Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: [TRADE] Hawks send Jokiharju to Buffalo for Alex Nylander

Mark McNeill - Klefbom
    Phillip Danault
    Teuvo Teravainen - Vasilevsky
    Ryan Hartman
    Nick Schmaltz - Fabbri, Kapanen
    Henri Jokiharju - next pick Tolvanen, Kostin

Those are the only drafts where a player picked directly after the Hawks pick has amounted to really anything yet.

Schmaltz - a good pick
    Teravainen was the right pick. Pretty sure TB shocked people grabing Vasil there right after.. So in proper context.. he wouldn't have been on Chi's board in the 1st round
    Jokiharju - Tolvanen - built a hype train following the draft, but hasn't proven anything yet that could say Chi missed there.

All in all... Chi's drafted well... other than McNeil
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Last year when the Athletic rated NHL teams for their drafting over the previous decade the Hawks were in the middle of the pack BUT it didn't take into account for the fact that they drafted so low for a number of years. Plus, it didn't count Debrincat's draft class. Overall, fans are generally satisfied with the Hawks drafting and most feel that they have done a good over the years. Debrincat, Saad, Teravainen, Schmaltz, Danault, Jokiharju, Mitchell, and Kurashev are the picks that stand out.

Bowman is taking a lot of heat in Chicago. This Jokiharju trade and the Dach pick need to work out for him. If Jokiharju or Byram become star players the pitchforks will be out.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As a Blackhawks fan, I was not amused at first word of this. But honestly, after thinking about it, i don't mind it as much. The Blackhawks lost faith in Joki. Buffalo lost it in Nylander. I think both teams are banking on a change of scenery to help these players. I think on paper Buffalo won. Chicago is banking on another Strome resurrection in Nylander. Big gamble, but if it works, how will people view this trade? I don't understand Buffalo either. They have way too many RH Dmen now, unless someone is on the way out. Weird trade from both sides imo.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Surprised at this, Chi seemed high on Joki when they had Kane and Toews select him at the draft. Oh well, makes it easier to drop him with that blockade of experienced D men in front of him now.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
    As a Blackhawks fan, I was not amused at first word of this. But honestly, after thinking about it, i don't mind it as much. The Blackhawks lost faith in Joki. Buffalo lost it in Nylander. I think both teams are banking on a change of scenery to help these players. I think on paper Buffalo won. Chicago is banking on another Strome resurrection in Nylander. Big gamble, but if it works, how will people view this trade? I don't understand Buffalo either. They have way too many RH Dmen now, unless someone is on the way out. Weird trade from both sides imo.
    For the record, Strome is due for some regression next season as he had the highest on-ice Sh% in the league. He's a good player, and Chicago took a nice gamble to grab him -- but let's not get ahead of ourselves. That said, Nylander isn't on the same level as Strome, who actually produced at a very high rate during his age-21 season in the AHL.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Administrator

IMO losing faith in someone that quickly when he's just 20 and had been showing some good signs is extremely shortsighted

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    For the record, Strome is due for some regression next season as he had the highest on-ice Sh% in the league. He's a good player, and Chicago took a nice gamble to grab him -- but let's not get ahead of ourselves. That said, Nylander isn't on the same level as Strome, who actually produced at a very high rate during his age-21 season in the AHL.
    I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    IMO losing faith in someone that quickly when he's just 20 and had been showing some good signs is extremely shortsighted
    This is true. But Chicago has a logjam. Although BUF does as well. But still no reason to trade someone away.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    https://twitter.com/scottiekrinch/st...931219970?s=19

Stan Bowman has now traded every one of his 1st round picks from 2011-2017:

Mark McNeill
    Phillip Danault
    Teuvo Teravainen
    Ryan Hartman
    Nick Schmaltz
    Henri Jokiharju
    *Sorry, realized Beaudin was chosen in 2018 and you said 2011-2017.*

Not EVERY one. They still have Beaudin who they chose with the pick acquired in the Hartman deal. Here's how it shakes out:

McNeill + 4th (2017 cond, Mascherin)--> Oduya (15 games)
    Danault + 2nd (2018, Romanov) --> Fleischmann (19 games), Weise (15 games)
    Teravainen + Bickell --> 2nd (2016, Kayumov), 3rd (2017, Altybarmakyan)
    Hartman + 5th (2018, Stastney) --> Ejdsell, 1st (2018, Beaudin), 4th (2018, Kurashev)
    Schmaltz --> Strome, Perlini
    Jokiharju --> A. Nylander

I've always thought Bowman was doing a pretty decent job but these seem to be some pretty middling results at best. McNeill, who has not amounted to anything, and Danault, who has become a decent playmaking winger were dumped for the ill-fated 2016 sweep at the hands of the Predators. None of the players were retained. Teravainen, who appears to be a legit top-six forward was a salary dump to get rid of the horrible Bickell contract which Bowman also signed him to. I'm no prospects guy but the two KHLers chosen don't seem to be on any NHL radars. Hartman, who is probably a middle-to-bottom-six winger fetched a decent return -- Ejdsell does not look to be panning out, but Beaudin shows some promise and Kurashev is a question mark. Schmaltz, a likely second-line C returned Strome who is also a likely second-line C but could be a first-line C given his pedigree and first season in Chicago, and Perlini who is likely a middle-six winger. And then we have Jokiharju for Nylander, which... who the hell knows?

I say middling results but I guess it could be better than that -- McNeill and Danault were dealt for a playoff push that failed, and how many times does that happen? I hated the Teravainen deal at the time and I still do because I thought Chicago finally had a 2nd line C behind Toews but shedding the Bickell contract was necessary. I was surprised at the return on Hartman and still am. Jury is still out on the other two.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Hawks didn't feel Joker had any elite upside in any area and that he would his ceiling was a 2nd pairing dman. Now it sounds like the Hawks should have gotten more than Nylander but I feel pretty safe in saying that it's not as bad of a trade as a lot of people are making out.
    Even if this is true I have a hard time accepting this argument. The point is, even if they don't see a future for him in Chicago, they could and should have fetched more in a trade for him as other teams seem to value him.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Danault, who has become a decent playmaking winger
    Danault is actually a strong two-way center who just finished 7th in Selke voting. Add the 2nd round pick that became Romanov who looks like a solid bet so far to play a significant role in the NHL eventually and this might be one of Bowman's worst trades (and probably Bergevin's best!).

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rato View Post
    Even if this is true I have a hard time accepting this argument. The point is, even if they don't see a future for him in Chicago, they could and should have fetched more in a trade for him as other teams seem to value him.
    I agree that the Hawks should have gotten more. But on the other hand I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    Danault is actually a strong two-way center who just finished 7th in Selke voting. Add the 2nd round pick that became Romanov who looks like a solid bet so far to play a significant role in the NHL eventually and this might be one of Bowman's worst trades (and probably Bergevin's best!).
    I think Bergevin’s best so far is Galchenyuk for Domi.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    Danault definitely turned into a steal but you can't hold how the Romanov pick has turned out so far over Bowman. Picks don't have names attached to them at the time of the trade. The fact he gave up all of that for Dale Weise is the problem.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Danault definitely turned into a steal but you can't hold how the Romanov pick has turned out so far over Bowman. Picks don't have names attached to them at the time of the trade. The fact he gave up all of that for Dale Weise is the problem.
    Well, I said that he 'looks like' a solid 'bet' to play a significant role. I obviously can't read the future and I agree, he could amount to nothing. But so far, his development looks strong.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I think Bergevin’s best so far is Galchenyuk for Domi.
    It's in the running for sure but it's only been one season. I'd like to see Domi repeat this year (he did double his SH% from the previous year) and Galchenyuk in Pittsburgh has me intrigued. So far, though, definitely a big win for Bergevin. Feels like I'm hijacking the thread though, so I'll leave it at that!