Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gardnier?

The Great One

Default Re: Gardnier?

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Not to diverge off topic, but I think Jersey has a really good shot to sign Hall. Adding Subban and Hughes in one offseason is a huge, huge deal for that franchise. With guys like Boqvist and Ty Smith pretty close to making NHL impacts, they seem like a team that's definitely on the rise. I'd be surprised if after this season Hall doesn't want to be a part of what's happening there. The chance to play long-term alongside someone like Hughes will be pretty tempting, and they will back up the Brinks truck for him.
    Does NJD have the horses to make the playoffs this year? And if not, does Hall have the patience to stick with this group?

As for Gardiner, I'm a bit surprised there isn't more chatter out there.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Does NJD have the horses to make the playoffs this year?.
    I think they do. Maybe on paper they need another one or two pieces but that could be fixed at the deadline or inside the organisation. How Smith's and Boqvist's game will translate to NHL for example could be a factor to the team success.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    And if not, does Hall have the patience to stick with this group?
    Thats what Im asking myself too. I'm concerned about this.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Giant

I would guess Jersey is one of the teams who has talked to Gardiner, but perhaps they are reluctant to give out term with the Hall situation. Bringing in another big $$ player would be a double-edged sword.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would guess Jersey is one of the teams who has talked to Gardiner, but perhaps they are reluctant to give out term with the Hall situation. Bringing in another big $$ player would be a double-edged sword.
    Yeah they have a lot of cap space to offer him big money. Like 7mln(lol) BUT for just one year. Giving hypothetically Gardiner more than a year when hypothetically the new Halls contract will start would be a double-edged sword like you said.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    Yeah they have a lot of cap space to offer him big money. Like 7mln(lol) BUT for just one year. Giving hypothetically Gardiner more than a year when hypothetically the new Halls contract will start would be a double-edged sword like you said.
    If he's going to take a 1-year deal, then a team like NJ or even Pittsburgh (if they can open up some cap space) make the most sense. Teams on which he would be, at worst, the #2 Dman and be featured enough to turn this next year into a big payday. I don't think Toronto makes any sense as a destination for him to re-sign on a shorter term deal because he simply won't be featured enough with Rielly/Barrie in the mix. It wouldn't make sense for his long-term earnings potential.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

The Great One

Guys no F’ing way Gardiner signs a 1yr deal. No way. He probably wants to stay in Toronto so he waiting for Marner to get signed and then see. That’s my guess.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Guys no F’ing way Gardiner signs a 1yr deal. No way. He probably wants to stay in Toronto so he waiting for Marner to get signed and then see. That’s my guess.
    Yeah, I think there's a very low chance he signs a 1-year deal, I was just mentioning if he does it would only be in a certain type of situation.

Dobber Sports Veteran

If he's going to take a 1-year deal, then a team like NJ or even Pittsburgh (if they can open up some cap space) make the most sense. Teams on which he would be, at worst, the #2 Dman and be featured enough to turn this next year into a big payday. I don't think Toronto makes any sense as a destination for him to re-sign on a shorter term deal because he simply won't be featured enough with Rielly/Barrie in the mix. It wouldn't make sense for his long-term earnings potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Detroit makes a lot sense to me as well. I don't see him re-signing with Toronto. Don't see him taking any discount just to stay with Toronto. If Toronto are making any moves on defence they are probably for a 5th-6th defenceman.
    Devils & Predators fan

The Great One

If Tyler Myers is worth $6 million x 5 years, there's simply no good reason that Gardiner doesn't have a similar contract when he's a better offensive player, and isn't a huge drain defensively.

This is awesome.