Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    Problem here is that if it was any of us doing this that security guard would not have said the word unless she was actually assaulted. Fact that it was known Athlete with lots of cash contributed to this. Just watch, civil case for millions for emotional distress is next... we seen this before

Matthews should have known better not to put himself in situation like that...but this is nothing more than taking advantage of situation on the guard part...imo anyhow.
    I really didn't want to comment in this thread, mostly because it's just a bunch of over-privileged white guys who have never known the kind of fear of a woman alone being harassed by a group of men in the middle of the night. If you are siding with Matthews in this situation, you might want to ask yourself why that is. Matthews did a horrible thing, failed to realize the consequences of his actions, and it still seems like neither Matthews nor the Leafs are taking this as seriously as it should be taken.

Just because it could have been a lot worse doesn't mean that it wasn't really, really bad. Even worse, Matthews could have made this situation a whole lot better if his apology had shown any self-awareness, or if he had simply apologized directly to the victim instead of his bullshit "regret that my actions put a distraction on the team or distress any individual". He's more worried about the PR hit to the team than the individual he harassed and intimidated.

That's not an apology. That's an "I'm sorry I got caught, but I haven't learned anything." It's clear from Auston's own statements, in addition to Leafs management, that he just doesn't realize how unacceptable his actions were. It's not about a young kid being out drunk and doing stupid stuff, this is about a group of men harassing and intimidating a vulnerable woman. Matthews needs to be made aware that this kind of behavior is just flat-out not acceptable instead of treating this situation as some kind of "whoops he was drunk, boys will be boys" situation.

Just gross all around. The incident. The "apology." All the justifications from idiots who have no idea what it's like to be the victim in this scenario. Just a bunch of crap all around.

I hope he loses a massive civil suit.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I really didn't want to comment in this thread, mostly because it's just a bunch of over-privileged white guys who have never known the kind of fear of a woman alone being harassed by a group of men in the middle of the night. If you are siding with Matthews in this situation, you might want to ask yourself why that is. Matthews did a horrible thing, failed to realize the consequences of his actions, and it still seems like neither Matthews nor the Leafs are taking this as seriously as it should be taken.

Just because it could have been a lot worse doesn't mean that it wasn't really, really bad. Even worse, Matthews could have made this situation a whole lot better if his apology had shown any self-awareness, or if he had simply apologized directly to the victim instead of his bullshit "regret that my actions put a distraction on the team or distress any individual". He's more worried about the PR hit to the team than the individual he harassed and intimidated.

That's not an apology. That's an "I'm sorry I got caught, but I haven't learned anything." It's clear from Auston's own statements, in addition to Leafs management, that he just doesn't realize how unacceptable his actions were. It's not about a young kid being out drunk and doing stupid stuff, this is about a group of men harassing and intimidating a vulnerable woman. Matthews needs to be made aware that this kind of behavior is just flat-out not acceptable instead of treating this situation as some kind of "whoops he was drunk, boys will be boys" situation.

Just gross all around. The incident. The "apology." All the justifications from idiots who have no idea what it's like to be the victim in this scenario. Just a bunch of crap all around.

I hope he loses a massive civil suit.
    Well said. That apology was an absolute joke. Guess who you won't see in the news drunkenly harassing security guards at 2am? Guys like Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, and Jonathan Toews...
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

This needs to be locked. We’ve moved way beyond hysterical hand wringing into shrill lunacy.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Well said. That apology was an absolute joke. Guess who you won't see in the news drunkenly harassing security guards at 2am? Guys like Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, and Jonathan Toews...
    November 2006:
    Toews was charged with "minor in consumption and noisy party gathering"

February 2007:
    Toews played at University of North Dakota with Oshie. Toews and Oshie entered a bar in Grand Forks as under aged minors (Toews was 18 and Oshie was 20). They both eventually plead guilty to misdemeanour charges. Toews and Oshie each had to pay fines and were ordered to performing community service. Because both stayed out of trouble following the sentences, they were able to avoid more severe penalties.

Toews had one incident at 18yrs old with the law. Very much different, but still a legal issue. But stuff blows over eventually.

