Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I'm sure many people would like us to stop talking about this, a major social issue that has been happening in society for generations. Just sweep it under the rug until the next privileged male victimizes another woman.
    Go back and read the last 5 pages... It has become a circular argument on all sides. I mean.. if everyone enjoys just spinning their wheels and speaking to walls... by all means. have'atter.

Do you feel like you've accomplished anything over the pat 4000 words and 7 pages you've written? or that you're repeating the same argument because others haven't opened up to your points?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Go back and read the last 5 pages... It has become a circular argument on all sides. I mean.. if everyone enjoys just spinning their wheels and speaking to walls... by all means. have'atter.

Do you feel like you've accomplished anything over the pat 4000 words and 7 pages you've written? or that you're repeating the same argument because others haven't opened up to your points?
    Sure I have certainly had to repeat myself, mostly because numerous people have joined the conversation late and specifically called me out. So, I had to repeat things that perhaps they didn't read from earlier in the thread. I don't mind. It is an important discussion in my opinion. One that transcends sport.

As for whether or not this conversation accomplishes anything, I don't know. But if there is a chance that some young man reads through this and learns something, then it was all worth it.

I don't have the answer but until women feel safe, this is a discussion worth having. The onus is on us men to listen to the women and start treating them properly. It is about creating awareness of what is right and wrong, learning from the mistakes we make, and trying to be better men.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'll say this much. I know how Lou would handle this. I miss Lou.

As for having a "conversation" and creating "awareness" I support that 100% when the incident warrants such a discussion.
    Like many others in here though, I feel as though this incident has been blown up into something it was not.
    What it has now turned into is an eventual civil suit cash grab. And like I said earlier, good for her. She saw an opportunity and she took it.
    I'd rather see Auston do some serious community service for his stupidity, rather than settle a civil claim for an amount he can easily afford. But he deserves a stiff punishment, whatever it may end up being. Just not a criminal punishment.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I'll say this much. I know how Lou would handle this. I miss Lou.

As for having a "conversation" and creating "awareness" I support that 100% when the incident warrants such a discussion.
    Like many others in here though, I feel as though this incident has been blown up into something it was not.
    What it has now turned into is an eventual civil suit cash grab. And like I said earlier, good for her. She saw an opportunity and she took it.
    I'd rather see Auston do some serious community service for his stupidity, rather than settle a civil claim for an amount he can easily afford. But he deserves a stiff punishment, whatever it may end up being. Just not a criminal punishment.
    Has she filed?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Has she filed?
    Not that I know of.
    I suspect that will come after the criminal charges are settled.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I actually think in a civil suit it would be hard for her to win. They giggled a door handle she said on camera she jumped out of the car pissed off. Then he walked away immediately after the initial confrontation.

If she did/does file i can also see him trying to settle immediately to make it go away.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I actually think in a civil suit it would be hard for her to win. They giggled a door handle she said on camera she jumped out of the car pissed off. Then he walked away immediately after the initial confrontation.

If she did/does file i can also see him trying to settle immediately to make it go away.
    Yes, agreed. I think it will be in the interests of both parties to settle it quickly.
    His side to make it go away as quickly as possible.
    Her side because their lawyer (presumably) will convince them there's not much of a case here worth dragging out.

I'd guess undisclosed settlement in a few weeks. Somewhere between 250 and 500k

Administrator

I'm sure many people would like us to stop talking about this, a major social issue that has been happening in society for generations. Just sweep it under the rug until the next privileged male victimizes another woman.
    Quick note here... If you are this passionate about the issue I suggest focusing your efforts closer to home. Those are the people you can influence. You won't get the results you want on the internet going back and forth with strangers.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Quick note here... If you are this passionate about the issue I suggest focusing your efforts closer to home. Those are the people you can influence. You won't get the results you want on the internet going back and forth with strangers.
    Focusing my efforts closer to home (which I already do, btw) doesn't prevent me from also having a civil conversation online. If you, or anyone, finds this thread a waste of time and would rather go back to discussing your favorite TV shows, or favorite beers, etc., then go ahead (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that). No one is forcing anyone to read or participate in this conversation.

But for those of us who want to keep the issue alive, this is as good a place as any to talk about it. No one is profiting from this and we are not defaming Matthews or calling for him to be suspended or serve jail time. The conversation has morphed into a discussion of how sad it is that once again another woman has been victimized by a group of drunk men in the middle of the night and how we, as men, need to stop this behavior.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports All-Star

This should serve as a lesson to all young athletes that this won't be tolerated as just "innocent" fun anymore. If you are going to attempt something like this in the future, be ready for the consequences and take responsibility.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Focusing my efforts closer to home (which I already do, btw) doesn't prevent me from also having a civil conversation online. If you, or anyone, finds this thread a waste of time and would rather go back to discussing your favorite TV shows, or favorite beers, etc., then go ahead (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that). No one is forcing anyone to read or participate in this conversation.

