Thread: Rank these D Prospects

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Rank these D Prospects

Have a big decision to make as I can keep 1 of the 3 prospect between q.hughes, makar, and heiskanen in one of my 9 keeper leagues. I know its too early to tell but I don't want to be kicking myself at the end of the year so thought I would throw it out there for some opinions. I know makar is probably the best option but with barrie their it might be hughes show on the pp in van, and heiskanen well.. he looks like he's been in the league for 4 years already... In a points only league where: D goals=2 points, assists=1 point, and D pp goal=3 points

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Rank these D Prospects

In order:

Makar
    Hughes
    Heiskanen

Not worried about Barrie being an impediment to Makar. Heiskanen is more of an all-around defenseman than an offensive producer. I think that Makar's offensive ceiling is a notch above Hughes.

The Great One

Heiskanen is the safest pick. I mean, as much as Makar and Hughes have high-end potential, they haven't played many NHL games yet, so we really don't know if they will struggle and the risk is that they will and ultimately not get the opportunity to play the regular minutes that we know Heiskanen can handle.

That said, Makar is the homerun pick here in this format. If he lines up on PP1 with Mackinnon and Rantanen, he could very easily put up insane numbers, and with the extra weight given to goals and PP goals in your league, I'd go with the homerun swing and keep Makar.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Makar is worth the gamble
    Heiskanen is proven, might not have the highest ceiling but I predict he’ll only get better and better
    Hughes is a special player, he’s last on my list but not by much.

Owner of two and previously had had all three but traded Hughes in a package for Dahlin
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm with JJJ - Makar, Heiskanen, Q.Hughes.

Makar - worth the homerun swing. Might take a year or two to claim the crown, but think he'll have the highest point output in your format in the long term.

Heiskanen - slightly more of a track record and huge goal totals as a rook - with that scoring system I put him (marginally) ahead of QH

Q.Hughes - gonna be a star as well, but not sold on his G totals being overly impressive. I mean, why shoot when you've got EP40 to your right and Boeser to your left?

Caveat: This is assuming that you can keep your guy beyond next/one year.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I guess I am going against the grain here. I love Makar quite a bit, but I still think Heiskanen is the keeper here.
    Is Makar that much better than Heiskanen? I don't think so. I guess maybe its splitting hairs, but for me I prefer Heiskanen but a nose over Makar.

CAN-AM National Hockey League ~ 6th Year
    CAN-AM United Hockey League ~ 6th Year
    CAN-AM Memorial Hockey League ~ 6th Year
    CAN-AM Hockey Association - 1st year

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by CAN-AM Commish View Post
    I guess I am going against the grain here. I love Makar quite a bit, but I still think Heiskanen is the keeper here.
    Is Makar that much better than Heiskanen? I don't think so. I guess maybe its splitting hairs, but for me I prefer Heiskanen but a nose over Makar.
    I think the main thing here is 'Fantasy Value', if it was a case of who is the better player in the future, I would probably say Heiskanen - I believe his all around game with be far superior to both. But in terms of fantasy, Makar takes it for me.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Monster

I am going with Quinn Hughes. I believe he is the most skilled and who is going to challenge Hughes for #1 PP QB? Right now Colorado has Barrie, and Dallas has Klingberg.

Dobber Sports Stud

Makar had serious 70 point potential, the only defence prospect with that kind of upside.
    Hughes is not far behind, should hit the 60s several times.
    I don't see much offense coming from heiskanen. In real life he's the guy is want, but in fantasy, I think he's far behind the other two.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Deity

You can slice these three pretty thin. I'd rank them Makar, Heiskanen and Hughes but I can't argue with anyone who ranks them any other way.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."