Thread: Drouin deal... is it worth it?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Drouin deal... is it worth it?

Hey all, looking at acquiring Drouin.

This is the deal on hand:
    Drouin + 17th overall redraft pick
    Vs
    Schmaltz + 8th overall prospect pick

The redraft pick should be good especially considering most teams will drop at least 2 decent players in the offseason.

Would you guys do it or hold on to that 8th overall? REP to all who can give me some quick feedback!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Drouin deal... is it worth it?

I'd prolly hold. I like drouin more than schmaltz but I think I'd rather have that 8th overall. I just don't trust drouin to ever really be more than what he is now.

Dobber Sports Sage

I am sticking with Schmaltz and the 8th. Drouin went backwards this year while many others on his team seemed to step it up. Given what we have seen from Drouin is a verified pattern of underachievement and attitude/character issues, hes not a worthy gamble anymore.

Big Daddy

I think it was missed that the 17th overall is for the NHL redraft while the 8th overall is a prospect draft pick, which is much less valuable in my opinion. Whoever you draft with that pick will likely be 1-3 years away minimum, of being fantasy relevant. If you prefer Drouin to Schmaltz I’d go ahead and make the trade.

Dobber Sports Giant

Damn... I was hoping for the opposite reactions lol!

I’m more worried about losing Schmaltz than I am the 8th overall but I was good to get that 17th overall redraft pick (could be a guy like Vatanen, Perron, Dvorak or it could even be undrafted prospects that had gone unclaimed from our earlier prospect draft.

I’ll give it a few more hours before I give the other manager my final decision but thanks a lot for the quick insight gents! Will REP you ASAP!
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I think it was missed that the 17th overall is for the NHL redraft while the 8th overall is a prospect draft pick, which is much less valuable in my opinion. Whoever you draft with that pick will likely be 1-3 years away minimum, of being fantasy relevant. If you prefer Drouin to Schmaltz I’d go ahead and make the trade.
    That was my thinking! I have a win now team and I’m hoping that Drouin would kick in his untapped potential come next year. I know Schmaltz has not proven much but I liked what I saw until now so that’s why I was hesitant to package him. It seems not many are still high in JD though...

Minors:

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    This.

Dobber Sports Genius

Drouin is a headcase. I want to say he will never but you shouldn't say never put up over 70pts in Montreal. Don't count on it. What you'd hope for is he gets moved out of town and that could happen. Still probably better than schmaltz tho.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    Drouin is a headcase. I want to say he will never but you shouldn't say never put up over 70pts in Montreal. Don't count on it. What you'd hope for is he gets moved out of town and that could happen. Still probably better than schmaltz tho.
    Ya that’s exactly what’s getting me to go back and fourth on this one... it’s all between his ears... will it ever click? Cause if it does, man can he be a solid player down the stretch! I’d kick myself for passing up on it, but I am giving up some value to gamble in this so that’s where I’m at... I just don’t want to sit on this one and have the other manager back away...

Minors: