Thread: Info on these undrafted guys

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Info on these undrafted guys

This is NOT for the league in my sig and more of a general question.

Been looking for info on these guys and I would appreciate if you could help me out.

Jayden Halbgewachs : he kinda destroyed juniors and started off strong but seems to have slowed a bit. Size is a concern at 5'8", especially since I've read that his skating is ok, but not great. Chances this guy makes it to the NHL in a top 6?

Joel L'Esperance : out of the college ranks, he's got size at 6'2" and is now at 39 points in 45 games in his first full pro season. Never heard of this guy before, any chance he makes it to the NHL (middle 6? bottom 6?) or is there something that explains why I had never heard of him? Looks too good to be true, so I'm wondering what the catch is lol.

Trevor Moore : Had a great stint with the Leafs with 3 points in 7 games and some PP time. With the forward depth that Toronto has, is he stuck in a bottom 6/AHLer role (unless he's traded)? Or is he just that, a bottom 6/AHLer?

Any futher info on these guys would be much appreciated as I'm debating which one I should pick up (incredibly deep farm system, if I don't take them, someone else will, but I can only take one).

Thanks!
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Info on these undrafted guys

Moore's a great workhorse. Underrated, but as you already said, he's buried. He'll need a couple injuries to get regular 3rd line time. A trade could come as another team is going to see him as a mid-6 forward. He could become a really solid 3rd line C for someone in a couple years.

If you're small - you need to be quick. If Halbgewach's skating is a question mark. He either needs off the charts hockey IQ or to fix his skating. I'd watch him for a while longer before making a decision. I much prefer Barre-Boulet & Michael Phillips to him as far as undrafted/late draft small guys go. Brendan Leipsic lead the WHL in scoring as well, with 120pts for Portland.

L'Esperance is the epitome of a late bloomer. of the 3 you listed - he's the one I'd take the chance on. At 6'2" it could be purely due to his size it took him this long to break out. Knocking off 39 in 45 in the AHL is something that should be taken notice of. Dallas is starved for secondary scoring. He could have a shot at making the team out of camp next year. I'd hope he becomes a solid 3rd liner.

Reading a bit about him Laxdal compared him to Jay Beagle with more offensive upside. And also Joel Otto as a throwback heavy Centre. He's tied for the AHL lead in goals. In his first pro-season that's impressive. There was some surprise that Condra was called up over him a little while back, but apparently L'Esperance had told his coach he wasn't comfortable playing wing at the pro-level yet. He played exclusively Centre at Mich-Tech for 4 years and all year in the AHL. With Spezza, Faksa, Dickenson down the middle on lines 2-4; baring injury - he'd be called up to play wing. Unlikely he sees the NHL this year, although it sounds like that may be his preference.

I'd take a look for Barre-Boulet first. Dobber Prospects a couple weeks back did a good dive into Phillips that's worth a read as well.

L'Esperance would be my choice of those 3 though...
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Info on these undrafted guys

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'd take a look for Barre-Boulet first. Dobber Prospects a couple weeks back did a good dive into Phillips that's worth a read as well.

L'Esperance would be my choice of those 3 though...
    Thanks so much for all the info!!

Barre-Boulet is already owned, so is Phillips, who is not undrafted either. All drafted NHL drafted prospects are already owned (unless cut loose from a GM), so I'm looking for undrafted guys like Barre-Boulet (who was taken at my turn, so I took Suomela instead) and the three I mentionned.

Still, thanks again!
    On a fantasy hockey break.