Thread: Hertl, buy low?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Hertl, buy low?

The GM that owns Hertl is having a classic early season panic and looking to make a move to improve his team. I could desperately use help at Center and have too many wings on my team to effectively use them all. With San Jose’s slow start, I’m wondering if Hertl is a good buy low Center/LW eligible player for me to target. If so, which of my wingers should I offer (and probably just as important) which ones am I better holding onto? For arguments sake, let’s say I at least know enough that Kucherov, Ovechkin, Laine are all off the table
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Hertl, buy low?

Try for Nino and see where that gets you.

I would also do Mantha but let's not get carried away here

Dobber Sports Veteran

I dont think Nino does it and im not sure Id give Mantha for Hertl. Your sig doesn't show the problem you claim to have.

Yes, SJ team is buy right now if people are in panic mode.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm not sure I'd give up Mantha yet at this point. Who knows where that line will take things this year. Nino would be awesome for you, but I agree that won't be enough. If you're not overly invested in Boeser that could be an option but I see he's a keeper of yours.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Your sig doesn't show the problem you claim to have.
    The short answer is that my success at center is tied to two players at least matching their prior year career year, a guy buried in the line up, and a free agent pick up that's never cracked 55 points.

Zibanejad is my most reliable center. He's positioned well to have a great year, but he's coming off a career year and the Rangers are still a very young team that I imagine will have growing pains. Toews is only as good as he's able to repeat last year's career performance of 80+ points, which means he has to stay on L1 with Kane, PP1 and keep producing. If he is anything like the previous 7+ years, he's a guy that is much more valuable in the NHL than in fantasy. His historical fantasy scoring in our set up has him as a definite drop in our league if he doesn't repeat. Stastny is L3 in Vegas and it it's unknown if/when he'll relinquish Glass from that cushy role between Stone and Patches. Haula is a "ride the wave" pick up that I don't envision being on my roster all season.

I also have 7 wingers and only 4 active winger spots to play them in, so I'm consistently having to keep winger points on the bench on busy NHL nights.

That said, I agree that Nino probably doesn't get it done and anyone else might be too expensive. Mantha might do it (classic sell high, buy low), but he looks primed for a great season and it might be better to see that play out.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not Mantha because of his hot start. That leaves Nino and see what that owner says. I don't think the Sharks will continue to struggle on offense so Hertl will get better.