Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 35 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Well. Look. I love Crosby but that dude fetishizes 87/8.7 and has a backdiving contract the likes of which aren’t even legal in the current environment. It’s not even comparable or a relevant part of the conversation anymore.

Dobber Sports Stud

The number, agreed - not relevant. The intent?? He could’ve asked for $10,087,087.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    The number, agreed - not relevant. The intent?? He could’ve asked for $10,087,087.
    The point is he didn't have to because of a lack of thought put into the rules before signing the CBA.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    “Overinflated contracts” invariable implies that star players are overpaid, which is pretty much universally false. Matthews is overpaid because of what McDavid makes, but McDavid is underpaid, so Matthews is probably also underpaid
    The overinflated contracts I was talking about usually exist in the middle to bottom half of the roster. Think Jay Beagle, Kevin Hayes etc. Those are the contracts that add up under the confines of the salary cap and keep the true stars from earning what they “should” relatively speaking while also adding to the escrow issue.

That may be an oversimplification but McDavid and other players who dominate any and all metrics are a huge value, no issue there.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Crosby signed the 3rd richest contract at the time and it is still currently the third richest contract of all time. The only two people who have signed richer contracts are Shea Weber a week sooner and Alex Ovechkin 4 years sooner. I don’t know what point you’re trying to make, but I know it’s incorrect.

The Great One

Crosby signed the 3rd richest contract at the time and it is still currently the third richest contract of all time. The only two people who have signed richer contracts are Shea Weber a week sooner and Alex Ovechkin 4 years sooner. I don’t know what point you’re trying to make, but I know it’s incorrect.
    Not sure what point you are trying to make given those contracts were all signed before the 8 year term limit was put into effect.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Not sure what point you are trying to make given those contracts were all signed before the 8 year term limit was put into effect.
    When you can’t follow the conversation <<<<<

The Great One

best. thread. ever
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Master

tsn overdrive throwing marner under the bus

The Great One

As much as I don't think Marner is worth what Matthews received, I find it a bit strange that O'Neill (and others) get so pissed off at Marner for basically sticking to his demands from the get-go. This is a business, and from the very beginning Marner has said he wants a 5-year contract similar to Matthews. I suspect he'd take a little less than Matthews, but the term is key. Up till now, Marner hasn't done anything wrong. He hasn't held out (which is his right anyway), he hasn't gone to Switzerland (which he is allowed to do if he has no contract), he hasn't demanded a trade, he hasn't been bad-mouthing the Leafs publicly...all he's done is ask for a 5-year deal, like his buddy got.

And to add, Marner isn't really any different than Point, Rantanen, Laine, Connor, Tkachuk, etc., yet he is the one most vilified by fans/media. I guess that's the issue with playing in Toronto, which perhaps not coincidentally is why he wants a 5-year deal so he can leave the Leafs as soon as possible and no longer be a part of the insanity.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    As much as I don't think Marner is worth what Matthews received, I find it a bit strange that O'Neill (and others) get so pissed off at Marner for basically sticking to his demands from the get-go. This is a business, and from the very beginning Marner has said he wants a 5-year contract similar to Matthews. I suspect he'd take a little less than Matthews, but the term is key. Up till now, Marner hasn't done anything wrong. He hasn't held out (which is his right anyway), he hasn't gone to Switzerland (which he is allowed to do if he has no contract), he hasn't demanded a trade, he hasn't been bad-mouthing the Leafs publicly...all he's done is ask for a 5-year deal, like his buddy got.

And to add, Marner isn't really any different than Point, Rantanen, Laine, Connor, Tkachuk, etc., yet he is the one most vilified by fans/media. I guess that's the issue with playing in Toronto, which perhaps not coincidentally is why he wants a 5-year deal so he can leave the Leafs as soon as possible and no longer be a part of the insanity.
    You make no mention of the rights and responsibilities of the front office and Team in your deconstruction of this issue let alone fans. The team has a responsibility to manage the cap and ensure the best possible product is on the ice for the fans. Fans of a team are just that. Fans of a team. Players come and go. Some fans follow the players but no one is paying hundreds of dollars a ticket just to go see Marner, or Matthews, or Tavares play. Those dollars are spent to see the team play. The team win, the team challenge for a cup. A fan of the Leafs or any team for that matter wants to believe that the players for their team are as much a fan for the team they play for. When something like this happens that can threaten the best interest of a fan’s team, damn right you’ll see responses like O’-Neil’s.

I’ve seen it called Tribalism and if that’s the case, every team has their “tribe” (big or small).

Just like Kawaii stepping away from the raptors, it became clear that he wasn’t a fan of the team. Was his right, but he too will be forgotten soon as the team and fans prepare to step into the future.

Marner is not bigger than the team in a Leaf’s fans’ eyes. And until he signs, fans will see him as placing himself above the team rightly or wrongly, it doesn’t matter. A fan has the right to cheer or boo and critique any player because their existence makes payment of these contracts possible.

So O-Dog, critique away fella. Let the business get as messy as it has to. In the end, the fans have their team to prepare to watch and somewhere Kapanen is lick’n his chops at another opportunity to play up the lineup. “MITCH... take your time”.

(As a Kapanen owner in fantasy, I can find the Greener grass in this situation.)
    Pay no attention to my trade block who also has Marner and Tkachuk on it slap:

So make you move Marner. But most Leaf fans are preparing for the preseason, keeping tabs on those who are showing up and the talent that just displayed themselves in the rookie tourny.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

When you can’t follow the conversation <<<<<
    When you can't have a friendly conversation and just want to prove that everyone is "wrong" <<<<<
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson

Dobber Sports Titan

Optimistic Leaf fans will be looking at Kapanan and Nylander.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Optimistic Leaf fans will be looking at Kapanan and Nylander.
    and ARE! The thought of another Season Watching Kappy have an opportunity to continue to develop along premier talent... Maybe he won't need to "Drop back down" to a bottom 6 role this year.

Dobber Sports Jedi

meanwhile Point is on record as saying he wants to stay in TB - turned down an offer sheet from Montreal

... and remains unsigned

Laine, Connor, Boeser, Rantanen, Provorov, McAvoy -- oh right all of them too.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4