Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: [Rumor] Marner is gone from TO

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Do we? We have multiple screen names with no way to verify if they are actually "sources" or not. That's as thin as tissue paper.
    Maybe toilet paper???
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
    Maybe toilet paper???
    Stop cheaping out on toilet paper if it’s that thin man

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Guy. He has no insight on THE TEAM That may or may not Forward said offer sheet. If ... strong if an offer sheet is offered, OP has a 50% chance of being correct. Sign or not sign. That’s what he’s saying his insider info is.

He’s never said that he knows an offer sheet is coming from X team. If he did, his connection is with said team, not Marner. Right?
    Offer sheets don't work that way. Marner and his agent need to talk to other teams, negotiate the offer sheet, and then sign it. Present the offer sheet to Toronto, and let Toronto choose to match the offer sheet, or not.

That isn't as simple as sign or not sign. People seem to generally think that these RFAs are just going to be sent offer sheets without actually talking to the teams first.

The OP doesn't need a connection to any other team...he only requires a connection to Marner to know that an offer sheet is something that Marner wants.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Stop cheaping out on toilet paper if it’s that thin man
    Truth be told...I prefer baby wipes!

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Just wanted to put this on paper. We can come back to this when it happens...and no, I won’t tell you how I know/think it will happen.

Marner will sign a massive offer-sheet hoping the Leafs don’t match. Marner hates Babcock, does not like playing in Toronto and isn’t a fan of Tavares.
    Honestly, I think If skippy would have worded this as a bold prediction and said nothing about sources it would have been received differently. The “I Know something cause I know Someone and I ain’t gunna tell you who”. Immediately sends the BS Meters spinning. Atleast it sent mine spinning.

Or “If presented with an offer sheet, I expect Marner to sign it hoping for The leafs not to match.”

If you don’t want to reveal your source, don’t mention it and look like a genius watching it play out.
    But phrasing this as it was sounds arrogant and will result in many dismissing the statement as has happened here and continue to happen.

Don’t think the OP cares though. In the end his strategy did result in an 11 page thread.

Dobber Sports Monster

Well Toronto just paid a 1st round pick to clear Marleau's contract.

Administrator

That's an asset that won't be in play for them to gear up for the playoffs

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    That's an asset that won't be in play for them to gear up for the playoffs
    They likely won’t have cap space to gear up.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Don’t think the OP cares though. In the end his strategy did result in an 11 page thread.
    Actually, my strategy in creating this post was to tell the Dobber community that Marner won’t be playing for Toronto ever again as long as Babcock and Tavares remained, Toronto stayed Toronto, as well as other personnel and issues.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Actually, my strategy in creating this post was to tell the Dobber community that Marner won’t be playing for Toronto ever again as long as Babcock and Tavares remained, Toronto stayed Toronto, as well as other personnel and issues.
    Seems the doubters are a little nervous now and Marner is a Prima Donna.

Dobber Sports Stud

He is their top scorer. He should be making at least as much as Tavares and Matthews.

Its not stupid to give Marner 11 million.
    It was very stupid to give William Nylander 10 million - hes not worth more than 5 million.

Dobber Sports Ace

Sure, he's their top scorer. I don't think it's any coincidence he put up 25 points more than his previous best after he was joined at the hip with Tavares, however, who scored 47 goals. Something tells me Marner's assist total wouldn't be quite where it ended up otherwise.

Dobber Sports Guru

Maybe Tavares scored a career high 47 goals because he was ties to the hip with Marner. Maybe Tavares' goals total wouldn't be quite where it ended up otherwise.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Maybe Tavares scored a career high 47 goals because he was ties to the hip with Marner. Maybe Tavares' goals total wouldn't be quite where it ended up otherwise.
    Regardless of how you look at it...Marner is responsible for Tavares' goals or Tavares is responsible for Marner's assists, the truth is both views are correct. They found chemistry, and I have a hard time believing he won't return if Babcock or Tavares are with the team..JT just signed a long term deal, and isn't going anywhere, and while I am not a big Babcock fan either, stars having issues with their coach is not something new. The issue I have is that all of this could have been taken care of long time ago. They recognized Marner was a core player, and they could have either signed him to a long deal, at what would have seemed like very reasonable money now, or at the very least, explore a shorter bridge deal. Where have all the bridge deals gone? Teams have all but given up on the bridge, and in todays cap world, makes the most sense. The window for winning in the cap era is so short that signing long term deals doesn't make sense. You want a guy long term, but negotiations get bogged down for a variety of reasons, so you work out a 3-4 year deal for lesser money. The players are more willing to bet on themselves than ever before. They get decent money in the short term, and have the option to prove themselves, and cash in on the next deal. Its a win win, and this nonsense is in large part non existent. Instead you have precedence set, you have egos hurt, and parents and agents making it all the more problematic. I don't know if there is any truth to what Skippy suggested is going on behind the scenes, but the fact is, if Marner doesn't want to come back, then I am sure by meeting with teams starting next week, that teams will be very interested in making an offer. Whether that happens or not is to be determined. It will have to be a very rich deal, for Toronto not to match. Plus, what if Marner's camp finds out that of the teams that could even offer sheet him, what if they believe he's not worth $11M or more?

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
    Regardless of how you look at it...Marner is responsible for Tavares' goals or Tavares is responsible for Marner's assists, the truth is both views are correct. They found chemistry, and I have a hard time believing he won't return if Babcock or Tavares are with the team..JT just signed a long term deal, and isn't going anywhere, and while I am not a big Babcock fan either, stars having issues with their coach is not something new. The issue I have is that all of this could have been taken care of long time ago. They recognized Marner was a core player, and they could have either signed him to a long deal, at what would have seemed like very reasonable money now, or at the very least, explore a shorter bridge deal. Where have all the bridge deals gone? Teams have all but given up on the bridge, and in todays cap world, makes the most sense. The window for winning in the cap era is so short that signing long term deals doesn't make sense. You want a guy long term, but negotiations get bogged down for a variety of reasons, so you work out a 3-4 year deal for lesser money. The players are more willing to bet on themselves than ever before. They get decent money in the short term, and have the option to prove themselves, and cash in on the next deal. Its a win win, and this nonsense is in large part non existent. Instead you have precedence set, you have egos hurt, and parents and agents making it all the more problematic. I don't know if there is any truth to what Skippy suggested is going on behind the scenes, but the fact is, if Marner doesn't want to come back, then I am sure by meeting with teams starting next week, that teams will be very interested in making an offer. Whether that happens or not is to be determined. It will have to be a very rich deal, for Toronto not to match. Plus, what if Marner's camp finds out that of the teams that could even offer sheet him, what if they believe he's not worth $11M or more?
    Holy ****ing paragraphs man.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster