Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Canadian Election

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I get to vote in my old high school for the first time. Neat little thing there.
    That's pretty cool. I love when I get to go back to my old high school for random things.

Just a reminder... you are not voting for Prom King and Queen!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    That's pretty cool. I love when I get to go back to my old high school for random things.

Just a reminder... you are not voting for Prom King and Queen!
    Or isn't he???
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    You're right, to be fair. No difference was not accurate. Voting can make people feel better about themselves, and like they are a part of something bigger than themselves. Like wearing a poppy. Even though the actual tangible differences they are making are in reality microscopic, that doesn't mean no difference. I should be more accurate with my wording. Fair point.
    I would suggest it makes a bigger difference than you think. Ever heard of the snowball effect? If you choose not to vote.. your coworker, your teammate, your kids... they might choose not to vote. And then their coworker or teammate or friend might choose not to and it keeps extrapolating.

But the inverse is also true... if you choose to work and your buddy sees you vote.. he will go vote.. then his teammate will go vote.. and so on.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would suggest it makes a bigger difference than you think. Ever heard of the snowball effect? If you choose not to vote.. your coworker, your teammate, your kids... they might choose not to vote. And then their coworker or teammate or friend might choose not to and it keeps extrapolating.

But the inverse is also true... if you choose to work and your buddy sees you vote.. he will go vote.. then his teammate will go vote.. and so on.
    Glad that voting is something you're passionate about. Enjoy the day!

Dobber Sports Monster

Todd Doherty and Andrew Scheer have my vote. Looking forward to the election results.

Dobber Sports Deity

After all the discussion in this thread alone, I cant understand why anyone would chime in here and not be bothered to vote.

Voting is 100% more effective than complaining online.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    After all the discussion in this thread alone, I cant understand why anyone would chime in here and not be bothered to vote.

Voting is 100% more effective than complaining online.
    So, I already voted, but if someone finds politics interesting to discuss, but the act of voting mostly useless, then it's completely consistent. I've not voted in a couple elections but I've also gone to election parties on those same nights and watched the results out of interest. I find the whole "machine" to be fascinating, and the responses of people to be fun to watch.

Dobber Sports Deity

So, I already voted, but if someone finds politics interesting to discuss, but the act of voting mostly useless, then it's completely consistent. I've not voted in a couple elections but I've also gone to election parties on those same nights and watched the results out of interest. I find the whole "machine" to be fascinating, and the responses of people to be fun to watch.
    That wasn't directed at you personally . That was directed at everyone who bothered to post in this thread. I gotta feel if your interested enough to discuss, you're interested enough to vote.

That wasn't directed at you personally . That was directed at everyone who bothered to post in this thread. I gotta feel if your interested enough to discuss, you're interested enough to vote.
    Voted in every election since being eligible... call me old school!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yup, fair enough. I don't agree at all, and figured I'd lay out why. Voting is such a personal thing for people though, and I get that it can seem really really important to some folks. That's fine. As long as both sides can respect that others feel differently about it.

Anyone that is more familiar with the voting process can you confirm that a certain percentage of abstained votes could result in no one winning an election.

Example... with the bunch of real 'winners' running for Prime Minister... there is no one that Canadians want. If enough people decided to cast an abstained vote... is it possible that no one would win the election.

I know this is extremely far fetched in the Federal Election. It was mentioned in our small town mayoral vote. We had a couple 'winner's running and there was discussion about this possibility and I am just curious. I know it will never happen on a federal level because the Lefties will always vote left... and the Righties will always vote right... but wouldn't it be making if the leaders of the political parties don't start improving.

Yup, fair enough. I don't agree at all, and figured I'd lay out why. Voting is such a personal thing for people though, and I get that it can seem really really important to some folks. That's fine. As long as both sides can respect that others feel differently about it.
    I think if anyone chooses not to vote then they are also choosing to never complain about anything that is decided by the jurisdictional authority.

And since we live in a world where people love to complain when anything doesn't go their way... then I think this is likely far-fetched.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Padawan

I just voted for an independent for the first time ever. She looks likely to take the seat, too. Should be interesting.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Ninja

Anyone that is more familiar with the voting process can you confirm that a certain percentage of abstained votes could result in no one winning an election.

Example... with the bunch of real 'winners' running for Prime Minister... there is no one that Canadians want. If enough people decided to cast an abstained vote... is it possible that no one would win the election.

I know this is extremely far fetched in the Federal Election. It was mentioned in our small town mayoral vote. We had a couple 'winner's running and there was discussion about this possibility and I am just curious. I know it will never happen on a federal level because the Lefties will always vote left... and the Righties will always vote right... but wouldn't it be making if the leaders of the political parties don't start improving.
    No. Turnout could be 10% and it would result in a government being elected.

- - - Updated - - -

I think if anyone chooses not to vote then they are also choosing to never complain about anything that is decided by the jurisdictional authority.

And since we live in a world where people love to complain when anything doesn't go their way... then I think this is likely far-fetched.
    Sure, and I've always felt that those who chose to participate in the electoral process have agreed to that process and forfeit their right to complain. Guess no one gets to complain then!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I find it more interesting that if for example 10% of the voters just canceled their vote, that will show to everyone that another party with different ideas could be a good thing.
    For me, a right economic party without the abortion and other "social right" could be a good option for people.
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson