Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Technically what he said is more xenophobic than racist

"Having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries."
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    And anyone who thinks his end goal wasn't more to support the Veterans than to belittle immigrants doesn't know their head from their arsehole and simply is looking for a reason to be happy that he's off the air. His wording was off, but his intent was clear.
    Totally agree!!!
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I'm a tall white male and a 5th generarion Canadian. I didn't buy a poppy this year.

I feel like Don was addressing me
    Cherry clearly wasn't addressing you. That's the issue. That you think it's about you when it's not, that you don't think it's malicious despite what many hockey journalists and fans from visibly immigrant families have written in the past three days, and that you don't want to acknowledge Cherry's many xenophobic past remarks as possibly being related to this, is what makes your post sound like a textbook white privilege.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I mean disagree with me and we can have a dialogue about it. Or predictably label me with the go to move, I get how that's easier. Congrats on being first 11 minutes after I posted. Several others will read it later and wish they beat you to it.

Sam Harris has an excellent Ted talk on morality. This thread made me think of it and re-watch it (it's been a few years). If anyone's interested here's the link:

https://youtu.be/Hj9oB4zpHww
    Re-listen to the words Don chose.

Re-read your post.

Now read up about white privilege.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

Although the definition of "white privilege" has been somewhat fluid, it is generally agreed to refer to the implicit or systemic advantages that white people have relative to people who are the objects of racism; it is the absence of suspicion and other negative reactions that people who are objects of racism experience.[11]

The term is used in discussions focused on the mostly hidden benefits that white people possess in a society where racism is prevalent and whiteness is considered normal, rather than on the detriments to people who are the objects of racism.[12][13] As such, most definitions and discussions of the concept use as a starting point McIntosh's metaphor of the "invisible backpack" that white people unconsciously "wear" in a society where racism is prevalent.[
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

And anyone who thinks his end goal wasn't more to support the Veterans than to belittle immigrants doesn't know their head from their arsehole and simply is looking for a reason to be happy that he's off the air. His wording was off, but his intent was clear.
    Well said Axeman33! I am surprised at how many people overlook this... but it is the way that our society is going...

'lets turn everything negative...woe is me...I am a squeaky wheel and I am going to squeak about everything!'
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Swels Stewart View Post
    Cherry clearly wasn't addressing you. That's the issue. That you think it's about you when it's not, that you don't think it's malicious despite what many hockey journalists and fans from visibly immigrant families have written in the past three days, and that you don't want to acknowledge Cherry's many xenophobic past remarks as possibly being related to this, is what makes your post sound like a textbook white privilege.
    Fair enough. I should have said I felt he was also addressing me as I don't think he was talking to me directly (was trying to make a point by being so direct) but everyone regardless of race or ethnicity that didn't buy a poppy. I fell into that group.

You're right about the xenophobic past remarks. No denying that as there are many examples and they do play a role in this. It's been said but it's a bit ironic that denouncing Canadians is what got him canned.

I will say that I listened to several people from a variety of ethnicities call into the Vancouver sports radio station yesterday supporting Don. I also heard several that were offended by the remarks. The overwhelming feeling from all the callers was that we are all Canadian regardless of ethnicity and that our diversity is what makes us great.

It's very difficult for a publicist/journalists to publicly support Don regardless of how they truly feel because their livelihood is tied directly to what they say about it. If Don cherry can get fired for this every other Canadian journalist has to tread very carefully.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

I agree that was his intent. But that's also the problem. He's so completely unaware of how offensive his views are that he can't even see it. His view of 'the other' is so tied into his worldview that it doesn't even come across as a blip on his radar. The world has largely moved on from letting casual comments like this pass, and Cherry is too steeped in it to even realize that it's an issue. Hence why his days are done.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I agree that was his intent. But that's also the problem. He's so completely unaware of how offensive his views are that he can't even see it. His view of 'the other' is so tied into his worldview that it doesn't even come across as a blip on his radar. The world has largely moved on from letting casual comments like this pass, and Cherry is too steeped in it to even realize that it's an issue. Hence why his days are done.
    This. Exactly this. Drop the mic. Move along.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    This. Exactly this. Drop the mic. Move along.
    Wow... this post is so insightful and really added to the thread. Save the mic drop for when someone says something truly epic... not just for when someone says something that you agree with. It truly makes a mic drop less meaningful if you just drop it every time you agree with someones comment.

And imagine if some world leader said something impactful... and then someone else had to come and drop the mic for them.. that would be kinda redundant... and a waste of time for whoever has to walk across the stage to the mic stand and drop it for them.

As mentioned above... everyone who overlooks what we all know he was trying to point out needs to give their head a shake. We all know he is not an English Teacher... and neither is my 82 year old grandpa... I am sure you all have an 'old' relative that isn't as well-spoken as they used to be... I am sure we don't pick through everything they say with a fine-toothed comb... I am pretty sure we are always analyzing and trying to read between the lines with the elderly in our lives... So why do we try to find the negative when someone public says something... but when 90 year old Granny says something rude we brush it off and try to find the positive in it?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Wow... this post is so insightful and really added to the thread. Save the mic drop for when someone says something truly epic... not just for when someone says something that you agree with. It truly makes a mic drop less meaningful if you just drop it every time you agree with someones comment.

And imagine if some world leader said something impactful... and then someone else had to come and drop the mic for them.. that would be kinda redundant... and a waste of time for whoever has to walk across the stage to the mic stand and drop it for them.

As mentioned above... everyone who overlooks what we all know he was trying to point out needs to give their head a shake. We all know he is not an English Teacher... and neither is my 82 year old grandpa... I am sure you all have an 'old' relative that isn't as well-spoken as they used to be... I am sure we don't pick through everything they say with a fine-toothed comb... I am pretty sure we are always analyzing and trying to read between the lines with the elderly in our lives... So why do we try to find the negative when someone public says something... but when 90 year old Granny says something rude we brush it off and try to find the positive in it?
    Because he is advocating his views/beliefs to thousands/millions of people across the country/world on a platform that has nothing to do with the subject, not sitting in rocking chair in the living room being ignored by most of his family.

Had he said, go buy poppies and support a good cause, that's a whole different message than what he did say.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

-1989, referred to Finnish-Born Jets Assistant coach as "some kind of dog food"
    -1998, Criticized Canada's choice of skier Jean-Luc Brassard as Olympic flag-bearer "A French guy, some skier nobody knows about"
    -2004, when demonstrating why visors aren't safer said "most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French guys". Not bad really, but it made CBC implemented a 7s delay for Coaches Corner because of the comments. A study did come out and proved 50% of European players and 40% of French-Canadians wore visors, where 22% of NA (outside of Quebec) wore visors. CBC removed the 7s delay for the 2005-06 season after the study came out
    -2008, he called David Suzuki a "left-wing kook" for his climate change stance
    -His pinko comments in 2010
    -2011, Called former enforcers (Grimson, Nilan, Thomson) "pukes" and "turncoats" for suggesting NHL players who fight are prone to substance abuse. These were shortly made after Boogard, Belak, and Rypiens deaths.
    -2013, Said he was against female reporters being allowed in the NHL dressing rooms.
    -2015, on a CC he was talking about how superstars shouldn't fight, Ron MacLean said "concussions are a strong reason to refrain from fighting" and Cherry says "never mind the concussions...you don't see guys getting concussions from fighting"
    -2018, he denied climate changed and referred to people who do as "cuckaloos".
    -2019, "Downtown Toronto, Forget it, downtown Toronto, nobody wears a poppy. You people love, you that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada"
    -Then countless times he's gone out of his way almost to miss-pronounce Russian players names. Just shows lack of respect really. Pretty sure Zaitsev pointed that out last yr.

I don't think the firing is solely based on his comments made on Nov9th. I think it was just the final straw that broke the camels back.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    -1989, referred to Finnish-Born Jets Assistant coach as "some kind of dog food"
    -1998, Criticized Canada's choice of skier Jean-Luc Brassard as Olympic flag-bearer "A French guy, some skier nobody knows about"
    -2004, when demonstrating why visors aren't safer said "most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French guys". Not bad really, but it made CBC implemented a 7s delay for Coaches Corner because of the comments. A study did come out and proved 50% of European players and 40% of French-Canadians wore visors, where 22% of NA (outside of Quebec) wore visors. CBC removed the 7s delay for the 2005-06 season after the study came out
    -2008, he called David Suzuki a "left-wing kook" for his climate change stance
    -His pinko comments in 2010
    -2011, Called former enforcers (Grimson, Nilan, Thomson) "pukes" and "turncoats" for suggesting NHL players who fight are prone to substance abuse. These were shortly made after Boogard, Belak, and Rypiens deaths.
    -2013, Said he was against female reporters being allowed in the NHL dressing rooms.
    -2015, on a CC he was talking about how superstars shouldn't fight, Ron MacLean said "concussions are a strong reason to refrain from fighting" and Cherry says "never mind the concussions...you don't see guys getting concussions from fighting"
    -2018, he denied climate changed and referred to people who do as "cuckaloos".
    -2019, "Downtown Toronto, Forget it, downtown Toronto, nobody wears a poppy. You people love, you that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada"
    -Then countless times he's gone out of his way almost to miss-pronounce Russian players names. Just shows lack of respect really. Pretty sure Zaitsev pointed that out last yr.

I don't think the firing is solely based on his comments made on Nov9th. I think it was just the final straw that broke the camels back.
    Also, the Sabourin comments from a few weeks ago.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Padawan

wow, That's IT ?!?!
    4 decades on the air, and that's the best list people can produce ? !
    haha

I could watch CNN for a day and come up with more offside insults than that. And they are supposed to be a NEWS network! Cherry's just a loud mouth commentator.

Dobber Sports Padawan

By the way, what has sort of been overlooked in all this... turns out Ron Maclean is the biggest puke and turncoat of all. Who knew. hmmm

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    wow, That's IT ?!?!
    4 decades on the air, and that's the best list people can produce ? !
    haha

I could watch CNN for a day and come up with more offside insults than that. And they are supposed to be a NEWS network! Cherry's just a loud mouth commentator.
    I'm sure if you went through every episode, you could find more. The fact that that's all I thought of now, that's a decent list.

There was already some people upset with his Sabourin comments last week, and there's articles saying his hockey views are outdated, let alone his personal views. When Budweiser and John Tory have to go out and make comments because of this, it's clear it's upset people.