Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

I know that will likely be an unpopular opinion, but it is just an opinion.

Maybe more evidence will come forth over time and I will have to re-evaluate my position on this.

Regardless, Matthews needs to grow up. He's being paid like a professional. Act like one. Geez.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don't see the sexual part in the statement. The only "gender" part is when the victim said "I'm a female with PTSD"
    Matthews and his friends were probably jerks
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    What planet do you live on where that is sexual harassment? Nothing about it was sexual or had any sort of sexual intent. Get a grip man.
    what planet do you live on where a group of drunk men attempting to get into the vehicle of a woman at 2:00 am isn't sexual harassment? Any situation in which a man makes a woman afraid for her safety and welfare, whether by intimidation or entering or attempting to enter her personal space, is by definition sexual harassment. You probably think it isn't sexual harassment to stand super close to a woman on the bus, even if there is lots of space, as long as you don't actually touch her. Or that it isn't sexual harassment to yell cat calls at a woman walking by you when you are standing around with a bunch of guys.

The definition of sexual harassment is widening as society no longer considers it acceptable for men to behave inappropriately towards women, no matter the context, venue, time of day, etc.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

Disorderly conduct - definitely. Guilty.
    And I hope they each get a year of community service for it.

Sexual harassment - huh ?!!
    I just don't see it. Unless you mean the mooning part as he was walking away? That's the only action that even comes close to sexual harassment. Based on what we know so far, anyway.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    what planet do you live on where a group of drunk men attempting to get into the vehicle of a woman at 2:00 am isn't sexual harassment? Any situation in which a man makes a woman afraid for her safety and welfare, whether by intimidation or entering or attempting to enter her personal space, is by definition sexual harassment. You probably think it isn't sexual harassment to stand super close to a woman on the bus, even if there is lots of space, as long as you don't actually touch her. Or that it isn't sexual harassment to yell cat calls at a woman walking by you when you are standing around with a bunch of guys.

The definition of sexual harassment is widening as society no longer considers it acceptable for men to behave inappropriately towards women, no matter the context, venue, time of day, etc.
    I hate this perspective. Harassment doesn't have to be sexual just because the parties are different sexes. If a man murders a woman does it somehow have to be considered a sexual crime?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I hate this perspective. Harassment doesn't have to be sexual just because the parties are different sexes. If a man murders a woman does it somehow have to be considered a sexual crime?
    It is not sexual harassment merely because they are different sexes...it is sexual harassment because a bunch of drunk men attempted to invade the personal space of a woman. The context doesn't really matter to the definition of sexual harassment, but it is certainly made worse in this case by the fact that it was 2:00 am, which (I'm only speculating here) probably made the woman feel even more unsafe than if the men had tried to enter her car in broad daylight.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Big Daddy

You have been typing out the same response over and over again in different wording. This isn’t going to change my opinion and it certainly isn’t going to make you correct. And now you are telling me what I think is and isn’t sexual harassment. May as well just change the name of this thread to The Sea Dawg Show.

- - - Updated - - -

It is not sexual harassment merely because they are different sexes...it is sexual harassment because a bunch of drunk men attempted to invade the personal space of a woman. The context doesn't really matter to the definition of sexual harassment, but it is certainly made worse in this case by the fact that it was 2:00 am, which (I'm only speculating here) probably made the woman feel even more unsafe than if the men had tried to enter her car in broad daylight.
    And again.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Can we bring back the Marner thread? This is getting ridiculous
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

You have been typing out the same response over and over again in different wording. This isn’t going to change my opinion and it certainly isn’t going to make you correct. And now you are telling me what I think is and isn’t sexual harassment. May as well just change the name of this thread to The Sea Dawg Show.
    no, I'm afraid to say that it sounds like there's no way to enlighten your thinking on the matter. It is because of ignorant people like you that women don't feel as safe as they should in society. I'm not accusing you of sexually harassing anyone, but condoning or downplaying behavior displayed by Matthews is almost as big a problem as the behavior itself. Shame on you.

Maybe, just maybe though, some young kid will hear this story and next time he is drunk with his buddies, he won't try to intimidate a woman. Hopefully he will learn something from what has happened to Matthews and the world will be a little bit safer for our daughters, wives, sisters, etc.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Big Daddy

no, I'm afraid to say that it sounds like there's no way to enlighten your thinking on the matter. It is because of ignorant people like you that women don't feel as safe as they should in society. I'm not accusing you of sexually harassing anyone, but condoning or downplaying behavior displayed by Matthews is almost as big a problem as the behavior itself. Shame on you.

Maybe, just maybe though, some young kid will hear this story and next time he is drunk with his buddies, he won't try to intimidate a woman. Hopefully he will learn something from what has happened to Matthews and the world will be a little bit safer for our daughters, wives, sisters, etc.
    So now not only do I not understand what sexual harassment is but I am also the reason that women feel unsafe in this world. Didn’t know you had the ability to not only jump into my head and understand my thinking, but all females as well. Congratulations on being a complete tool. You are very quick to assume the worst of people and judge them, but shame on me right? Give your head a shake and come down off your high horse pal.

The Great One

So now not only do I not understand what sexual harassment is but I am also the reason that women feel unsafe in this world. Didn’t know you had the ability to not only jump into my head and understand my thinking, but all females as well. Congratulations on being a complete tool. You are very quick to assume the worst of people and judge them, but shame on me right? Give your head a shake and come down off your high horse pal.
    I am not assuming anything about you, but just stating the facts.

A - you said what Matthews did isn't sexual harassment, even though it is, so you clearly don't know what sexual harassment is
    B - you are downplaying Matthews' behavior, which people (mostly men) like you have been doing for generations, which makes women feel unsafe and afraid to come forward when something happens to them.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Do I need to drop Matthews from my fantasy team or I encourage sexual harassment by keeping him?
    Not sure here... I will rep
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson

Dobber Sports Titan

Sexual Harassment Definition:
    behavior characterized by the making of unwelcome and inappropriate sexual remarks or physical advances in a workplace or other professional or social situation.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Alright guys. This is your warning. Not going to lock the thread, but any more personal verbiage is going to result in further action.

We don't have to like Matthews' conduct, but it doesn't have to turn us into people calling eachother names on the internet either.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ACC90 View Post
    Do I need to drop Matthews from my fantasy team or I encourage sexual harassment by keeping him?
    Not sure here... I will rep
    The actual charge is disorderly conduct.

This thread has charged him with sexual harassment though.

I think you're safe holding him....

... for now
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4