Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 ... LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Banned

Default Re: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Wouldnt be disapponted at all after all its a game and he tried his best!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what specifically Dreger might have nor what he might be flaunting.

An inability to be objective or independent?
    A lack of critical thinking?
    An absence of regard for his personal image?
    A nonexistent desire to preserve his professional reputation?

What he has that he can flaunt is actual, direct contact with Marner, even if it's through his father. At least we can say we know where he gets his information and it's 1st hand.

He's reporting what he's been told. I'm fine with that as long as what he's reporting is accurate. Just because you don't like what he's reporting doesn't change that. Guys like him, Mackenzie and Friedman don't spew random rumors off the cuff. He's getting information from someone.

FWIW, I also believe it's a negotiating ploy but I also believe there's some validity to the statement as well if a deal can't get done.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I don't understand why the idea of Marner going to Switzerland to play hockey is so outrageous. It makes total sense to me that he'd go somewhere to continue playing and stay in game shape while still trying to negotiate a contract with the Leafs.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I don't understand why the idea of Marner going to Switzerland to play hockey is so outrageous. It makes total sense to me that he'd go somewhere to continue playing and stay in game shape while still trying to negotiate a contract with the Leafs.
    It's the idea that he's threatening to go to Europe if he doesn't sign his big deal of 13+mill (guess). So he'll go away for the yr to sign a $470k deal with a European team. And all it does is kick the can down the road. It's not like the Le'Veon Bell thing where if he sat out all yr he'd be a FA. Marner would lose out on millions to just go do this again next yr, and likely never gain any positive points to up his argument.

He's threatening to go to Europe if not signed, not to stay in shape, but to put pressure on the Leafs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's the idea that he's threatening to go to Europe if he doesn't sign his big deal of 13+mill (guess). So he'll go away for the yr to sign a $470k deal with a European team. And all it does is kick the can down the road. It's not like the Le'Veon Bell thing where if he sat out all yr he'd be a FA. Marner would lose out on millions to just go do this again next yr, and likely never gain any positive points to up his argument.

He's threatening to go to Europe if not signed, not to stay in shape, but to put pressure on the Leafs.
    I don't know about that. I believe it is just to stay in game shape.

And I think he'd prefer to hold out, and potentially give up millions, to eventually get the term he wants. With Marner, it is all about term. He wants to control his free agent years, like Matthews. Marner will be rich no matter the contract he signs. What he really wants is to be able to decide where he signs as a UFA when this contract is up.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't know about that. I believe it is just to stay in game shape.

And I think he'd prefer to hold out, and potentially give up millions, to eventually get the term he wants. With Marner, it is all about term. He wants to control his free agent years, like Matthews. Marner will be rich no matter the contract he signs. What he really wants is to be able to decide where he signs as a UFA when this contract is up.
    If rumours are true, he's been offered 3, 5, and a 7 (or 8, can't remember) yr deals. So he has been given the 5yr, straight to UFA, deal but the dollar isn't there. So it's term and dollar.

If he wanted to stay in shape he'd go to Europe to play like Nylander, not sign a deal. Or go to London, or go to training camp paying for his own insurance. Threatening to go to Europe is the agents "move", and it's pretty weak.

Ferris's clients who've threatening to go overseas without an NHL contract:
    Gaudreau - Sept (can't find date) 2016. Signed October 10, 2016 (season started October 12, 2016)
    Sam Bennett - Threatened Sept 5th, 2017, Signed Sept 6, 2017 (season started October 4, 2017)
    Anthanasiou - Threatened Sept 5th, 2017, Signed October 23, 2017 (season started October 5, 2017)
    Josh Anderson - Threatened Sept 21, 2017, Signed October 2, 2017 (season started October 6, 2017)

None skated in Europe I'm pretty sure. He doesn't have many clients worth noting. Taylor Hall, Bogosian, Anthanasiou, Bennett, Nieto, Anderson, and then rookies. So considering he has 6 clients making over 1mill, and 4 of them threatened to go to Europe and all 4 failed in that regards, it's not a valid threat really. He could do it, but the Leafs understand it's a move that really isn't in Marner's interest. He'd be losing money, without gaining ground really.

The Great One

well, it is "mostly" about term...but obviously the dollar amount has to be there also.

I don't think Marner's threat to play in Switzerland is about leverage. I believe everyone involved knows that. I think it is just a smart move on his part to go somewhere to play hockey and stay in game shape. I believe Rantanen is doing the same thing, but in Finland.

Why not go to a beautiful and safe country like Switzerland to play hockey (like his buddy Matthews did in his draft year). It makes a lot of sense.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Titan

well, it is "mostly" about term...but obviously the dollar amount has to be there also.

I don't think Marner's threat to play in Switzerland is about leverage. I believe everyone involved knows that. I think it is just a smart move on his part to go somewhere to play hockey and stay in game shape. I believe Rantanen is doing the same thing, but in Finland.

Why not go to a beautiful and safe country like Switzerland to play hockey (like his buddy Matthews did in his draft year). It makes a lot of sense.
    If he gets hurt he loses millions to make thousands and a point?

That is literally why I don't, personally, take this Europe threat seriously. But we'll see. Leafs first game is October 2nd, Zurich Lions will have played 9 games by then.

Max NLA salary is $450k Swiss ($454,000USD) for 50 games. 454,000/50= $9,080/game. So if he plays all 9games then signs with the Leafs for 10+mill, he'll make $81,720 with the Zurich Lions. AKA, 0.8172% of his 10mill.

