Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Canadian Election

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Not what I consider a meme... but all I hear is people complaining about it being a meme.. and I have only seen ONE person counter ONE of the comments made in the whole 'meme'
    Well, because the entire post is useless. No need to break it out piecemeal when most of it is garbage.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    This is awesome.

Unfortunately, as awesomely true as it is, the motto of Western Civilization has basically become "can't someone else do it" just like when Springfield elected Homer to be Sanitation Commissioner. Pretty sure his landslide victory in that election inspired the policies of many of today's Liberal/Democrat leaders.
    Why this incessant need to fling s#@! at the Liberals and Democrats? Your comment had an interesting Simpson's reference and then you could not resist the urge to throw in another utterly subjective partisan piece of crap to cap your comment off.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would suggest it makes a bigger difference than you think. Ever heard of the snowball effect? If you choose not to vote.. your coworker, your teammate, your kids... they might choose not to vote. And then their coworker or teammate or friend might choose not to and it keeps extrapolating.

But the inverse is also true... if you choose to work and your buddy sees you vote.. he will go vote.. then his teammate will go vote.. and so on.
    This is more true than some would think. I was at a social function just last week and overheard a conversation between a group of friends who were talking about the upcoming election and whether they would be voting or not. It turned from 2 people passionately telling 5 or 6 others that they HAD to vote, and were swaying them in a certain direction. The response by a few of them was "I don't know anything about any of the other parties though, so I guess I'll just vote for X like you said...."

Unfortunately in this instance, the snowball effect (may have, if they actually followed through and voted) resulted in 5 or 6 uneducated votes.

No. This is not a question of turnout. If there is 90% turnout and and 87% choose to abstain (mark abstained, or leave all options blank - not sure on correct procedure of this), thus showing they do not support any of the candidates... what happens then?
    During the Ontario provincial election the proper way to track this is let your election official that you "decline your right to vote" verbally. I don't believe it's an option for the Federal election though.

Dobber Sports Star

Well, not the result I was hoping for, but better than I was afraid of...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hmmm

If someone suggests that Homer Simpson's landslide election victory in 1998 has inspired current Liberal policy:

A) he is flinging "partisan crap"
    Or
    B) he is obviously joking

Dobber Sports Padawan

Pretty disappointing evening. A lot of Canadians get to struggle financially for many more years.

The Great One

CBC just called a Liberal government (minority or majority still to come...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

I am hoping for a minority so that the NDP can push through a few of their ideas.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So does Scheer get replaced? That was a worse showing than I expected for sure.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I am hoping for a minority so that the NDP can push through a few of their ideas.
    Agreed.

Rylant

The Great One

CBC just called a Liberal minority - still unclear if NDP will have enough to push numbers to 170

Dobber Sports Guru

Right now it's looking like it would be a Liberal/Bloc coalition. The NDPs and Green combined don't give the Liberals enough votes.

Funniest part so far of the night is that it looks like Maxime Bernier will lose his riding.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Star

Wonder what happens with Andrew Scheer. Not sure his sticks around as the Conservative leader.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Right now it's looking like it would be a Liberal/Bloc coalition. The NDPs and Green combined don't give the Liberals enough votes.

Funniest part so far of the night is that it looks like Maxime Bernier will lose his riding.
    Coalitions are not the only possible way a minority government can function. Could well be issue by issue. Liberals have common ground with the Conservatives on some issues, and the NDP/Green Party on others. If this leads to cooperation between parties it could be a win for Canada IMO.

Dobber Sports Guru

Yeah, it's a weird thing with Scheer. People could point to the fact that he gained a lot of seats, and they have almost as many votes as the Liberals, so that's a positive. On the other hand, this should have been a great election victory for the Conservatives.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid