Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 38 ... LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I didn't say they would find a player like Marner using those picks. Losing Marner would be less than ideal, but so is paying a single player, a winger at that, $13M+ per season. The cap space and draft picks would allow Dubas to be creative in the trade market.

Is the chatter you are hearing from your twitter feed or do we have another "insider" on the forums?
    I think New Jersey just makes more sense than any other team. First off, Colorado has a ton of guys to sign in the next 2-3 offseasons and Sakic is going to be very shrewd about his use of cap space. The Islanders just ... don't really make a ton of sense. I'd think that management knows they over-performed last season riding the percentages all the way to a first round playoff victory, but that roster is far from a contender. Adding Marner now would handcuff them in a lot of ways if the cost of acquisition is so high.

Jersey is the only team with (1) the cap space, (2) the desire, and (3) they're in a situation with Taylor Hall where they are desperate to add high-end talent in an attempt to sign him. Losing Hall would be a major loss for a franchise that's on the upswing, and Shero is prepared to do whatever it takes to keep these guys together.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    As a Habs fan, I am not worried at all. First, Kotkaniemi would have to make it to RFA instead of signing before it gets to that point. Then Carolina needs to ensure that Kotkaniemi is a player they want to sign to a five-year deal. Then Kotkaniemi needs to agree to the deal. Lots of factors.

Plus how many times is there a revenge offer sheet? Offer sheets happen so infrequently that it would be tough to imagine a revenge offer sheet.
    With RFA's getting paid, he will make it to RFA. He will not sign early.
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    yeah good luck finding a player as good as marner with those 4 first rounders if said team is picking in the 25-31/32 overall range for the next 4-5 years .

I'm hearing some chatter that its the devils you need to worry about , not the islanders .
    While I agree with the general point of your post (i.e., a player like Marner is not easily replaceable), I don't think DusterDave is wrong either that you're better off taking the compensation at that point than signing Marner to that type of deal. Cap space seems to be increasingly valuable.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Cap space seems to be increasingly valuable.
    It's also kind of necessary to have a legal NHL lineup

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Legend

The Leafs don't need one high-end talent like Marner--at this point they need multiple depth pieces that are affordable and play above their pay grade. Four 1sts might not be such a bad thing.

I don't see the Leafs contending if they have 40 million tied up in 4 forwards (Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner) with all of them being finesse players for the most part.

Where is the sandpaper coming from? The snarl? The foot soldiers and playoff warriors? They got rid of Kadri, who was their only real sandpaper guy.

Even their two best D are highly-skilled players who aren't killers (Rielly and Barrie).

I think it's in the Leafs' best interest at this point to try and make a hockey deal with a team threatening to offer sheet Marner.

Try to get a couple of win-now contributors and a couple of 1sts in the deal.

Or just trade Marner outright and try to pry Tkachuk away with a sheet.

When the Leafs signed Tavares they pretty much chose him over one of their young kids. Now they need to deal with it, move on, and turn one of their kids (likely Marner) into supporting pieces to win a Cup--not finish high during the regular season and get bumped.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Titan

Considering Dubas has constructed teams that were all about skill (Greyhounds, Marlies, and now Leafs), I doubt they try and get top end players who are power forwards.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    With RFA's getting paid, he will make it to RFA. He will not sign early.
    Why not? Not every RFA makes it to the summer unsigned. Max Domi, for example, re-signed with Montreal before officially becoming an RFA. So did Drouin.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Why not? Not every RFA makes it to the summer unsigned. Max Domi, for example, re-signed with Montreal before officially becoming an RFA. So did Drouin.
    Times have changed. RFA demand more. I am sure Pasternak would love to be an RFA now compared to two years ago. Drouin is not worth the 5.5M a year (overpay). Regarding Domi, I bet he doesn't sign this year and he will be an RFA at this time next year. Maybe the Canes need a C/W.
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    Times have changed. RFA demand more. I am sure Pasternak would love to be an RFA now compared to two years ago. Drouin is not worth the 5.5M a year (overpay). Regarding Domi, I bet he doesn't sign this year and he will be an RFA at this time next year. Maybe the Canes need a C/W.
    Sure, the Canes could try to sign him, but thanks to playing in Arizona, Domi already has experience of playing in front of half-full arenas. Don't think he misses it.

I would say Domi will be signed before free agency starts next year. Bergevin normally doesn't allow his big name RFAs to get to a position where there is a possible offer sheet. He signs them quickly.

And again, the revenge offer sheet is more of a myth than anything. Carolina should be worried about improving their team, not trying to screw up Montreal.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Jedi

Seeing as the LA Clippers just traded 5 - 1sts for Paul George - letting go of 4 for Mitch Marner doesn't seem like such a steep price anymore... does it?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Seeing as the LA Clippers just traded 5 - 1sts for Paul George - letting go of 4 for Mitch Marner doesn't seem like such a steep price anymore... does it?
    One player makes a bigger difference in basketball, IMO. Plus, without that trade, I don't think they land Leonard.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    One player makes a bigger difference in basketball, IMO. Plus, without that trade, I don't think they land Leonard.
    Yup.... they pretty much traded 5 first round picks for Leonard and George.

And In the grand scheme of comparing hockey to baseketball, first round picks don't hold as much value.

In basketball if you can build a team of 5 great players that each play 40 minutes a night... you do don't need as much depth in the roster and can afford to give up more first round picks if you have a solid team already.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    acquiring George was a condition of Leonard signing
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    2021 unprotected first round pick (MIA)
    2022 unprotected first round pick
    2023 protected first round pick (MIA)
    2023 unprotected first round pick swap (OKC sends their pick, Clippers send theirs)
    2024 unprotected first round pick
    2025 Unprotected first round pick swap
    2026 unprotected first round pick

You can't trade away your own first round picks in back-to-back drafts. So yes Clippers sent away 4 first round picks, but they also did it over 6yrs, and 2 of the yrs they end up getting OKC's picks which should be higher than their original pick.

It is a different league, and the pick rules are different.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Will someone please give Marner an offer sheet already! This is getting ridiculous.