Thread: Backstrom or Malkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Backstrom or Malkin

League and team in sig, who'd you rather have: Backstrom or Malkin

Backstrom a year or two younger, and they're pretty much polar opposites from a reliability perspective. Malkin obviously more injury prone whereas Backstrom is a fairly safe bet to play almost the entire slate every year.

Still, I'm not sure those facts adequately convey the entire picture here, so I'm curious in your thoughts.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Backstrom or Malkin

In a 14 team league, with that amount of players rostered, I'm going with Backstrom.

Malkin is good in a 10-12 team league with minimal bench spots because you end up getting Malkin+whoever you pick up while he's on IR. So you get 60-70games of Malkin at 0.9-1ppg, then 10-20 games of random FA guy who can help you fill a void that week. Either it be a goalie or a guy that will get SOG/BS.

But in a large league, you don't really have that FA pool. So I'll stick with Backstrom.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Default Re: Backstrom or Malkin

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    In a 14 team league, with that amount of players rostered, I'm going with Backstrom.

Malkin is good in a 10-12 team league with minimal bench spots because you end up getting Malkin+whoever you pick up while he's on IR. So you get 60-70games of Malkin at 0.9-1ppg, then 10-20 games of random FA guy who can help you fill a void that week. Either it be a goalie or a guy that will get SOG/BS.

But in a large league, you don't really have that FA pool. So I'll stick with Backstrom.
    This is a superb answer
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/