Thread: Your Thoughts: Goalies Worth Keeping in My League? REP Given

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Your Thoughts: Goalies Worth Keeping in My League? REP Given

For the team in my sig, I'm really torn on whether to keep Andersen or try to trade him. But more big picture, I am trying to decide if it's EVER worth it to keep a goalie with my league setup. A goalie with 40 wins and 6 shutouts (Vasilevskiy?) would get 86 points, whereas a goalie with 30 wins and 3 shutouts (Hart? Binnington? Dubnyk?) would get 63 points.

We've only got ONE active goalie slot, and teams generally draft two goalies. In the past I've gotten away (barely) with two so-so goalies by using the Same Night Tool to choose ones who aren't in each other's way often. I can't decide if I think it's worth it to keep a top goalie like Vas or Andersen, or just keep (or trade for, in this case) a good winger instead and let Andersen go. Last year I got stuck with Smith and Allen, haha. It was rough.

Do you guys think, in this league, that you'd prefer to keep one top goalie and snag a cheap one in a late round to fill around the edges using the Same Night Tool? Or is it better to go ALL skaters instead for keepers? Thanks for your insights!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Your Thoughts: Goalies Worth Keeping in My League? REP Given

Anderson is one of the few goalies I would consider keeping here, and you're not having to drop a star because of it. This season, I would keep Andersen.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Generally it looks like goalies are not all that valuable so few should be kept. If you had a better winger option to keep I would be hesitant. Given you don't have a better skater option I'd be keeping Andersen however. What type of wingers could you get for Andersen?
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Andersen is one of the best fantasy keeper goalies, and I'd likely keep him due to the fact that you have a solid keeper core, and nobody that stands out to keep over him.

Think of him as a guy who frees up your first round pick to take the best skater.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Andersen is one of the best fantasy keeper goalies, and I'd likely keep him due to the fact that you have a solid keeper core, and nobody that stands out to keep over him.

Think of him as a guy who frees up your first round pick to take the best skater.
    Thanks for this perspective - that makes sense to me. The rest of my team (non-keepers) looks crappy right now because I traded all my non-keepers for pick upgrades. Then I was wondering if I should have kept someone else. But it’s nice for once to not be going into the draft needing to get my goaltending figured out quick, and usually wasting a couple higher-than-necessary picks because I’ve got no backup plan. At least having Andersen now let’s me just focus on other needs, like you mentioned.

REP left for all!
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Demi-God

OP has got his league figured out.

1st key thing - Don't think of goalie in any special way.
    You have a bunch of roster spots, players in those roster spots contribute towards your team's points.
    It doesn't matter whether it is a F, D, or G.

2nd key thing - You do have roster flexibility restrictions.
    The more positions you have, the more flexibility exists to AVOID "Same Night Play".
    Yes, if you use the Same Night Tool, you'll find that with a start 1position (say, 1 goalie), other goalies are going to have 20-30 overlaps.
    That's not great... you are basically FORCED to bench 20/82th of starts (25%).

So, whereas your first EXTRA forward may only conflict with your first 9F (since dual elig in play) maybe 8/82 gp (10%).

So a comparison of F10 vs. G2 would be the forward's rate (say 70pts/season x 90%) vs. goalie's rate (say 80pts/season x 75%).
    You can see that the lower scoring forward, with less conflicts, ends up higher (63pts) than the higher scoring 2nd goalie with more conflicts (60pts).

But... you also want to "micro-manage" this... and stream in a G2 when you can for short-term results.

Summary:
    The absolute top goalies, if they are top scorers, are still keepers.
    You DO want to keep whoever gives you highest points at any given slot, over course of season.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks for this! Makes a lot of sense. I've never kept a goalie before, but now with so many teams doing a time-share, a top team with a workhorse goalie might be worth a keep. I'll keep him this year, then pick a goalie with one of my very last picks that would not conflict too often. This year the two teams that don't conflict with the Leafs much are unfortunately the Ducks and Rangers, haha. Oh well, at least I won't have much competition to draft Gibson or Lundy! And being able now to focus on just wingers in my first few rounds (good centers are available late) will be a nice change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    OP has got his league figured out.

1st key thing - Don't think of goalie in any special way.
    You have a bunch of roster spots, players in those roster spots contribute towards your team's points.
    It doesn't matter whether it is a F, D, or G.

2nd key thing - You do have roster flexibility restrictions.
    The more positions you have, the more flexibility exists to AVOID "Same Night Play".
    Yes, if you use the Same Night Tool, you'll find that with a start 1position (say, 1 goalie), other goalies are going to have 20-30 overlaps.
    That's not great... you are basically FORCED to bench 20/82th of starts (25%).

So, whereas your first EXTRA forward may only conflict with your first 9F (since dual elig in play) maybe 8/82 gp (10%).

So a comparison of F10 vs. G2 would be the forward's rate (say 70pts/season x 90%) vs. goalie's rate (say 80pts/season x 75%).
    You can see that the lower scoring forward, with less conflicts, ends up higher (63pts) than the higher scoring 2nd goalie with more conflicts (60pts).

But... you also want to "micro-manage" this... and stream in a G2 when you can for short-term results.

Summary:
    The absolute top goalies, if they are top scorers, are still keepers.
    You DO want to keep whoever gives you highest points at any given slot, over course of season.
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Pro

After this chat with you guys, I today traded Andersen for Jones to get a 7th rounder turned to a fourth. I've got a load of high picks now which is pretty much how I win this league, and the two goalies were projected to get roughly the same number of wins this year. I don't plan to keep a goalie in future seasons, so didn't mind the slight downgrade to Jones for this year.
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Hmm. I'd look to deal Jones for a skater - I think he is certainly not elite enough to bother keeping.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Agreed. I’m looking into that now. Fills a goalie spot for me with a decent amount of wins if need be, but if I can swap out for a good skater I just might. I need 2 goalies regardless and have lots of high picks with good skaters available, so if I can’t trade him that’s probably okay too. Wouldn’t be a keeper in future years.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Hmm. I'd look to deal Jones for a skater - I think he is certainly not elite enough to bother keeping.
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

G - Vasilevskiy
    B -

Dobber Sports Prodigy

depends what you can trade him for this season. if somebody wants to give you top end talent move him. going forward i typically wouldnt keep a goalie since there isnt a huge point margin and there should always be somebody available to pick up.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CraigyB View Post
    depends what you can trade him for this season. if somebody wants to give you top end talent move him. going forward i typically wouldnt keep a goalie since there isnt a huge point margin and there should always be somebody available to pick up.
    Agreed. I'll keep him this year, but not going forward. Or any goalie, for that matter.
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -