Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Team In Free Agency

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Best Team In Free Agency

So who does everyone feel did the best in free agency to remold their squad for the upcoming season? My vote goes to the Colorado Avalanche. I feel they were the savviest of the bunch not overpaying for anything yet really addressing their top heavy concerns in one summer to now bolster what on paper seems a very well rounded four line roster. Kadri and Burakovsky get a new lease on life and should be in line for second line duty, Donskoi, one of the more underrated players if you ask me, on a third line with Compher sounds quite solid, and Bellemare on the fourth line is nice too. Sure questions will arise on defense after Barrie's departure but Makar looks great and other tantalizing young blue liners in the system to showcase now. If Grubauer can replicate last season's end with his breakout play this team seems in line for a great year IMO. Thoughts?
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Administrator

Default Re: Best Team In Free Agency

July 1st is one of the NHL's full moon days that makes GMs act stupid. Most of the teams that did nothing or very little end up being winners in free agency.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    July 1st is one of the NHL's full moon days that makes GMs act stupid. Most of the teams that did nothing or very little end up being winners in free agency.
    this is indeed true so I guess the convoy will have to revolve around those that in fact made moves.
    Girouxsalem

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

Trocheck,Kempe

Dobber Sports Giant

In terms of signing free agents, Florida. It's tough to beat the impact of signing Bobrovsky, and adding guys like Connolly and Stralman should have a positive impact on their lineup.

In terms of overall improvement, New Jersey, New York Rangers, and dark horse pick for Buffalo with their D improvements.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    In terms of signing free agents, Florida. It's tough to beat the impact of signing Bobrovsky, and adding guys like Connolly and Stralman should have a positive impact on their lineup.

In terms of overall improvement, New Jersey, New York Rangers, and dark horse pick for Buffalo with their D improvements.
    I honestly hate all the moves my Rangers made, classic James Dolan impatience.
    Girouxsalem

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars

Trocheck,Kempe

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    I honestly hate all the moves my Rangers made, classic James Dolan impatience.
    I think Trouba is overpaid by a little bit, and Panarin I could go either way due to his age / contract, but it's hard not to like the on-ice impact of adding those guys plus Kakko, Kravtsov, Shesterkin, etc.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Jedi

Well... are we including trades in evaluating the best team in free agency? or just UFA signings?

If it's just UFA signings then

Dallas needs attention Pavelski 3yrs 7m per; Perry 1yr; Sekera 1yr... some real solid vets added at little to no risk and most importantly - no term

Florida def. is up there with Bob (that term though!!); Stralman; Connolly -- I think the back end of that Bob deal will bite them in the ass. Like Luongo didn't teach them ANYTHING.

Other than those two teams.. most teams made their biggest improvements via trade

You could include TB as they addressed depth - Schenn, McEhlhinny, Wedgewood, Fucale
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Well... are we including trades in evaluating the best team in free agency? or just UFA signings?

If it's just UFA signings then

Dallas needs attention Pavelski 3yrs 7m per; Perry 1yr; Sekera 1yr... some real solid vets added at little to no risk and most importantly - no term

Florida def. is up there with Bob (that term though!!); Stralman; Connolly -- I think the back end of that Bob deal will bite them in the ass. Like Luongo didn't teach them ANYTHING.

Other than those two teams.. most teams made their biggest improvements via trade

You could include TB as they addressed depth - Schenn, McEhlhinny, Wedgewood, Fucale
    I think Trouba is overpaid by a little bit, and Panarin I could go either way due to his age / contract, but it's hard not to like the on-ice impact of adding those guys plus Kakko, Kravtsov, Shesterkin, etc.
    trades and free agents sure.

Rangers finally started a rebuild the right way and then when the Knicks lost out on high end talent Dolan basically forced them to go out and sign star players. Trouba I understand but for me I will always say look at Shattenkirk should we really revisit this avenue. Panarin although good, nobody except a first line scoring center should be making anywhere close to 11 mil IMO so he will need to score 90 plus points every year for me to call that deal a success which it will not be because Manhattan is a graveyard for free agents. I just wish they would have gone one year with what they have in the farm to see if any of them can flourish right off the bat rather than rush which I feel has happened.
    Girouxsalem

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars

Trocheck,Kempe

Dobber Sports Genius

Vancouver added Tyler Myers, Michael Ferland, and Jordie Benn. They also re-signed Alex Edler right before he hit UFA. The Canucks also added depth in Oscar Fantenburg and Tyler Motte.

I know that the Canucks get shit on often, but it would be hard to argue that these signings do not improve the team (on-ice).
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Vancouver added Tyler Myers, Michael Ferland, and Jordie Benn. They also re-signed Alex Edler right before he hit UFA. The Canucks also added depth in Oscar Fantenburg and Tyler Motte.

I know that the Canucks get shit on often, but it would be hard to argue that these signings do not improve the team (on-ice).

absolutely, the Canucks are second in my book Moses for best summer.
    Girouxsalem

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars

Trocheck,Kempe

Dobber Sports Jedi

Once you add in trades... The Devils - PK for peanuts - Gusev for more corn nuts.. I mean? a top pair Dman & a top 6 winger with 1st line up side for 2 2nds & 2 3rds.. YIKES! Simmonds on a nice show me deal.. been a nice month for Devils fans

Might be considered homeristic, but the Leafs have been savvy this offseason - biggest need top 4 D - check. Added some vet leadership - Spezza. Solid C replacement for Kadri - Kerfoot. Added some extra D depth while clearing more cap space - Ceci & Harpur.
    All moves inched them closer to being able to re-sign Marner. Then signed 6F 1D on minimum contracts for depth insurance & boost Marlies for another Calder Cup run.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think it depends on the role Myers is going to play. He is a pretty good offensive player, but his defensive impacts are just atrocious and if he's playing high-leverage minutes I'm not sure how much of an improvement that really is. Especially considering his cap hit, it sure seems like he's about to be featured in the top-four and that may not go so well. I like the Edler contract, and the Ferland signing a lot though. The Miller trade wasn't exactly a thrilling move, giving up a potentially high draft selection, but they solidified their top six in the process.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
    Pearson-Horvat-Ferland

Then they've got guys like Baertschi, Gaudette, Virtanen, Leivo, Goldobin, Sutter, and Roussell in the bottom six. The roster is certainly much improved on paper.

Dobber Sports Genius

I think it depends on the role Myers is going to play. He is a pretty good offensive player, but his defensive impacts are just atrocious and if he's playing high-leverage minutes I'm not sure how much of an improvement that really is. Especially considering his cap hit, it sure seems like he's about to be featured in the top-four and that may not go so well. I like the Edler contract, and the Ferland signing a lot though. The Miller trade wasn't exactly a thrilling move, giving up a potentially high draft selection, but they solidified their top six in the process.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
    Pearson-Horvat-Ferland

Then they've got guys like Baertschi, Gaudette, Virtanen, Leivo, Goldobin, Sutter, and Roussell in the bottom six. The roster is certainly much improved on paper.
    Tyler Myers has to certainly be considered an upgrade on all of Pouliot, Del Zotto, Hutton, Schenn, Biega, and Gudbranson. That is 6 defenceman that played for the Canucks last year and 5(!) that were on the opening night roster. (Oi Vey what an ugly group. LOL)
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Giant

Tyler Myers has to certainly be considered an upgrade on all of Pouliot, Del Zotto, Hutton, Schenn, Biega, and Gudbranson. That is 6 defenceman that played for the Canucks last year and 5(!) that were on the opening night roster. (Oi Vey what an ugly group. LOL)
    I kind of like Biega as a bottom-pair option, and Gudbranson wasn't terrible in limited minutes with Pittsburgh, but it's hard to argue that Myers isn't an improvement over those guys. It's just the high price tag.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
    Pearson-Horvat-Ferland

Greene likes Baertchi with Horvat - likely Pearson gets 3rd line duties with (HOPEFULLY) Gaudette & Virtanen.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. A big key for Van taking a big step forward is Virtanen stepping into a legit top 6 role. When he flips spots with Ferland from 3rd to 2nd line. This team will go upwards in the standings.

Neither Pearson or Ferland truly deserve top 6 min at 5x5. Both are better suited for 3rd line duties.

As long as Edler and Tanev stay healthy and on the ice - Myers will be fine.
    The problem that is Vancouver (and continues to be) They won't stay healthy. That most likely will leave Myers exposed. They don't have enough depth from #4 down to properly support Myers.
    They would need 2nd half Stecher for a full season and Biega to be for real to have any hope in hell of surviving another season of 20-30 games missed by each of Edler & Tanev.
    Tryamkin should be back for 20-21 -- that will help immensely.

I realize there's Quinn Hughes too, but he needs to be sheltered. That can only be done if their 2 best Dmen are on the ice.