Marner might be ok with risking injury for a 1% extra amount of money. He could. And that's what I don't get. Guy will make barely anything in NLA compared to his NHL potential to prove a point. He still will be 5yrs away from UFA if he holds out. He'll be a yr old and thus get to UFA a yr older. It's just...I don't see it.

Dobber Sports Jedi

No one else has signed... #fakeTorontonews ... Trump understands
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

If he gets hurt he loses millions to make thousands and a point?

That is literally why I don't, personally, take this Europe threat seriously. But we'll see. Leafs first game is October 2nd, Zurich Lions will have played 9 games by then.

Max NLA salary is $450k Swiss ($454,000USD) for 50 games. 454,000/50= $9,080/game. So if he plays all 9games then signs with the Leafs for 10+mill, he'll make $81,720 with the Zurich Lions. AKA, 0.8172% of his 10mill.

Marner might be ok with risking injury for a 1% extra amount of money. He could. And that's what I don't get. Guy will make barely anything in NLA compared to his NHL potential to prove a point. He still will be 5yrs away from UFA if he holds out. He'll be a yr old and thus get to UFA a yr older. It's just...I don't see it.
    The injury risk is huge...good point for sure.

That said, if he does go to Switzerland, it won't be about money. He'd probably go there and play for free (it is all relative, but for him earning that type of salary is basically playing for free anyway). I maintain it is just about playing hockey and staying in game shape. The risk is don't play hockey, and get out of game shape. Or, go to Switzerland and risk injury but stay in game shape. Neither situation is ideal, but I could see him choose Switzerland over sitting around doing nothing.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Titan

That said, if he does go to Switzerland, it won't be about money. He'd probably go there and play for free (it is all relative, but for him earning that type of salary is basically playing for free anyway). I maintain it is just about playing hockey and staying in game shape. The risk is don't play hockey, and get out of game shape. Or, go to Switzerland and risk injury but stay in game shape. Neither situation is ideal, but I could see him choose Switzerland over sitting around doing nothing.
    One of my favourite parts about this forum is a legitimate discussion can happen. I hope he plays somewhere to keep him engaged. And I hope it's more intense than what Nylander did, but man that's quite the risk Marner is taking. I wouldn't, but I am also not a risk taker, I'd def be signed a while ago.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Whether he does or doesn't is not the point I wish to make. You're summary covers this pretty well. But 2014OG hit the nail on the head. If Marner chooses to essentially play for free and risk injury in order to scoff at a $9+million offer (making him one of the highest paid players in the league) just to prove a point, then I really have to question the judgement and general sanity of the Marner camp.

I would love to see MM16 suit up for the Leafs, not just as a fan of the Leafs but also as a fan of Marner... but if he's this serious about wanting to prove a point, then I will 100% support the team if/when they say "Ok Mitch, we can reconvene next off season to discuss your possible future in the NHL". Like 2014 said... this does nothing but kick the can down the street 100% with no cost to the Leafs other than in all likelihood, we're looking at a future trade of Marner for the 2020/21 season. But I hope for damn sure they make him sit.

I guess we'll see.

what is becoming far more clear is that there will be no offer sheet (until maybe Bergevin gets an itchy trigger finger and tries to make a charm out of 3 times).

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Whether he does or doesn't is not the point I wish to make. You're summary covers this pretty well. But 2014OG hit the nail on the head. If Marner chooses to essentially play for free and risk injury in order to scoff at a $9+million offer (making him one of the highest paid players in the league) just to prove a point, then I really have to question the judgement and general sanity of the Marner camp.

I would love to see MM16 suit up for the Leafs, not just as a fan of the Leafs but also as a fan of Marner... but if he's this serious about wanting to prove a point, then I will 100% support the team if/when they say "Ok Mitch, we can reconvene next off season to discuss your possible future in the NHL". Like 2014 said... this does nothing but kick the can down the street 100% with no cost to the Leafs other than in all likelihood, we're looking at a future trade of Marner for the 2020/21 season. But I hope for damn sure they make him sit.

I guess we'll see.

what is becoming far more clear is that there will be no offer sheet (until maybe Bergevin gets an itchy trigger finger and tries to make a charm out of 3 times).
    And this is more because players want a 3yr deal with a large salary in yr3 to get a QO that's large for yr 4, and any team will match that offer. And any player wanting 13mill wants 5yrs, and no team is willing to give up 4 1st round picks for 5yrs of a player.

Agents messed up judging the general interest of Offer Sheets.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

And this is more because players want a 3yr deal with a large salary in yr3 to get a QO that's large for yr 4, and any team will match that offer. And any player wanting 13mill wants 5yrs, and no team is willing to give up 4 1st round picks for 5yrs of a player.

Agents messed up judging the general interest of Offer Sheets.
    they sure did!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

I guess we'll see.

I completely agree...whether he sits out or goes to Switzerland, I think he'd be making a mistake. I feel he should just accept a reasonable offer and move on from this situation.

Unfortunately, I feel that Marner is getting poor advice/pressure from his agent and father. I'm sure the 22-year old kid just wants to play hockey, and whether he earns $8 million or $10 million a year won't change his life all that much. Either way, he'd be extremely wealthy and playing the game he loves. Marner himself doesn't strike me as someone with a huge ego, but more a kid who is deferring to others to negotiate his financial future and trusting that they will make the right decisions for him.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap