Thread: Rinne vs Markstrom next season

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Rinne vs Markstrom next season

Hey,

I'm running into a conundrum for my goalie situation next year (and long term). I own Rinne right now and I think he's got one last year of good hockey in him before Saaros takes over. Markstrom is on the market for a cheap price I expect but I only have room for one of them. I also own Demko, so acquiring Markstrom would at least mean I get the starts in VAN, although I don't know how many wins they can get next year.....

My last option is to draft a third goalie with Schneider and goalies in tandem situation (ex. Talbot, Koskinen,etc...) being the most enticing of the bunch.

It's for the second league in sig, pts for goalies are W (7 points), SO (7), Saves (0.2), GA (-1).

Should I acquire Markstrom?

Thanks for all inputs
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Rinne vs Markstrom next season

I think this year will be almost split starts (Rinne/Saros), so yes, I would see about getting Markstrom... Even if that ends up just being a place holder for Demko. Demko won't take too much this season, but "should" start to tap into Markstrom's playing time a lot more next season... Unless this plays out exactly like when Quick was holding Bernier's spot that he never took because Quick got confident and good just as LA was getting good... If Markstrom plays well this year, and young VAN creeps closer to playoffs, it will soon be impossible to take the nets away from Markstrom. Timing is EVERYTHING.

Big Daddy

Seems like you have the right idea of each team’s situation and you are being proactive in trying to find the right guy. I would say it all depends if you are competing for a championship or not.

Championship contender - Rinne
    Playoff contender or rebuild - Markstrom

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Seems like you have the right idea of each team’s situation and you are being proactive in trying to find the right guy. I would say it all depends if you are competing for a championship or not.

Championship contender - Rinne
    Playoff contender or rebuild - Markstrom
    Great that's also what I had in mind. Thanks to you both, I rep'ed
    G Shesterkin Samsonov

Dobber Sports Jedi

The follow up question - what could you get for Rinne? or is he a drop?
    Counter to that - Can you acquire Saros?

What's the price on Markstrom?
    He's a real wildcard this year. Is he a .918 goalie now? Will he re-sign in Van? Is Van actually better?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

if Markstrom plays as he did last year i dont think it matters if he resigns or not..there are few other teams that could use his services...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So I went ahead and acquired Markstrom for a 4th rd (which is not too expensive for me since I have a good draft). Rinne is likely going to be dropped unless I can have a late rounder for him. Saaros owner made it clear he was untouchable unfortunately.

My reasoning here is I was running the risk of 1) Rinne losing the starting gig down the road this year (I still predict he will be better than Markstrom this year, but you never know what could happen) and 2) Markstrom re-signing would jeopardize my strategy with Demko. So having Demko and Markstrom at least mean I have the starting G of VAN for the future. Now lets hope they can win some games hahahah

I did a lot of research on Markstrom and here's the most informative piece for those who are interested (it's behind TheAthletic's paywall): https://theathletic.com/1128713/2019...-quality-no-1/
    Basically the article points out that Markstrom's historical comparables usually only fare well for some years before dropping out, but observers have noted that Markstrom turned a corner this year regarding his technical game. My hope is that he does well but moves on after this season for a starting role in another team (Calgary?).

Overall I'm hoping it pans out well for me next year, and I'm aware that Rinne could have been the better option of the bunch this year, but at least I cut on the uncertainty of the situation.
    G Shesterkin Samsonov