Thread: Ovechkin for Gustafsson and a 3rd

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Ovechkin for Gustafsson and a 3rd

So my league is 10 team points only, G=1, A=1, W=1.5, SO=2 . Keep 6 players.

Due to an aggressive attempt to beef up and contend with the top team in the playoffs last year (fell just short unfortunately), I have no 2-6th round picks in the upcoming draft. My current keepers are: Crosby, Wheeler, Aho, Ovechkin, Krug, Vasilevski

I have an offer on the table for Ovechkin where I would receive Erik Gustafsson and a guys 3rd round pick.

Should I shop Ovi for more and look for multiple picks or is this a good deal for me? I figure the early picks I'm missing are going to hurt me most at D as most guys only keep 1 or two and they all go relatively early. This would allow me to have 2 good D and recoup at least 1 pick. If I traded Ovi for straight points I would replace him with Elias Lindholm or possibly Shayne Gostisbehere.

Help!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Ovechkin for Gustafsson and a 3rd

Welcome to the forums!
    Biggest question from me is what kind of picks could you get if you traded Ovie for just picks? If it's much better than a 3rd, I would take the pick return and then keep Lindholm.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

So I ended up doing Ovechkin and a 10 (with 60 keepers this player will fall in the 150-160th rank in league scoring, minus some goaltenders, and will basically be inconsequential IMO) for Gustafsson and a 2nd. Basically all my other options had run out as other teams had their keepers but I am pretty happy with the return either way. I think Gus will have a great year again (contract year as well as adv. stats showing he's more than just luck) and I recoup a top 20 drafted player for our pool as well as bolster my defeense. I'll probably look to draft another D 1st round and then If need be later in the season trade one for some more depth scoring, as there is ALWAYS a market for D men in our league. We'll see how it pans out!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Also hanks for the welcome! I've been a daily website reader and a forum lurker for a few years now, looking forward to utilizing you guys all year!

Dobber Sports Jedi

In a points only, I don't mind this deal... should be good value in the 2nd round of your draft as well.

You seem to have gotten a little trigger happy though. Only giving 45min for responses before accepting the deal. Ideally, you'll let several members respond & weigh the advice given before accepting. Obviously, some deals are no brainers. Those we probably won't ever know about. If you're in need of advice ASAP - add that into the title of your thread or just type bump - to push it back to the top of the threads to refresh it for everyone.

and welcome to the forums
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the advice! I'm excite to be a part of this community officially now! There was one other guy who was in on Ovechkin in my league and he wasn't willing to give up much for him. I may have gotten a 2 and a 5 if I was lucky. To be honest I was on the fence about the third rounder but once I was offered the 2nd I had to take it and was pretty sure anyways. Kind of just looking for assurance here but I couldn't wait too long lol. I like to give trades ample thought and this has been brewing for about a week, I was just late on the forum. Hope your draft(s) go well!