Thread: Bad Deal...Iginla for Cheechoo

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Bad Deal...Iginla for Cheechoo

In our buddies (all friends from our Ball team) league with 5 Keepers, one guy just made the dumbest trade. Keep in mind that 6-7 of the managers are in their 1st or 2nd year ever doing Fantasy sports. 2 newbies made a deal of Iginla or Cheechoo, the guy that traded away Iggy is getting chirped hard for his stupidity. I just hope the league doesn\'t go for a shit becuase some managers may try hard to take advantage of this rookie managers. I also don\'t want to see \'league votes\' on trades, because with so many new guys there would possibly be alot of VETOES out of jealousy. I want this to be an entertaining league for years to come, and I am unsure of where to go forward...
    10 Team 5 Keeper Roto....Stats are:G,A,+/-,HITS,PPP,SOG,FW and W,SO,GAA,SV%:

C-A.Barkov,V.Trochek,B.Horvat
    RW-A.Svechkinov(LW),T.Bertuzzi(LW),P.Laine(LW)
    LW-B.Marchand,E.Kane(RW),B.Schenn(RW/C)
    F-L.Couture(C)
    D-K.Letang,D.Nurse,M.Seider,N.Pionk
    G-I.Shesterkin.C.Hellebuyck
    BEN-E.Merzlikins(G),K.Kahkonen(G),J.Bratt(LW/RW),T.Toffoli(LW/RW),B.Jenner(LW/C),R.Andersson(D)
    IR-J.Vrana(LW),N.Ehlers(RW/LW)

Dobber Sports Ace

That is a fleecing of the highest order. If this is going to be a fun league for years to come you don\'t need managers taking the newbies to town in the first year. If that continues the new managers are going to get sick of the whole thing pretty quick and call it quits because they are going to lose every year to loaded teams.

Just my 0.2c worth
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I´m a commish in a league with it´s share of \"new\" managers. I´ve yet used my veto powers and I´m pretty set to do that only when there´s some obvious collusion or some manager that have thrown in the towel and in effect letting some other manager take over his team.

The usual newbie-mistakes, how loopsided they may be, I´ll just let them learn from their mistakes. Not a keeper league though so any mistakes get \"reset\" every year. I do however try and put som pressure on the more veteran managers in the league so they don´t fleece the new guys.

But rest assured, I´ve screamed out loud in frustration a couple of times already even though the season is only a couple of weeks old. When you invite, or try to introduce new people to the wonderful world of fantasy sports, I think you just have to accept that the league will consist of managers doing some strange things once in a while. It´s a friendly league and not a highly competitive one with hardcore managers. The upside is that in a few years you may have a prospering league with a solid core of managers.

In your case, if the guy who´s getting iginla is a veteran fantasy manager or a player who know´s he´s robbing the rookie I´d tell him to refrain from such moves in the future as it will slowly ruin the league. If it´s two rookies just trying to outsmart eachother just let them do just that. And meanwhile, find yourself another league to keep you occupied until your buddies realise that Cheechoo for Iginla is an bad idea.

Dobber Sports Initiate

It was actually two 2nd year newbies that made this deal...its the 3 veteran managers that are floored and puzzled at how to try to prevent this from happening again...
    10 Team 5 Keeper Roto....Stats are:G,A,+/-,HITS,PPP,SOG,FW and W,SO,GAA,SV%:

C-A.Barkov,V.Trochek,B.Horvat
    RW-A.Svechkinov(LW),T.Bertuzzi(LW),P.Laine(LW)
    LW-B.Marchand,E.Kane(RW),B.Schenn(RW/C)
    F-L.Couture(C)
    D-K.Letang,D.Nurse,M.Seider,N.Pionk
    G-I.Shesterkin.C.Hellebuyck
    BEN-E.Merzlikins(G),K.Kahkonen(G),J.Bratt(LW/RW),T.Toffoli(LW/RW),B.Jenner(LW/C),R.Andersson(D)
    IR-J.Vrana(LW),N.Ehlers(RW/LW)

If the guy that was fleeced was chirped pretty hard about his giveaway, that should go a long ways towards educating him about the value of his players. If you know hockey at all, then moving to fantasy hockey should not be that big a step. Most people who follow the game at all should know that Iggy is much better than Cheechoo.
    I guess you just have to grin and bear it and try to educate the person that got fleeced. If it happens once or twice more, he may just give up on the whole thing and I don\'t think you really want that to happen.

Dobber Sports Guru

jager, i would just speak with your new guys and tell them that if they ever need a 2nd opinion before making a deal, then you\'re there to give them impartial advice. tell them to post it here, or do it for them. everyone new to fantasy sports has made this blunder once or twice. prudent guidance from your pool\'s veterans will help everyone enjoy it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great advice Ultrawhiteness. Rather then come down hard on someone, if you can help them out then they will feel like they are learning.

Dobber Sports Master

I think coming down hard on the rookie managers is an effective social deterrent for making stupid trades. Maybe the next time, he will research it a bit more. Trading Iggy for Cheechoo is a real clanger.

UW makes a good suggestion by telling them about these forums. Its definitely a learning curve. Fantasy hockey teams need an informed manager to make their team better. It is not very often you fluke your way to the top when there are other experienced managers in the league.