Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Bubble Wrapped Pinkos

Well played. Well played. Sums things up nicely on one side of the argument.

Mic drop.

Xenophobia wrapped in patriotism. That same old chestnut we see south of the border.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ninja

Maybe if Don Cherry wasn't such a snowflake getting so offended over people's rights to not wear a poppy, this never would have happened!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This thread has gone all of the predictable directions.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This thread has gone all of the predictable directions.
    Almost there. Still waiting for your one word "witty" post that oozes superiority.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

How surprising, an attack even when I don't say anything. Who could have possibly seen that coming. I for one am shocked.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Too many words, please try again.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I’m a Canadian of colour (not that it really matters but since it’s the politically correct thing nowadays so why not mention it) - born and raised - due to my parents who were Canadian immigrants themselves. Here are my thoughts:

What Don said was wrong in terms of how it was worded but he had good intentions behind it. And it’s okay to believe that as things don’t have to be one way or the other; a lot of times, the answer lies in the middle and this is just another case imho.

I really do think he was trying to convey the right message but said it in the worst way possible. I personally don’t have a huge problem with it but I can see why others do. He ultimately made it an “us vs them” thing with his wording which is obviously where the problem lies. It was a hypocritical thing to say because he singled out outsiders as not paying enough respects to vets+etc when born and raised Canadians themselves do the same. Again just poor choice of words on his part. All he had to do was be classic Cherry and instead say something along the lines of “all you people out there,” but he went with “you people who come here” and singled them out seemingly out the blue.

It doesn’t help that Rogers/SNet has been looking to phase out Coaches Corner. Ever since their takeover of the national broadcast rights, Coaches Corner got slashed significantly. Only got something like 2-3 minutes of airtime and it was apparent how congested they forced it to become. Just wasn’t the same as before.

...I’m going to really miss Don and tuning in on Saturday’s. Sucks to see him go and it end like this. Feels like a part of hockey heritage has been taken away from me. Pretty bummed out about it all tbh. Saturday’s will never be the same and I’ll be less inclined to view games certainly on that day as tuning in specifically for Coaches Corner was synonymous with HNIC.

Last remarks - I just hope people can be open minded to see both sides. Let’s not act like Don didn’t want to convey a message dear to his heart on Remembrance Day to honour those who served but let’s not also act like he didn’t butcher his wording either.
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks13 View Post
    All he had to do was be classic Cherry and instead say something along the lines of “all you people out there,” but he went with “you people who come here” and singled them out seemingly out the blue.
    Exactly, thank you.

The thing that really gets me fired up about this is all the facebook posts/articles/etc getting spread around in Cherry's defense that conveniently leave out the "come here" part. If he didn't say that part, it would be easily to defend his comment as being directed at all non-poppy wearers. But, he chose words that took his comment from patriotic to xenophobic.

Dobber Sports Deity

I’m a Canadian of colour (not that it really matters but since it’s the politically correct thing nowadays so why not mention it) - born and raised - due to my parents who were Canadian immigrants themselves. Here are my thoughts:

What Don said was wrong in terms of how it was worded but he had good intentions behind it. And it’s okay to believe that as things don’t have to be one way or the other; a lot of times, the answer lies in the middle and this is just another case imho.

I really do think he was trying to convey the right message but said it in the worst way possible. I personally don’t have a huge problem with it but I can see why others do. He ultimately made it an “us vs them” thing with his wording which is obviously where the problem lies. It was a hypocritical thing to say because he singled out outsiders as not paying enough respects to vets+etc when born and raised Canadians themselves do the same. Again just poor choice of words on his part. All he had to do was be classic Cherry and instead say something along the lines of “all you people out there,” but he went with “you people who come here” and singled them out seemingly out the blue.

It doesn’t help that Rogers/SNet has been looking to phase out Coaches Corner. Ever since their takeover of the national broadcast rights, Coaches Corner got slashed significantly. Only got something like 2-3 minutes of airtime and it was apparent how congested they forced it to become. Just wasn’t the same as before.

