Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nikita Gusev - what's going on

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Nikita Gusev - what's going on

Does anyone have any updates on Gusev? He signs his ELC with Vegas and then doesn't play in the playoffs. Now he's an RFA.

Is it a bad sign for the future that he didn't play in the playoffs? Could this be another Shipachyov situation? Or were there valid reasons for this?
    What do you all think his next contract will look like? Are we talking big money here? 5-6mil per season or 3-4mil - makes a big difference in cap leagues.
    Could he bolt for the KHL? Another thing that him not playing in the playoffs makes me worry about?
    Where will he fit on Vegas' depth chart? They've got March-Karlsson-Smith and Patches-Stastny-Stone pretty set in STONE. Does he move someone like Smith down and take his spot, or is Gusev stuck in a third line role? Although I could see him and Cody Glass having some nice chemistry long term.

In short, is Gusev a gamble worth taking, or will this all blow up in our faces really fast? I know everyone here seems to love him, but it just seems to me like there are a few red flags. What do you think?

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Nikita Gusev - what's going on

I can think of precisely 0 NHL coaches who would put a player into game 5/6/7 of a playoff series after two practices, regardless of how talented they were or how much of a better option they were. Let’s not pretend like the NHL is full of progressive, forward thinking people who understand the value of risk-taking in highly variant situations. I wouldn’t worry at all about him not playing, he probably knew he wasn’t going to play until game 1 of round 2 if at all.

Dobber Sports Deity

He's headed back to the KHL, all pissed off because he didn't play in the playoffs.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He's headed back to the KHL, all pissed off because he didn't play in the playoffs.
    And so he can come back to the NHL as a UFA in 2020/21...which would not have been possible had he not signed the NHL contract for the 18/19 NHL "season".

Dobber Sports Expert

I think it's a little early to be overly worried about Gusev bolting but chuckcouples is entirely correct. On July 1st Gusev is free to sign with any KHL team and he could come back to the NHL as a UFA in 2020.
    As for salary, Gusev is a pretty unique situation but my guess would be somehwere around $4-5M for 2, maybe 3, years. I guess Dadonov is the closest comparison.
    He's likeliest to be the 3rd line LW, he may be able to displace Smith but that won't come easy.
    I'm not sure we'll see Glass nest year but I love the idea of a Gusev-Glass-Tuch 3rd line. McCrimmon is going to have to work some cap magic in the offseason and Vegas will need atleast a few guys making bare-minimum money to get Karlsson and Gusev re-signed along with a back-up goalie signed . Glass could wind up making the team more because of his $863,333 cap hit than anything. It remains to be seen what McCrimmon can pull off.

For all the ink spilled about Toronto/Winnipeg/Tampa cap crunch the Knights are actually currently over the cap (which currently includes Clarkson's $5.25M which will go on LTIR) with only 19 players signed so things must change there this offseason.

-One or both Haula & Eakin will likely be moved, there's a good chance Colin Miller is traded as well. Maybe Reaves too?
    -I think one of Holden or Merill is bought out (probably Holden)
    -Nosek, Pirri, and Carpenter are likely gone
    -Schuldt, Engelland, and Bellemare may be convinced to sign team friendly deals under $1M
    -No clue what the plan for a back-up is, maybe pencil in Dansk for now and plan to claim a goalie off waivers at the end of training camp?
    -Re-sign Karlsson to as close as Brock Nelson's contract as possible?

Then Gusev needs a contract on top of all that. McCrimmon could low-ball the hell out of Gusev and how he handles that may determine if he ever suits up for the Knights.

Also here's a good Vegas Sun article regarding their cap sitaution
    Here’s one way the Golden Knights can solve their salary cap dilemma

edit: Some Numbers

16 players under contract for next season at a $72.575M cap hit (Miller,Zykov,McKenzie removed from 19 stated above and Clarkson to LTIR). That leaves approx $10.425M to fit: Gusev, Karlsson, Nosek, Carpenter, Schuldt, Bellemare, Engelland, and a backup G.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Gusev either has a very good PR agent or he is legitimately interested in coming to the NHL (see interview link below). With Vegas having such big cap issues, some big salary guys have to be moved out. It's unclear if that will be Gusev, Stastny, Karlsson, Smith, MaxPac, Eakin, Reaves, or who. Regardless though, I think if he plays in Vegas that he will be used as an offensive force in the top 6 because other members of the top 6 will no longer be there.

https://sinbin.vegas/nikita-gusev-op...ian-interview/

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think if it doesn't work in Vegas then i think Tampa would be glad to trade for him as he was magic with Kutcherov in the worlds. He has proved himself year after year as a top offensive threat.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Onetimer View Post
    I think if it doesn't work in Vegas then i think Tampa would be glad to trade for him as he was magic with Kutcherov in the worlds. He has proved himself year after year as a top offensive threat.
    Tampa gave him away to Vegas in the first place and supposedly thought he would only amount to an AHL player (Gusev's words). Pretty sure the TB ship has sailed.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    Tampa gave him away to Vegas in the first place and supposedly thought he would only amount to an AHL player (Gusev's words). Pretty sure the TB ship has sailed.
    They traded him as incentive for Vegas to eat Jason Garrison's contract

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Expert

Jesse Granger✔@JesseGranger_

Breaking: Golden Knights looking at trade options for Nikita Gusev

A source told The Athletic the sides are far apart in negotiations, and Vegas could deal the Russian star if they can’t fit him under the cap.

Full story- https://theathletic.com/1058900/2019/07/01/golden-knights-looking-at-trade-options-for-nikita-gusev-with-large-gap-in-contract-talks/ … @TheAthleticNHL #VegasBorn

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ideal situation for him and for those who own him in fantasy hockey is that he's moved to a team where he's top 6 and gets some decent PP time. Not sure that either of those things happen in Vegas. Potential landing spots ? Maybe Montreal, Edmonton or Columbus ? Others ?

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hour View Post
    Ideal situation for him and for those who own him in fantasy hockey is that he's moved to a team where he's top 6 and gets some decent PP time. Not sure that either of those things happen in Vegas. Potential landing spots ? Maybe Montreal, Edmonton or Columbus ? Others ?
    Columbus makes a lot of sense but unless they want to hand over Elvis and/or some of their top prospects I'm not sure what they can give.

New Jersey wouldn't surprise me though. I'm not sure Shero is done.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Columbus makes a lot of sense but unless they want to hand over Elvis and/or some of their top prospects I'm not sure what they can give.
    Columbus has cap space and Vegas still has cap work to do. Gusev would be the sweetener.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Jeez... after Shipachyov and now Gusev... methinks Russians are going to hear the name "Vegas" and be like...

Just Zykov now... alone on anti-Russian Vegas-island.
    Wonder what Morozov and Dorofeyev are thinking...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Columbus has cap space and Vegas still has cap work to do. Gusev would be the sweetener.
    I agree totally with you and if you follow the Khl he was a better scorer than Panarin was in my opinion.