Also on Oshie

December 2007:
    Oshie arrested again, this time for disorderly conduct allegedly after peeing in an elevator

It's not the same, but stuff does happen and we'll forget it likely in a few yrs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

This never would have happened on Lamoriello's watch because Austin never would have had that mustache.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Icon

Well said. That apology was an absolute joke.
    Matthews cannot apologize for the action at this point in time since he is still pending charges and an apology would be an admittance of guilt.

Dobber Sports Titan

This never would have happened on Lamoriello's watch because Austin never would have had that mustache.
    He grew the mustache so when they showed him the surveillance video he'd go, "ummm that's not me, I have a mustache, that man does not. Case Closed"
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Matthews cannot apologize for the action at this point in time since he is still pending charges and an apology would be an admittance of guilt.
    Yes, I mean why would someone take ownership when they screw up in 2019. Do the right thing? Be honest and move forward? Lead by example? Crazy talk.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Star

Yes, I mean why would someone take ownership when they screw up in 2019. Do the right thing? Be honest and move forward? Lead by example? Crazy talk.
    It's one thing to apologize and move on when the punishment fits the crime, but you can't admit fault in a situation like this because they will rip your face off.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    It's one thing to apologize and move on when the punishment fits the crime, but you can't admit fault in a situation like this because they will rip your face off.
    I fundamentally disagree. Properly owning this situation and genuinely apologising for it is the best way forward. I'd have alot more respect for him if he just owned it. And guess what, in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal and people would forgive him and move on. Will he have to write a cheque? Probably, but he will probably have to anyway. Just dragging it out unnecessarily and looking like an entitled brat.

All that said he's just a kid that doesn't know anything yet. I was similar at his age. I wish he was getting better advise. I'd be the first to forgive a genuine apology and move on.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

I'm not sure if you are suggesting that a good ol' humble Canadian hockey would never have a run in with the law. This isn't about Nationality but more about the entitlement that young men, especially rich athletes, seem to have. There is a long list of Canadian hockey players who had run-ins with the law. Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Eric and Jordan Staal, Drew Doughty, Mario Lemieux, Patrick Roy, and Martin Brodeur, to name just a few. (Not all those cases involved female victims). Lots of NHL captains and Hall of Famers in that list. The sad part is that what Matthews did is hardly uncommon. Perhaps once the NHL, media, law enforcement, and the general public stop downplaying and covering up incidents like this, they will start to happen less often.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

Man... hard to believe the Patty Kane's sexual assault 'incident' only had 8 pages of comments: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...k+kane+assault

Whereas Austin Matthews & a really poor idea of a practical joke is at 7 in a much smaller span of time. Let's get back to basics. It was a practical joke - to get a reaction. There was no intent to cause harm.

Was it stupid? Yes
    Was it wrong? Yes
    Should he have done it? No
    Will he pay for it? Yes - financially & possibly with a letter.
    Is there any way to justify it? No.

Does it require 7 pages of comments in 3 days? No.

Can we move on?
    It doesn't require a full blown debate like this... Jeesh... just like I tell my daughter. Go outside... get some fresh air.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I'm sure many people would like us to stop talking about this, a major social issue that has been happening in society for generations. Just sweep it under the rug until the next privileged male victimizes another woman.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I'm not sure if you are suggesting that a good ol' humble Canadian hockey would never have a run in with the law. This isn't about Nationality but more about the entitlement that young men, especially rich athletes, seem to have. There is a long list of Canadian hockey players who had run-ins with the law. Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Eric and Jordan Staal, Mario Lemieux, Patrick Roy, and Martin Brodeur, to name just a few. (Not all those cases involved female victims). Lots of NHL captains and Hall of Famers in that list. The sad part is that what Matthews did is hardly uncommon. Perhaps once the NHL, media, law enforcement, and the general public stop downplaying and covering up incidents like this, they will start to happen less often.
    Nothing to do with nationality. Those were the first three that came to mind. Add Matt Sundin to that list or Nick Lidstrom, Daniel Alfredsson.

The first three were active players with similar upside and more applicable to the general social media era in my opinion so that's who I put down.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

Nothing to do with nationality. Those were the first three that came to mind. Add Matt Sundin to that list or Nick Lidstrom, Daniel Alfredsson.

The first three were active players with similar upside and more applicable to the general social media era in my opinion so that's who I put down.
    My apologies for misunderstanding.