...I’m going to really miss Don and tuning in on Saturday’s. Sucks to see him go and it end like this. Feels like a part of hockey heritage has been taken away from me. Pretty bummed out about it all tbh. Saturday’s will never be the same and I’ll be less inclined to view games certainly on that day as tuning in specifically for Coaches Corner was synonymous with HNIC.

Last remarks - I just hope people can be open minded to see both sides. Let’s not act like Don didn’t want to convey a message dear to his heart on Remembrance Day to honour those who served but let’s not also act like he didn’t butcher his wording either.
    Well said!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

As I hold onto the mic (not everyone has butter-fingers and drops it every few minutes) I am going to commend you for a great post! Especially the last part about seeing both sides!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Exactly, thank you.

The thing that really gets me fired up about this is all the facebook posts/articles/etc getting spread around in Cherry's defense that conveniently leave out the "come here" part. If he didn't say that part, it would be easily to defend his comment as being directed at all non-poppy wearers. But, he chose words that took his comment from patriotic to xenophobic.
    Mhmm.

I myself am the furthest from being politically correct (I hate that entire outrage culture almost entirely) but this isn’t a result of cancel culture as is a case lots of times. Don did it to himself with that specific wording.

However I am confused as to why HNIC/SNet didn’t at least give Cherry an opportunity to apologize. Afterall, MacLean was allowed to and he sat there right beside Don while nodding and even gave a thumbs up. Not to mean MacLean should be canned but why not give the same chance to Don? I see that as a 1way road and unfair. I’m sure Don would have said he was wrong in how he worded things and explained just as I did in my post what he meant. And that would be the end of it. But he wasn’t and it’s a head scratcher. If anything that just reaffirms what I said about them wanting him out. They got a reason to and didn’t think twice or allow for any due diligence.
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso

Dobber Sports Veteran

Mhmm.

I myself am the furthest from being politically correct (I hate that entire outrage culture almost entirely) but this isn’t a result of cancel culture as is a case lots of times. Don did it to himself with that specific wording.

However I am confused as to why HNIC/SNet didn’t at least give Cherry an opportunity to apologize. Afterall, MacLean was allowed to and he sat there right beside Don while nodding and even gave a thumbs up. Not to mean MacLean should be canned but why not give the same chance to Don? I see that as a 1way road and unfair. I’m sure Don would have said he was wrong in how he worded things and explained just as I did in my post what he meant. And that would be the end of it. But he wasn’t and it’s a head scratcher. If anything that just reaffirms what I said about them wanting him out. They got a reason to and didn’t think twice or allow for any due diligence.
    He was apparently asked to provide an apology and he did not want to.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Mhmm.

They did, he refused to apologize and said "I meant what I said". He was fired because he didn't apologize, and MacLean kept his job because he apologized.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Mhmm.

Not only did they give him a chance to apologize, they offered to keep his job but he would have to play by their rules on what would be said. Basically, apologize and do as your told, to which he declined.

I can't say I blame him. You can't take back what's been said and an apology would be empty, especially come from Don Cherry. He clearly meant what he said or he wouldn't have said it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    They did, he refused to apologize and said "I meant what I said". He was fired because he didn't apologize, and MacLean kept his job because he apologized.
    No that’s not true. Nothing confirmed (as of yet at least) shows that he was given a chance to go back on camera and apologize.

The “I meant what I said” is misleading. Just as people saying all he said was “you people” but conveniently leave out the “that come here”.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...-poppy-comment
    Don’s interview, it’s apparent he’s just found out like the rest of us what happened. “I meant what I said”, followed by “Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers”. And that’s why I believe he had nothing but good intent. There’s nothing wrong in that. Difference being here he says “everybody in Canada” in which case there’s no problem meaning what he said but on air he said “you people that come here”...he already sort of admits to his wrong wording here. I bet he’d do the same if he was given a chance to apologize/clear things up like Ron was.

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso