Thread: Zibs, Rielly, 4th, for Meier, Theodore, 1st

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Zibs, Rielly, 4th, for Meier, Theodore, 1st

League in sig.

I'm trying to do a quick rebuild, and have been trading players and some of this year's redraft picks for next year's picks.

So far I've acquired 3 extra first round picks next year. It's a combined entry and redraft. For reference, our first round this year has gone:
    Hughes, Kakko, Bergeron, Barrie, Bishop, Trouba, Stone, Monahan, Makar, Gusev, Radulov, Teravainen

The offer on the table is tempting. I've got 3 centers, and I don't really want to keep 3 next year. I'm really high on Meier, and I think Theodore could break out. Plus I nail down a 5th 1st rounder. Rielly's a great player, though loses a bit of value in our league with hits/pim/blocks. He also ought to regress a bit. This particular 1st is going to have low odds at 1st oa, as the team I'm talking to is top 5 in the league. I'll have my 1st (which ought to be towards 1st oa, a couple other firsts of lower to mid-range teams, and one from a top 5 contender. The 2020 draft is looking strong, and 1st rounders will jumpstart my rebuild so that I'm probably competitive in 20-21, and a favorite by 21-22 with reasonable lottery results. However, I don't want to get caught up in selling my entire team for lottery tickets.

What I like - moving a C for value. Picking up Meier, who could be excellent in this league. Furthering my draft capital next year.
    What I don't - giving up too much value, and particularly a star in Rielly

Should I pull the trigger?
    Yahoo 12-team H2H partial keeper league (keep 7 vets + 3 prospects (p = skater <201 gp; goalie < 101gp))

G,A,P,PIM,+/-,PPP,SOG,FW,hits, blocks, W,GAA,SV%,Saves
    Start 3/3/3/5/2

C: Kopitar, P. Suter, Carlsson (p), Lundell (p), Norris
    LW: B. Tkachuk, Stutzle (c), Colton (c), Ehlers
    RW: Rantanen, Caufield (lw), Svechnikov (lw), Foegele (lw)
    D: Dahlin, Andersson, Chychrun, Montour, Sanheim, Matheson, Faber (p)
    G: Talbot, Forsberg, Daws (p), Wolf (p, NA)
    IR: Fantilli, Sergachev, Jeannot, Ingram
    NA: Levi

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Zibs, Rielly, 4th, for Meier, Theodore, 1st

I don't like it, because if Reilly loses multicat value, then Theodore loses more. C position aside, I like Zibs over Meier too. And a late first doesn't make up the difference. I think you're gtting too into your own head HAVING to own first round picks, that you're willing to lose a trade or two for them. I think you'll get more for Zibs and Reilly individually if you were to deal them.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm not going for this one. You already have 3 picks next year; Zibs is 26 and Rielly is 25. The pick will be low as you mentioned and a Theodore breakout will probably be 40-50 points (i'm a big believer in him this year BTW) which is nowhere close to Rielly. Instead, I'd wait for something better (it will come along) or just move the lowest 1st of the 3 you have next year for that winger you covet. You can even throw in Zibs; just don't move Rielly unless you absolutely have to.

Just my 2 cents.

top teams become and remain top teams cause they dangle first round picks... I don't like this at all personally . Positional needs aside, Zibby >= Meier, Reilly>>Theodore , you win the pick battle though.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    League in sig.

I'm trying to do a quick rebuild, and have been trading players and some of this year's redraft picks for next year's picks.

So far I've acquired 3 extra first round picks next year. It's a combined entry and redraft. For reference, our first round this year has gone:
    Hughes, Kakko, Bergeron, Barrie, Bishop, Trouba, Stone, Monahan, Makar, Gusev, Radulov, Teravainen

The offer on the table is tempting. I've got 3 centers, and I don't really want to keep 3 next year. I'm really high on Meier, and I think Theodore could break out. Plus I nail down a 5th 1st rounder. Rielly's a great player, though loses a bit of value in our league with hits/pim/blocks. He also ought to regress a bit. This particular 1st is going to have low odds at 1st oa, as the team I'm talking to is top 5 in the league. I'll have my 1st (which ought to be towards 1st oa, a couple other firsts of lower to mid-range teams, and one from a top 5 contender. The 2020 draft is looking strong, and 1st rounders will jumpstart my rebuild so that I'm probably competitive in 20-21, and a favorite by 21-22 with reasonable lottery results. However, I don't want to get caught up in selling my entire team for lottery tickets.

What I like - moving a C for value. Picking up Meier, who could be excellent in this league. Furthering my draft capital next year.
    What I don't - giving up too much value, and particularly a star in Rielly

Should I pull the trigger?
    I think you're close to doing that here.
    If that 1st is outside of the top 5 in next years draft then I'd really want to pass.
    Even though I would want to pass anyway.
    I'd rather have Zibs than Couts in your set up for one. I'd try to swap those C's out in the deal.
    Two, Rielly's a full tier, if not 2-3 above Theodore.

In a keep 7 - you really don't need to rebuild. Spend the extra energy/time into studying who's available in the draft. Being able to gleam good picks from 4th round on will make you immediately competitive.
    So many teams make drafting mistakes in re-drafts.
    Just think a couple years ago - teams drafted Okposo/Ladd over Zibs and Couts (two years ago Couts went in the 16th round of my re-draft in a keep-12).

When you can only keep 7. There's only so many 1st rounders worth trading for. There comes a point you're trading for one year rentals.

This trade would give you a 4th 1st, arguably a wash with Meier - solely based on positional flexibility - but a massive downgrade on D.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Thanks, I appreciate the talk down from the cliff. Here's part of my thought process:

The extra first next year gives me a 3-8% better chance of landing first oa. Pretty negligible. That said, even if it's late it allows me to grab a pretty good player that'll give me a shot at the title next year. For example, I drafted 9th overall in last year's redraft. In my experience, talent drops off considerably in the 2nd round in this league.

Personally I prefer Meier over Zibs, so we differ there. The final thing is that moving talent out now to consolidate talent at next year's draft improves my own chances at the first overall pick. The only kind of 'tanking' that is legit.
    Yahoo 12-team H2H partial keeper league (keep 7 vets + 3 prospects (p = skater <201 gp; goalie < 101gp))

G,A,P,PIM,+/-,PPP,SOG,FW,hits, blocks, W,GAA,SV%,Saves
    Start 3/3/3/5/2

C: Kopitar, P. Suter, Carlsson (p), Lundell (p), Norris
    LW: B. Tkachuk, Stutzle (c), Colton (c), Ehlers
    RW: Rantanen, Caufield (lw), Svechnikov (lw), Foegele (lw)
    D: Dahlin, Andersson, Chychrun, Montour, Sanheim, Matheson, Faber (p)
    G: Talbot, Forsberg, Daws (p), Wolf (p, NA)
    IR: Fantilli, Sergachev, Jeannot, Ingram
    NA: Levi

Dobber Sports Wizard

i really like Meier, but this is a NO
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

Don't do the deal - the way LV is coached it will be difficult for any defenseman to put up big numbers, and Rielly is superb. Plus, I happen to think Zibs will EXPLODE this season. Nothing against Meier, whom I also believe is poised to take the next step, but the price is not right.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/