Thread: Targeting Laine for Wheeler +, Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Targeting Laine for Wheeler +, Thoughts?

Team in Sig.
    I've been competitive for a long time but this year things just haven't panned out and I'm sitting in 7th place barely hanging on to a playoff spot. There are two dominant teams this year who are likely to crush me in the playoffs so I'm likely better off selling when I have the chance. A buddy who has Laine is interested in trade options. I'm thinking of giving up Wheeler, who he is interested in. Although he's been great the past few years he is 32 and has to be declining soon. Do you think this swap is worth targeting and who else would I have to throw in? Any other help appreciated
    14 team Yahoo H2H: Keep 4
    G,A,PPP,PIM,SOG,Hits,Blocks,W,GAA,SV%,SHO
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 6 Bench
    Team: JT Miller, Svechnikov, Rantanen, Connor, Forsberg, Schmaltz, Fiala, Buchnevich, Bennett, Hertl, Couturier, Peterka, Dahlin, Sergachev, Nurse, Burns, Sanheim, Sorokin, Raanta, Kochetkov, Woll
    IR: Andersen, Pacioretty

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Targeting Laine for Wheeler +, Thoughts?

I certainly wouldn't be adding to wheeler but then it's not a move I'd likely make in the first place. If I did decide to make it, I'd want the add in the form of picks or another keeper.

In a 14 team league with 4 keepers your keeper situation isn't great (not terrible but not great). Laine to wheeler is a downgrade next year so you have to get some Additonal Value if you do it. In a keep 4 there are no rebuilds so if you're out of this season then it's time to start thinking about winning next season. Wheeler helps you more with that next season than Laine, almost certainly.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with MZac. I want Wheeler over Laine in a keep 4.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Laine has a LOT of work to do to become half the player Wheeler is. Judging by his development curve so far it could be another couple of years before he gets himself anywhere near Wheeler's level.

If anything the other guy should be the one adding a piece or two to Laine if he wants to get Wheeler, and in a keep four its unlikely you'll get back a second keepable player so you'd still basically be looking at Laine for Wheeler straight up at the end of the day and that's a downgrade.

Keep Wheeler and maybe revisit the scenario next season.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks, you guys have talked me out of it. I'll revisit again next year.
    14 team Yahoo H2H: Keep 4
    G,A,PPP,PIM,SOG,Hits,Blocks,W,GAA,SV%,SHO
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 6 Bench
    Team: JT Miller, Svechnikov, Rantanen, Connor, Forsberg, Schmaltz, Fiala, Buchnevich, Bennett, Hertl, Couturier, Peterka, Dahlin, Sergachev, Nurse, Burns, Sanheim, Sorokin, Raanta, Kochetkov, Woll
    IR: Andersen, Pacioretty