Thread: Varlamov at 3rd overall?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Varlamov at 3rd overall?

Tough on the senses to imagine this keep but is it? I have him as a potential keeper and it would cost me a 3rd rounder. Not what id be looking for normally around the 3rd but is it because of lack luster years in Colorado? Should that be a deciding factor here knowing hes in a protected system with Trotz and the Isles? Is Trotz still going to deploy a 1A/1B situation here or does Varly get the oppurtunity to run full time? Lots of questions here and not enough answers (yet). Hoping to change that here and now. At first glance, I'm like, naaa.. can't get behind that but, maybe I'm not seeing this clearly.

I should probably mention my keepers as of this moment..
    Johansen at 8
    Kreider at 12
    Mantha at 16

Thought's?

Thanks
    19 Team Roto Cash League
    Salary Cap
    Keep 13-15 (Auction Draft)
    Start - 4C, 4 LW, 3RW, 6 D, 2G
    Amateur Draft
    12 Farm System
    7 Reserve

C - Chytil, Geekie, Pageau, Rasmussen, Drury
    LW - Macelli, Hoglander, Greig, Knies
    RW - Joseph, Barabanov, Tuch, Tippet, O'Connor
    D - Harley, Vlasic, Moser, Perunovich, Liljegren, Boqvist
    G - Gustavsson, Daccord

Farm - But, Lucius, Nazar, Snuggerud, Wallstedt, McGroarty, Lekkerimaki, Mateychuk, Savoie, Willander

Standard Point System
    G, A, +-, PIM's, GAA, Sv%

The Great One

Default Re: Varlamov at 3rd overall?

Can't say I'm thrilled with any of those keeper choices. As for Varlamov, it's so hard to say because we don't know what your alternatives are. Would be nice if you posted your other players and indicated what round pick they would cost you. Varlamov in the 3rd round seems way, way, way, way too high.

Also, your sig says 3 keepers and you are asking advice on a 4th keeper?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Can't say I'm thrilled with any of those keeper choices. As for Varlamov, it's so hard to say because we don't know what your alternatives are. Would be nice if you posted your other players and indicated what round pick they would cost you. Varlamov in the 3rd round seems way, way, way, way too high.

Also, your sig says 3 keepers and you are asking advice on a 4th keeper?

I really don't have any alternatives that I haven't listed already. In our league when you traded players they couldn't be kept next year so these are the only options worth mentioning. I agree it's very high. I am mentioning a 4th because I can still pull one out and replace him. Up until Thursday that is. I'm not thrilled with Kreider either as I don't think its gonna be a great year for him. Leaning Barrie at 5 but some here have advised against it. I personally don't think it's a bad keep myself but that's the only other option to speak of.
    19 Team Roto Cash League
    Salary Cap
    Amateur Draft
    12 Farm System
    7 Reserve

G - Gustavsson, Daccord

Farm - But, Lucius, Nazar, Snuggerud, Wallstedt, McGroarty, Lekkerimaki, Mateychuk, Savoie, Willander

Standard Point System

The Great One

I like Barrie at 5 more than Varly at 3. Or Kreider at 12. Or Johanssan at 8.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I like Barrie at 5 more than Varly at 3. Or Kreider at 12. Or Johanssan at 8.
    So do I. Who do you like more between Johansen at eight and Kreider at 12?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

First off I would definitely go Barrie at 5 over Kreider. As for Varly I see him at a more 65/35 split in his favor if that helps any at all. The 3rd Round pick is quite high for him, but there isn't as you say much choice.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Eleasha View Post
    First off I would definitely go Barrie at 5 over Kreider. As for Varly I see him at a more 65/35 split in his favor if that helps any at all. The 3rd Round pick is quite high for him, but there isn't as you say much choice.
    Agreed on Barrie. I could just keep Mantha, Johansen and Barrie. I don’t have to keep Varly but I would have to drop one of these guys to do it.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I see I accidentally titled this as 'Varly at 3rd overall'... My bad. Just to clarify, I meant third round, not 3rd overall. Does this change anything for anyone? Sorry about that..
    19 Team Roto Cash League
    Salary Cap
    Amateur Draft
    12 Farm System
    7 Reserve

G - Gustavsson, Daccord

Standard Point System

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Right handed shot View Post
    I see I accidentally titled this as 'Varly at 3rd overall'... My bad. Just to clarify, I meant third round, not 3rd overall. Does this change anything for anyone? Sorry about that..
    It changes my response from sarcastic to serious, honestly.

My response was going to be "3rd overall drafting from only Islanders, maybe he's worth that, but depends heavily on scoring."

The 3rd round isn't remotely as nuts as 3rd overall. However, you're in a keep 3. I seriously doubt there aren't going to be 36 better players than Varlamov to draft in your league. If we were talking about a 6th round pick or lower, maybe.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.