Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Big Daddy

Default Re: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Actually, I don't believe Skippy even commits to "I know a guy". Atleast SeaDawg does that and owns that position.

So I will say "Marner will NOT sign an offer sheet this summer". When this happens we can come back to this thread and praise me. Deal Skippy?
    Skippy has already agreed to reveal his source if Marner stays in Toronto.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Skippy has already agreed to reveal his source if Marner stays in Toronto.
    I certainly hope this isn't true. Skippy - don't reveal your source. That's how one loses a source.

Considering how rare offer sheets are, I think it's fair to acknowledge Skippy does have a source, should Marner choose to sign with someone else.
    I don't understand why Skip is getting such a hard time.
    Nice community manners.

As for trades, someone on twitter posted Ehlers and Trouba for Marner and Zaitsev. I don't mind this at all, as I consider Trouba a huge upgrade on Zaitsev. And Marner is a significant upgrade on Ehlers as well.
    Makes sense too, Jets might want to shake things up as they took a step back this year, as the Leafs did.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I certainly hope this isn't true. Skippy - don't reveal your source. That's how one loses a source.

Considering how rare offer sheets are, I think it's fair to acknowledge Skippy does have a source, should Marner choose to sign with someone else.
    Nice community manners.

As for trades, someone on twitter posted Ehlers and Trouba for Marner and Zaitsev. I don't mind this at all, as I consider Trouba a huge upgrade on Zaitsev. And Marner is a significant upgrade on Ehlers as well.
    Makes sense too, Jets might want to shake things up as they took a step back this year, as the Leafs did.
    The Leafs would probably only get 1 year out of Trouba before he walked as a UFA.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Nice community manners.

Don’t worry. I won’t have to reveal anything.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I actually don't mind the idea posed earlier about letting Marner go on an offer, take the 4 1sts, and try to sign Karlsson.
    It addresses a need and strengthens their organizational depth tremendously.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Ok, good. And for what it's worth, I think your source is real even if Marner has 2nd thoughts and the offer sheet never happens.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Nice community manners.

I don't see how an 15m in Marner & Zaitsev for 13m in Trouba/Ehlers helps alleviate Wpg's cap crunch
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I don't see how an 15m in Marner & Zaitsev for 13m in Trouba/Ehlers helps alleviate Wpg's cap crunch
    They have more flexibility cap-wise than the Leafs do.

The Great One

I actually don't mind the idea posed earlier about letting Marner go on an offer, take the 4 1sts, and try to sign Karlsson.
    It addresses a need and strengthens their organizational depth tremendously.
    How do you sign Karlsson? Didn't the leafs give up their first round pick? They'd have to trade for him, I think...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    How do you sign Karlsson? Didn't the leafs give up their first round pick? They'd have to trade for him, I think...
    erik karlsson's a UFA in 30 days
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Karlsson is a UFA
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I believe you, primarily because it would be pretty unnerving for a person to voraciously defend a meaningless lie for such a long period of time

I think the Leafs could be better off without Marner. He's a stud but it's very difficult to build a Cup-winning team when you're so strapped for cash and have so many holes to fill. The Hawks and Pens already had all of their pieces in place when they ran out of salary room, whereas Toronto has a few issues to address and it seems like they'll never let their pockets get deep enough to do so. I do not think they'll win the Cup with the current roster. And I do not know how they can address their needs and also keep Marner. Pretty shitty catch-22 if you ask me.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    erik karlsson's a UFA in 30 days
    That Erik, lol. I assumed he meant Wild Bill since Marner is a forward and I just can't see Erik signing in Toronto...

Dobber Sports Genius

The Leafs did not need (shouldn't have) to sign Tavares or Stamkos when they were UFAs. Both were too expensive given what the Leafs already had in the pipeline (Mathews, Marner, Rielly, Nylander). The Leafs had the foundation laid and simply needed to get them all under contract. Tavares came to town and blew it all apart.

Matthews is now "not the leader" of the team**. Nylander is a pariah. Marner sees no one else leaving money on the table and is going to get 'his'. The Cup window has been open for 2 years and the Leafs aren't strong enough or deep enough to be a real contender. The Leafs are about to have to shed pieces just to keep the current core, which has not shown to be good enough, together.

** See the Don Cherry argument about the Flames signing James Neal then not making 'feel important' - contributing to Neal's uninspiring year.

Start at about the 5:25 mark
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

I'd argue signing Tavares was fine, it's the 10 million going to Marleau and Zaitsev that is the "problem". And they should have let Nylander sit the year...