wanted to save money on his contract, they didn't have to re-up when they did and they could have saved that money.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Although I think Brian Burke is the logical choice to replace Cherry, I have a feeling HNIC might go another way.
    And I have to say, I hope they do it.

"Campbell's Corner" with Cassie Campbell.

Has a nice ring to it.

Administrator

Campbell's bowl of hockey soup. Sponsored by... not Moore's.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

There is no question that this is a tough issue. Let's be real here; Don Cherry was on TV forever because of his personality. He was filled with colourful comments which were highly entertaining. He brought a certain perspective and preached tough hockey and patriotism. That is WHY he was being paid. Unfortunately, sometimes it crossed the line. You put a boring guy in (Hello George Strombolopolous), and you never get the attention or viewers that you hope for. You put in a guy who is over the top who can attract viewers, and sometimes you have to apologize for the stupid shit he says.

I don't envy the broadcasting group who has to walk the line between getting viewers, and not offending people. I think that Don Cherry outstayed his welcome, but he brought a ton of dollars to the team over his tenure, all because of the way he is. I understand the people who are pissed; "Hey, thanks for putting us on the map, but now that we have used you for what you are worth, you are no longer welcome here." I get it...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

An interesting read from this past summer and why Sportsnet brought back Don for another season of Coaches Corner.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...turn-1.4693412

Ask Sportsnet president Scott Moore about hockey commentator Don Cherry and one memorable road trip immediately comes to mind.

They flew in to Winnipeg last year before driving together to Kenora, Ont., for a Hockey Day in Canada event.

"It was maybe the most entertaining two-hour drive I've ever had," Moore recalled Tuesday. "We did everything from talking about old movies to him singing his favourite rap songs to me. It was unbelievable.

"If people knew the Don Cherry behind Coach's Corner, they'd have an even greater appreciation for what an incredible guy he is."

"I think he continues to be relevant, he continues to be must-watch television," Moore said in an interview at a downtown restaurant. "We sit down every July for lunch to talk about whether or not he wants to come back and in what capacity.

"I expect that he will be back next year. We've had some preliminary discussions. I'm obviously a big fan of his."