Thread: Whats the move guys!?

Dobber Sports Novice

Question Whats the move guys!?

Hey everyone!

This is my first post on the forum and I'm really excited to get more involved in the community. That being said I'll get right into it.
    I am in a dynasty league with 20 members. My roster composition is as follows:

Standard head to head points league.
    G=1, A=1, PP=1, GWG=1, BLK=.15, S=.20
    Goalies: W=1,GA=-.5, SV=.15, SHO = 1

3-Center
    6-Wingers
    5-D-men
    1-Util
    2-Goalies
    3-Bench

My roster is currently the following
    C1 - John Tavares
    C2 - Sam Steel
    C3- Cody Glass
    W1- Andrei Svechnikov
    W2-Jake DeBrusk
    W3-Mathew Tkachuk
    W4-Kevin LeBanc
    W5-Ryan Donato
    W6- OPEN SLOT
    D1- P.K. Subban
    D2- Sam Girard
    D3-Noah Hanafin
    D4-Travis Sanhiem
    D5- Jakob Chychrun
    UTIL- Henrik Borgstrom
    BN- Evan Bouchard
    G1- Carter Hart
    G2-Ilya Samsanov
    BN- OPEN SLOT
    BN-OPEN SLOT
    I also have draft picks #1,#3, & #7.

The players available in our draft are rookies (2019 draft) as well as UFA expiry status players during the 2019 summer.

Let me know your thoughts on who I should be taking with those picks. My thoughts are:

1. Makar - Will go at 2 if I do not take him 1. If you think I should pass on him let me know who you would take as a replacement and why?

3. Hughes or Kakko - I was told Panarin or Kakko will go 2. Who should I take if Kakko and Hughes are both available? or should i go another direction entirely?

7. Stone or Wheeler. Not as sure what I am going to do with this pick but curious to know everyones thoughts

Some available guys are.

Hughes
    Makar
    Kakko
    Wheeler
    Panarin
    Seguin
    Duchene
    Stone
    Couture
    Karlsson
    Hayes
    Skinner
    Bobrovsky
    Nyquist

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Whats the move guys!?

First... welcome to the forums!!

You have a super young team. You're not competing this or next year by the looks of it. In a league of 20tms. I'd continue to build on that.

I'd take Makar at 1 and whoever is left at #3 between kakko/hughes.

At #7 I'd take the BPA - even if that's Bob. And look to cash in on trading said player later in the year.
    In a big league like this acquiring young high end assets while others compete is a strong long term strategy.

**as long as you don't get stuck in the cycle. IE: In 2 years trade Svech for more 1sts. **

When your team takes off... it'll take off and become a hard team for others to keep up with.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Star

At the outset, it looks like your team is closer to building than to contending. How long do you get to keep players? Based on league history, how easy is it to turn established players into younger studs? As you have pick 1 and there are guys who could surely help a contender, you may want to first see if you can work a deal for a high-end youngster. Someone who is a goalie away from a title would surely pay for Bobrovsky.

All of that said, barring a sign-and-trade to a contender, I'd go J. Hughes 1, as goals have equal value to assists and you get bonus points for power play scoring. He has the highest ceiling for point production of those listed and should be a monster PP producer at some point. Then, presuming Makar is gone, Kakko or Bobrovsky, as you need a 2nd active goalie and/or he seems the most in-demand veteran asset. Then Panarin at 5 if he is there.

As to Wheeler/Stone, it depends on how long your contracts are. Wheeler's age would make me not want to commit to him if contract length is 4-5 years. Because you'll eventually lose him to retirement or cut him.

Dobber Sports Novice

Hey, Thanks for the reply!

Yes the league was started last season and while everyone was trying to scramble to be the slightly better team year 1 I decided to go for the long term approach.

Thanks for your opinions on who I should take. I was considering taking Wheeler at 7, although he might repeat this season (or maybe not) it might get harder to move him based on age.
    If I take Stone, I'm not sure his ceiling is as high as others available. Bobrovsky might be a good selection however I tried to trade Varlamov for over half the season last year and I couldn't seem to draw any interest.

Between Stone and Skinner who gets the nod?

Dobber Sports Novice

Hey, thanks for the response!

So we keep the players for the duration of their contract. I believe wheeler is 4 years? I am for sure a rebuilder right now and I don't even plan on being anything more than that this coming season.

My logic is to go young once again this year 1. Makar 2. either panarin or kakko (i was told) 3. Hughes and then whoever at 7.

This will set me back again next year, probably won't make playoffs but then if I can move an asset with a pick (presumably bottom 5) next year at the draft I could be looking at landing lafferniere or hall

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

stone by far imo

Dobber Sports Novice

I'm thinking thats the long term option, I agree

Dobber Sports Star

With all due respect to Semyon, trading him or trading Bobrovsky is like comparing apples to vodka. Bob might be the 2nd best goalie in fantasy hockey, while Varlamov is a guy that people like to find reasons to rebuff.

I'd take Stone. Stone seems more dependable than Skinner. Skinner's best single season will probably eclipse Stone's best single season, but Stone's next 4 years should be better than Skinner's.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

#1. Do not pass on Makar. Get him.
    #2. I would get Hughes.
    #3. I would go with Mark Stone.
    12 Team H2H League
    G: Braden Holtby-Was, Matt Murray- Pit, Devan Dubnyk- Min
    D: Victor Hedman- TB, Dougie Hamilton- Car, Josh Morrissey- Wpg, Charlie McAvoy- Bos, Rasmus Ristolainen- Buf
    W: Artemi Panarin- NYR, Vladimir Tarasenko- Stl, Viktor Arvidsson- Nsh, Ondrej Kase- Ana, Jesper Bratt- NJ
    C: Nathan MAckinnon- Col, William Karlsson- Veg, Matthew Barzal- NYI

Dobber Sports Novice

I agree with you on the goalie situation, probably is quite a bit different.

I would agree with you there as-well i'm not sure stone has as much upside due to his style of play but it also makes him more dependable as you had said

Dobber Sports Novice

Solid!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
    #1. Do not pass on Makar. Get him.
    #2. I would get Hughes.
    #3. I would go with Mark Stone.
    I'm good with this because you get the D you need, you get Hughes or fall back on Kakko at 3, and then add Stone or Wheeler later. If you can trade them for a young star do it, otherwise they'll still be productive in a year or two when you're starting to turn the corner.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)