But for those of us who want to keep the issue alive, this is as good a place as any to talk about it. No one is profiting from this and we are not defaming Matthews or calling for him to be suspended or serve jail time. The conversation has morphed into a discussion of how sad it is that once again another woman has been victimized by a group of drunk men in the middle of the night and how we, as men, need to stop this behavior.
    If you really care about changing society for the better, and it sure seems like you do, I think people would take it more seriously if your efforts were instead focused on incidents which warrant such a serious discussion.

This incident doesn't.

If he had tried to kiss her, or pulled out his junk, or started talking about erotic things, or if he got angry or threatening or abusive in any way, etc, etc, etc, - ok, true enough, this thread would then be fair game for Matthews and his fans in here to face whatever music you want to play for him.
    It would be appropriate and understandable.

Matthews didn't do any of that stuff though.
    He acted like an immature drunk kid who needs to grow up.
    And although he should face serious consequences for what he did, that doesn't mean he should be lumped in with all the terrible people out there who do truly terrible things every day.

The conversation didn't just "morph" organically into something completely off topic... someone, perhaps unintentionally, hijacked the thread and took it in that direction.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    If you really care about changing society for the better, and it sure seems like you do, I think people would take it more seriously if your efforts were instead focused on incidents which warrant such a serious discussion.

This incident doesn't.

If he had tried to kiss her, or pulled out his junk, or started talking about erotic things, or if he got angry or threatening or abusive in any way, etc, etc, etc, - ok, true enough, this thread would then be fair game for Matthews and his fans in here to face whatever music you want to play for him.
    It would be appropriate and understandable.

Matthews didn't do any of that stuff though.
    He acted like an immature drunk kid who needs to grow up.
    And although he should face serious consequences for what he did, that doesn't mean he should be lumped in with all the terrible people out there who do truly terrible things every day.

The conversation didn't just "morph" organically into something completely off topic... someone, perhaps unintentionally, hijacked the thread and took it in that direction.
    I understand what you are saying but I think you either overlooked or misunderstood the message I am trying to convey. So, I will repeat myself again (and I'm sorry for those who have complained of my repetitive comments, but when someone replies to me directly, I feel obliged to respond).

As I have said numerous times, I am not trying to vilify Matthews. I am instead trying to focus on the victim. I have said that what Matthews did is not in the realm of the Weinsteins of this world. What he did is akin to cat calling, butt slapping, whistling at a woman on the street, and other behavior that drunk men often commit that women repeatedly tell us makes them feel objectified, threatened, disturbed, and afraid to walk our streets at night.

I don't think Matthews should be persecuted, fined, suspended, or anything like that. I feel a sincere apology would probably be sufficient (but this is entirely up to the victim). However, my sense is that if Matthews had taken her response to the incident seriously, and not mooned her. Or if his father had taken the situation seriously, the victim probably wouldn't have pressed charges. Bottom-line is that women are tired of this obnoxious behavior by men and they want it to stop. So, making an example of a Matthews serves as a possible lesson to him and others (specifically in the world of sport and in society in general). Is that fair? Perhaps not, but Matthews in the end will get off easy on this. By this time next year, no one will be talking about this. The victim, however, may be impacted by this much longer.

I have kept this thread alive because people have responded to me directly (I haven't added a comment in some time that wasn't a response to someone). I have also kept this thread alive because I sincerely hope men realize from incidents like this one how behavior some consider "innocent, silly, or fun" can be construed as threatening to women.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

I understand what you are saying but I think you either overlooked or misunderstood the message I am trying to convey. So, I will repeat myself again (and I'm sorry for those who have complained of my repetitive comments, but when someone replies to me directly, I feel obliged to respond).
    Stop responding. Please.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

I haven't read through the 117 (?!) posts on this thread, all I have to say is Matthews... what a dumbass. And I'm sorry, but that statement to the press? Could it have been more idiotic? The guy makes $11.6M per year and plays for the frickin Leafs, can't you help the kid prepare an intelligible statement that doesn't make him look like even more of a dumbass?

I get that he's just a kid and he got drunk and did something stupid, which while it should be sanctioned, does not rise to the level of far more serious crimes.

But he's NOT just any kid, he's an extremely visible NHL player who represents alot to the kids out there, ESPECIALLY in his case because every kid in a relatively brand new market looks up to him. You just can't allow that shit to happen. He's got responsibilities and needs to take them seriously. I'm not saying he shouldn't get occasionally hammered, he's a hockey dude after all and only 20, but man do it in a much more private setting, it's 2019!!!

I'm not going to through out comparisons, but can you imagine Crosby, or Toews, or Niedermayer, or Weber, every doing something like this? Grow up man.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Jedi